GF doesn't like Marijuana (update: She's gone for good)

Coup La-La

• Author
So you’re getting medical prescriptions in a place where medical marijuana is illegal?

My Rx is from another state

It seems like she has a problem with the marijuana itself, as you mentioned she hasn't noticed any negative side effects.

If she can't accept your use of it, then she isn't accepting YOU or your choices 100%. Plus you said it benefits you, how can a 'loving' gf hate on something that makes you better?

I wouldn't spend my life with someone who refuses a part of who I am. It's all or nothing baby.

• Like 1

If she is not accepting this with the medical prescription, she's jeopardizing your health.

You profess that you love her & want to keep her in your life & smoke too. That is not going to happen. She is too short sighted. You have to choose. In your shoes I know which I'd pick but the decision is yours. You can't have both her & the life saving medicine. Think about how loving she isn't, if that is the choice she is foisting on you.

• Like 2
littleblackheart

Yes, I guess since it's an incompatibility, one of you will have to decide.

It's one of those 'love doesn't conquer all' situations where neither of you will get what you want if you can't reach a compromise that works for both.

Sorry you're both finding yourselves in this situation.

Wallysbears
There have been many instances in my life where I was told "one or the other" i.e. "play baseball or play soccer" "go to college or get a [white collar] job" "work in finance, or be a creative type" ..... and in all instances I had both. Asking me to pick one is like being as which child I want to survive, this isn't Sophie's Choice I believe all of us can make it out of the camp alive.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084707/

You are missing the point here that SHE has a choice here also. You may want BOTH but it sounds as though she does not. You cannot MAKE her accept you smoking pot. It could and may very well be a deal breaker for her. You need to come to terms with this.

• Like 2
You have a brain tumor, but you want to get married? Pot isn't going to make it go away. Is it not operable?

Seriously??? You're suggesting that he undergoes an invasive and dangerous surgery just because his gf doesn't like that he smokes pot? Dumbest idea I've ever heard.

And yes, cannabis has shown to shrink tumours of all sorts, including 'deactivating' the overgrowth that causes tumours in the first place.

Edited by Hopeful30

I actually was sort of wondering if it was meaner then that. the GF may be picking on the pot smoking to not have to deal with the brain tumor. It sounds way more socially acceptable to say I broke up with you because you smoke pot rather then I'm dumping you because you have a medical problem.

• Like 1
I actually was sort of wondering if it was meaner then that. the GF may be picking on the pot smoking to not have to deal with the brain tumor. It sounds way more socially acceptable to say I broke up with you because you smoke pit rather then I'm dumping you because you have a medical problem.

OP, how long have you been together? I imagine that medical ailments are scarier to younger couples than, for example, couples of many years who have established their partnership thin and thick.

From the American Cancer Society:

More recently, scientists reported that THC and other cannabinoids such as CBD slow growth and/or cause death in certain types of cancer cells growing in lab dishes. Some animal studies also suggest certain cannabinoids may slow growth and reduce spread of some forms of cancer.

There have been some early clinical trials of cannabinoids in treating cancer in humans and more studies are planned. While the studies so far have shown that cannabinoids can be safe in treating cancer, they do not show that they help control or cure the disease.

Relying on marijuana alone as treatment while avoiding or delaying conventional medical care for cancer may have serious health consequences.

From the National Cancer Institute:

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has not approved Cannabis as a treatment for cancer.

--

I just hope you're seeing a neurologist or neurosurgeon if you have a brain tumor.

Edited by preraph
  • Like 3
* I have told her, I have shown her medical journals explaining the benefits. The only real response is "well why hasn't it cured your nausea yet". Which is part of the problem, I think part of it is that she is so dug into her stance, her ego has become part of the equation

* I have recommendations for weed from 6 different doctors in 4 different fields of medicine. I have shown her my Rx, from my ivy league educated Dr, that was so smart he graduated medical school at 20 (not college, medical school)

None of this is relevant. She doesn't think she can accept it and this is her prerogative. If you can't accept her stance, then move on to someone who agrees with you. It really is this simple.

• Like 3

Well, I guess it's possible she's read up on it herself and either doesn't believe you or if she does believe you, she thinks there's better treatments out there.

She may also have had a very different perspective if you hadn't been a stoner who kept quiet about it when you first met.

• Like 1
  • Author
Are you sure you live in DC?

lol, I was in DC on a temp job when I started this account, I don't live there anymore

• Author
Yes, I guess since it's an incompatibility, one of you will have to decide.

It's one of those 'love doesn't conquer all' situations where neither of you will get what you want if you can't reach a compromise that works for both.

The woman I was dating before her was 100% sure she didn't want children, whereas I do want them. That's not something we can compromise on, because even if I had children with a surrogate, my ex would've still been their defacto mother, and would have to care for them if I died prematurely. I couldn't just keep kids in the linen closet and talk to them while she's asleep. THAT IS INCOMPATIBLE.

This is a problem that can be fixed, the only question is, what is the solution.

This is a problem that can be fixed, the only question is, what is the solution.

Stop using or break up.

• Like 1
  • Author
I actually was sort of wondering if it was meaner then that. the GF may be picking on the pot smoking to not have to deal with the brain tumor. It sounds way more socially acceptable to say I broke up with you because you smoke pot rather then I'm dumping you because you have a medical problem.

I can't rule that out altogether, but he have gone through this breakup / makeup cycle so many times before. When I told her about my tumor she cried non-stop for a week. Times like this make me wish I could read minds, like in the movies.

lol, I was in DC on a temp job when I started this account, I don't live there anymore

So the medical marijuana prescribed by your former physicians are in the exact same form as the recreational weed you used to smoke?

Is there any consequence for using/keeping weed illegally in your current state? Do you think your gf may be uncomfortable with the fact that it’s illegal?

On top of this huge incompatibility issue about the weed, you two are on a dysfunction break up / make up merry go round? Oh for heaven's sake, stop the music & get off.

Her crying because she doesn't want you to die from this brain tumor is not a genuine indication that you two should remain in a romantic relationship. There are too many major points of conflict.

• Like 2
So the medical marijuana prescribed by your former physicians are in the exact same form as the recreational weed you used to smoke?

Is there any consequence for using/keeping weed illegally in your current state? Do you think your gf may be uncomfortable with the fact that it’s illegal?

Both good points. However, I given the way the OP worded his initial post, it sounds like he's also still using for recreational purposes.

Does she have a job which requires her to stay away from illegal activity?

• Author
You are missing the point here that SHE has a choice here also. You may want BOTH but it sounds as though she does not. You cannot MAKE her accept you smoking pot. It could and may very well be a deal breaker for her. You need to come to terms with this.

THIS IS NOTA POLITICAL STATEMENT

In 2002 nobody in the US was thinking about going to war in Iraq, but the President at the time changed the narrative, changed the focus, and he got the electorate on board with his idea.

If he could do that with 300,000,000 people, I think it's a least worth trying with one. Especially when you're talking about someone you love. She obviously has a deep connection if she always comes back, that's why when she talks about breaking up I just say "Ok my love, talk to you tomorrow" I know that is an extreme analogy, but still relevant.

"If you don't like what's being said, change the conversation"

• Author

I just hope you're seeing a neurologist or neurosurgeon if you have a brain tumor.

I've spoken to 2, both of them say that there is evidence that weed will help me, but they don't know enough about it. I wouldn't deal with something life threatening on my own.

I've spoken to 2, both of them say that there is evidence that weed will help me, but they don't know enough about it. I wouldn't deal with something life threatening on my own.

How big is your brain tumor? Is it benign at this point??