LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Romantic > Dating

GF doesn't like Marijuana

Dating Dating, courting, or going steady? Things not working out the way you had hoped? Stand up on your soap box and let us know what's going on!

Like Tree121Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th March 2019, 10:48 AM   #31
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0nnivain View Post
I am very sorry that you are using this for medical reasons for a serious condition. Perhaps if you tell her that she will soften her stance but for some people, me included, any self medicating behavior without the proper prescriptions is a non starter & I don't want that behavior in my life. For example, alcohol is legal but somebody who drinks to avoid dealing with life is not somebody I want to be around.
* I have told her, I have shown her medical journals explaining the benefits. The only real response is "well why hasn't it cured your nausea yet". Which is part of the problem, I think part of it is that she is so dug into her stance, her ego has become part of the equation
* I have recommendations for weed from 6 different doctors in 4 different fields of medicine. I have shown her my Rx, from my ivy league educated Dr, that was so smart he graduated medical school at 20 (not college, medical school)
Old 12th March 2019, 10:49 AM   #32
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneL View Post
If you have a brain tumor and have legitimate need for medical marijuana, shouldn’t you go to a doctor and get the appropriate prescription, instead of self-medicating yourself?
I do have a legitimate Rx, not only is it better to have guidance, but medical is cheaper and better quality than from the street anyway.
Old 12th March 2019, 10:50 AM   #33
Established Member

Dude this has nothing to do with her "ego" this has a lot to do with her beliefs. She doesn't approve of it, and that's her right not to. This should be a dealbreaker for you.

You are a fool if you believe that having each others passwords = trust.
Old 12th March 2019, 10:53 AM   #34

You can research all you want. You can show her all the proof you want. She doesn't like it and she doesn't HAVE to like it.

Your choice is the pot or the relationship with her.

We can debate all day long if it is beneficial, prescribed, helps you, etc. and she can STILL decide it is a deal breaker for her.
Old 12th March 2019, 10:54 AM   #35
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coup La-La View Post
I do have a legitimate Rx, not only is it better to have guidance, but medical is cheaper and better quality than from the street anyway.
See your own post #7. Medical marijuana is different from what you’re doing to get high though.
Old 12th March 2019, 10:55 AM   #36
Established Member

Quote:
Yes I agree with this. My 82 year old mother uses medical, and the cost is a fraction of what she used to pay for prescriptions. People don't realize how damaging some pain relief prescription drugs are to your kidneys, etc. BUT I digress, you can't convince everyone the benefits of MJ/CBD. It's still new, and more testing is still needed. The drug companies are all over it, so in future there will be easy prescribed forms for the public. Then the stigma will settle down.
Old 12th March 2019, 11:01 AM   #37
Established Member

OP doesn't want to pick - he wants both.

For me personally, hard drugs and any excessive anything (not just daily - binge drinking for instance) is a hard pass.

I could compromise on marijuana only as a recreational activity or as a medicine away from my kids that does not affect me or the relationship, if all else in the relationship goes well and if I've been told in advance.

OP, your gf doesn't seem to be totally against it on principle so there might be room to get a compromise as long as it's all on the table.
Old 12th March 2019, 11:03 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleblackheart View Post
OP doesn't want to pick - he wants both.

And I want to be a millionaire that can spend all of my spare time hanging out at a posh country club or playing with puppies. But unfortunately, we can't all get what we want in life. And it seems like his GF isn't going to let this go if it has been a regular point of contention for them.
Old 12th March 2019, 11:09 AM   #39
Established Member

So the compromise you have in mind is you don't change a thing and she has to change and accept it ?

That seems to be the way I'm reading this thread, you have all your bases covered on why it's okay to smoke and she doesn't...

I'm not trying to convince you to stop smoking..I can't.. only the addict can after the denial goggles come off and that isn't going to happen and I'm not saying it should either but it seems you have an answer for everybody here for you to not change.

I don't think you are going to get her to change her mind but do think you should talk this out with her more to at the very least come to a real understanding on where you both sit, it seems you are both incompatible and that isn't either of yours faults.. it just is...
Old 12th March 2019, 11:09 AM   #40
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackie9 View Post
You are in denial. You are fighting because it's incompatibility. It's easy to see things are starting to unravel. I'm an old gal, I can see it from here you two don't have what it takes to last for the long haul because I have been there. And like I always say in these threads, smoking weed is a lifestyle. If your lifestyles don't fit, you are not compatible. Your GF is waiting for you to quit. You are not going to quit, you make all these excuses, and I know you can live without it, so there you have it. It's either the pot or her.
If things were going to truly "unravel" it would've happened a long time ago. We've been together for years, no matter how many times she storms out saying "I can't be with an addict", she ALWAYS comes back, like a boomerang.

Not to brag but my GF is HOT (like Victoria's secret hot), she has plenty of other dating options, even professional athletes have asked her out, yet she still comes back. To the best of my knowledge, she's never cheated nor even gone on a date with another man, and when she comes back her first words are always "you better not have had sex with another woman"

Let's be honest the term "lifestyle" is something to imply that the other is immoral or undesirable. She and I both wake up and go to work everyday, come home and watch the news. We don't socialize at different levels, we have almost the same sleep schedule, and sometimes I even go to church with her when she asks. Me taking 4 -7 minutes a day to do anything (reading, jumping rope, smoking weed) is not a "lifestyle", I don't think about weed during the day, I don't spend any significant amount of time acquiring it, I don't even pay for it 1/2 the time.

Here's the question that nobody has answered: How is my health an "excuse"??? When I spoke to my doctors (1st and 2nd opinion) about my tumor, they both were shocked that I didn't have hearing loss, blurry vision, or nerve damage, I have searched up and down, and the neuroprotective qualities of THC is the only explanation I can find as to why I have evaded these effects [not my diet, my exercise regimen, the climate].

Can you honestly say that if you had reason to believe that if [x] has saved your hearing, you wouldn't consider it something to keep around?

As yes I can live without weed, like how I can live without electricity, I can live without a car, I can live without the internet, I can live without sex....but they all make life a lot easier. Would you give up something like that just to conform to the lies told about that thing?
Old 12th March 2019, 11:11 AM   #41
Established Member

Did you smoke pot before you tried it for nausea ?
Old 12th March 2019, 11:12 AM   #42
Established Member

ten characters.

Move to colorado and get edibles.
Old 12th March 2019, 11:17 AM   #43
Established Member

Quote:
Would you give up something like that just to conform to the lies told about that thing?
I gave up drinking because I was powerless over it and I had ruined a relationship that meant a lot to me, I also was ruining all the relationships I had at the time.. here I am 32 years later thanking God I didn't believe all the lies...

This is supposed to be about you and her not me or us...
If she doesn't want someone who self medicates with pot then so be it.. you need to get on the same page with her not us...

Find out why she feels this way..I know you say she has said she doesn't have any real reasons.. but yes she does.. find out what they are and listen to them.
Old 12th March 2019, 11:25 AM   #44
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallysbears View Post
But unfortunately, we can't all get what we want in life. And it seems like his GF isn't going to let this go if it has been a regular point of contention for them.
I hear you. I'm just saying he's not the one in the 'choosing' position. Doesn't mean he should or he is justified in this choice.

He can't or shouldn't force her. Equally, he can at least discuss and see what she's wiling to compromise on. So it's her call.
Old 12th March 2019, 11:25 AM   #45
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackie9 View Post
Dude this has nothing to do with her "ego" this has a lot to do with her beliefs. She doesn't approve of it, and that's her right not to. This should be a dealbreaker for you.
Did you see the Netflix documentary about the Flat Earth Society? From the results of their own experiments, they could see the earth is round....but their ego wouldn't let them say that they had been wrong, so they just kept espousing the same ideas. This is the exact same principle.

I went for the MRI because I've been having dizzy spells, she's seen me fall and hurt myself, she's see how sick I've been, and she's also seen me leave the house like that, go smoke weed, come back 6 minutes later, feeling 90% better......observing that 1st hand and still taking issue is EGO

Saying: I don't like [x] because of these specific reasons, is a stance

Saying: I can't refute the scientific evidence your presented, nor can I provide any of my own is EGO it's about feeling that your inflexibility is more important than actual facts, is about pride. Let's call out self absorption for what it is, and not make excuses for it.

I love her more than I've ever loved a woman, as I said before this is the only thing we argue about. I understand that everyone has something about them you don't like. Every relationship has compromise in it. i.e. I have a friend who is Jewish and married to a Palestinian. If in my relationship it's just 1 thing, that is something to work with. MOST people in relationships can't say that they only ever have disagreements about 1 thing.