LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Romantic > Dating

GF doesn't like Marijuana


Dating Dating, courting, or going steady? Things not working out the way you had hoped? Stand up on your soap box and let us know what's going on!

Like Tree121Likes
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th March 2019, 6:23 PM   #151
Established Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 1,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcon1986 View Post
Brain tumors are a complex disease and the treatment is very complicated. I can share what is known for sure about the relationship between brain tumors, nausea, and marijuana
The Op maintains that the nausea and vomiting predated the brain tumor.
Normm is offline  
Old 14th March 2019, 6:27 PM   #152
Established Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: God save the Queen.
Posts: 1,843
in that situation it is still possible he never thought the nausea/ vomiting was due to brain stuff, until years down the road when he found a neurologist. It's also possible he had nausea and vomiting due to an unrelated illness. Would have to see his doctors records to be sure.
Garcon1986 is offline  
Old 14th March 2019, 7:27 PM   #153
Established Member
 
Coup La-La's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: DC
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normm View Post
You're gonna have to tell her that the weed smoking isn't going to stop and she can either accept it and stop complaining or agree that it's a deal breaker and go your separate ways.
Need to find the trick, find common ground i.e. how some of the people here have suggested vape pens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneL View Post
Maybe the nausea was related to your brain tumor, which might have been there (with a smaller size) before it was discovered.
The neurologists have said that my tumor has been growing slowly for at least 8 years. Although I have had nausea my entire life, it definitely has been worse the last couple of years. I've been keeping a log of when I feel bad, time, what I ate ect, you might be on to something there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basil67 View Post
In your first post about weed use around two years ago, you described yourself as a dedicated recreational user who had zero intention of stopping or changing (paraphrasing). But no word at all about long term nausea which would have apparently existed back then. Therefore, I think your argument for medicating long term, debilitating nausea is just a little too convenient.

Given the contrast between the two posts, I don't believe you have a tumour or long term nausea. I think it's simply a manipulative strategy to get support for recreational weed.
Just because I didn't mention, doesn't mean it didn't exist. My grandfather used use a cane, and bragged to everyone about how cool he looked, and how expensive it was, he almost never talked about the fact that he used that cane because of injuries he got in the Korean war. One doesn't rule out the other.

I have Dr records going back to when I was in pre-school confirming the long term problem I've had. I am a very open and independent person, if I only wanted to get high I would have no problem admitting as much, because just about all the people I know who only smoke recreational are still functional adults. I think you're reading into the discrepancy a little too much [pun fully intended]
Coup La-La is offline  
Old 14th March 2019, 7:36 PM   #154
Established Member
 
Coup La-La's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: DC
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normm View Post
His back posts over the past 6 years mention he's been a recreational pot smoker for most of his life with no mention of lifelong debilitating nausea until February 2018 and nothing about a brain tumor until last week on this thread.
The tumor was only discovered 5 weeks ago


Quote:
Originally Posted by Normm View Post
But it doesn't matter. He's had issues with numerous girlfriends over the years, one who dumped him specifically because of the pot smoking, and he liked her a lot and took the breakup very hard. So Op, the weed has cost you at least one relationship possibly more including this one. Regardless of why you smoke it.



Brain tumors and nausea and possible harmful effects of marijuana not withstanding, the weed is costing you in terms of women saying "No thanks". That's the price you pay and as long as you're ok with what you're giving up in return, there's nothing more to be said.
That was the same woman I'm talking about in this thread...she actually came back a few days after that post. I have NEVER had a GF that smokes, some of which have been even more against it than my current GF, we always found compromise in the past.
Coup La-La is offline  
Old 14th March 2019, 7:38 PM   #155
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: A little off center
Posts: 144
Topic Check Time as this thread seems to have branched off in several directions.

This thread is correctly placed in the DATING section and is focused on the OPs situation with his GF as it pertains to his use of marijuana.

Those wishing to discuss addiction and recreational use, Addiction & Recovery would be the place for that.

Those wishing to discuss medical issues and using cannabis to treat symptoms of those conditions, Physical Fitness, Health & Weight Management is what you're looking for.

Discussing those topics here in any context other then how it relates to his relationship with his girlfriend will be considered off-topic.
Tristian is offline  
Old 15th March 2019, 8:08 AM   #156
Established Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 710
For better or worse, weed is a big part if your life right now.

Maybe you need a girl who's also into that.

I rarely drink, if ever. Not much point in me having a relationship with a girl that likes pubs.
fromheart is offline  
Old 15th March 2019, 8:17 AM   #157
Established Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 710
Just looking through the rest of this thread OP.

The 'you better not have had sex with another woman,' comment that she makes. This should be a huge red flag. If you told her that, it would be unacceptable. This works both ways.
fromheart is offline  
Old 15th March 2019, 2:41 PM   #158
Established Member
 
Coup La-La's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: DC
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromheart View Post
Just looking through the rest of this thread OP.

The 'you better not have had sex with another woman,' comment that she makes. This should be a huge red flag. If you told her that, it would be unacceptable. This works both ways.
Fair enough, I guess I've been ambivalent about that. on the one hand it's one of her ways of showing she cares, on the other hand it's not reasonable to take a break from someone and then come back demanding that they have stayed celibate the whole time
Coup La-La is offline  
Old 16th March 2019, 6:18 AM   #159
Established Member
 
TheFinalWord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: † Calvary †
Posts: 6,732
If MJ is a really important part of your life, then you will need to find someone that approves and/or partkes. No way should you marry someone that doesn't accept you as you are. People don't change, and the fact she's basically pressuring you to change for her just tells me this won't work in the long run. Recommend to find someone that uses. There's a massive MJ culture out there and it doesn't sound like you have any problems finding women.
__________________
If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants. - Newton
TheFinalWord is offline  
Old 16th March 2019, 6:20 AM   #160
Established Member
 
TheFinalWord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: † Calvary †
Posts: 6,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coup La-La View Post
Now, maybe if someone can suggest something to mask the smell, I would be more than interested
Take a paper towel tube. Shove dryer sheets in the end. Place a cap over the bowl part of the pipe so smoke doesn't come out of the bowl area. Blow the smoke into the paper towel tube. The dryer sheets will kill the weed smell.

Don't ask me how I know that lol
TheFinalWord is offline  
Old 17th March 2019, 1:07 AM   #161
Established Member
 
Coup La-La's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: DC
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by justwhoiam View Post
You didn't answer my questions. If you don't mind answering I'll ask again:


1. Does your "brain tumor" have a scientific name? If so, what is it?
2. I guess you have a neurologist where you live, in your state, correct? That neurologist following the progression of your tumor is the one who should prescribe any therapy or treatment, and you shouldn't take substances without him/her knowing, even better without the neurologist consent. Do you understand this? Yes or no?
3. It looks like you're aware that weed can have negative effects on your body and neurological system, but you said that the positive effects outnumber the negative ones. Do you understand that it's not a matter of numbers? ONE negative effect is enough to jeopardize any therapy.
1. From looking at the written report, it's described as an "extra-axial mass along the right cerebellopontine "
2. My neuroloist isn't the one who gave me my Rx, but he (the surgeon) has said weed is ok.
3. The negative effect for me is that my stamina is slightly reduced, I run at about 95% of when I'm not smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwhoiam View Post
And by that, I assume she means that she'd be against even if it got approved in your state.
Yes, as I said before: Even if the President, attorney General and Chief Justice of the Supreme Court had a smoke session on live TV, it wouldn't make any difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwhoiam View Post
They're illogical to you. To me, your insistence is illogical. And reading posts in this thread, it's illogical for other people too.
How is acknowledging results illogical? How is being able to list a whole host of positive effect illogical? That is the epitome of logic

This is part of the problem, emotion is more important than fact.
.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justwhoiam View Post
Catholic church doesn't have ministers, it has priests. If a priest smokes weed recreationally, that doesn't make the habit more appealing. We now know a priest can be a pedophile, that doesn't make the crime more acceptable or OK. Period.
My GF is Catholic, I'm agnostic but was baptized and raised Protestant. I know the difference between the 2, I brought that up because there is NOTHING about Christianity that is inherently against marijuana. There are multiple verses in the Bible that could be interpreted as promoting it actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwhoiam View Post
Since you're so well informed, do you know there's evidence that people smoking extensively are more exposed to cancer? That's because smoking aka the combustion of the plant is carcinogenic (that's true for tobacco too). Is that something you can acknowledge? Or are you going to be in denial about that too? There is a high level of tar and other chemicals in marijuana, smoking it is similar to smoking cigarettes. The lungs get a big dose of chemicals that increase the chances of lung problems and many types of cancer. Since you stated you've been smoking for 14 years, has it ever occurred to you that your habit might have contributed to the development of your tumor? Can you start considering smoking as your enemy rather than your friend?
I specifically asked my DR about that (both the 1st and 2nd opinion) that they have both definitively ruled that out.

In fact there is a lot of evidence to the contrary

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10863546

https://www.pnas.org/content/95/14/8268.short

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwhoiam View Post
I would and I did. My man was on antidepressants, it took him up to a year to tape them down and stop using them. He was tempted to resort to them another couple times after that, and my advice was: NO. His doctor's advice was: NO. So yes, many times we resort to drugs as a crutch.?
If it was helping him it wasn't a crutch, especially if you're talking about psychiatric drugs, which have results that are far mores subjective.

And as I've stressed, When I've gone long periods without smoking, my memory, cognitive function, basic personality structure is exactly the same. The only difference is that I can run slightly longer.
Coup La-La is offline  
Old 17th March 2019, 1:17 AM   #162
Established Member
 
Coup La-La's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: DC
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinalWord View Post
If MJ is a really important part of your life, then you will need to find someone that approves and/or partkes. No way should you marry someone that doesn't accept you as you are. People don't change, and the fact she's basically pressuring you to change for her just tells me this won't work in the long run. Recommend to find someone that uses. There's a massive MJ culture out there and it doesn't sound like you have any problems finding women.
this is the ONLY thing we argue about. If I went and found a woman that doesn't give me grief about weed, we would have contention about something else.

Like when one of My exes calls me, saying "dump your current GF and come back to me, I will never complain about weed, ever" ----> Yeah, but I want children, and you hate anyone under the age of 18

or another "I will smoke with you everyday, we can make a yearly trip to Amsterdam" ---> Yeah, but you're a materialistic B**** , 1/2 the time you only talk about bags, shoes and clothes.

I would rather deal with something like this than can be compromised, than try to get someone to change their whole personality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinalWord View Post
Take a paper towel tube. Shove dryer sheets in the end. Place a cap over the bowl part of the pipe so smoke doesn't come out of the bowl area. Blow the smoke into the paper towel tube. The dryer sheets will kill the weed smell.

Don't ask me how I know that lol
Yeah that's for keeping the house fresh, what about clothes and hair????
Coup La-La is offline  
Old 17th March 2019, 1:25 AM   #163
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 58,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coup La-La View Post

FYI: I don't just smoke to get high, I have medical reason also, not the least of which being that I have a brain tumor
Sorry to hear about your tumour.

You can get medical pot that won't make you high but you can still benefit health wise. Look into that. No smell and no high.

She isn't going to change, this is a deal breaker. She may not like the smell, or how one is when they're high. People have a right to not want to be around drugs... And if you want children (trust me she's thinking ahead about you being a father and if you can not do pot) may wanna re think the getting high thing.
whichwayisup is offline  
Old 17th March 2019, 3:19 AM   #164
Established Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Antipodes
Posts: 12,510
So what exactly does your girlfriend object to? Is it health issues or it having a boyfriend who's altered every day? Or both.
basil67 is offline  
Old 17th March 2019, 11:23 AM   #165
Established Member
 
Coup La-La's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: DC
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwayisup View Post
Sorry to hear about your tumour.

You can get medical pot that won't make you high but you can still benefit health wise. Look into that. No smell and no high.

She isn't going to change, this is a deal breaker. She may not like the smell, or how one is when they're high. People have a right to not want to be around drugs... And if you want children (trust me she's thinking ahead about you being a father and if you can not do pot) may wanna re think the getting high thing.
I don't get the defeatism among some of the people on this thread. I used to be 100% against marijuana also, I used to think that people who smoke weed belong in jail, but with time and education my views changed.

Yes, we've talked about having children. She's met plenty of my friends that were raised by people who smoke weed daily and are now functional adults.

and again with another one of the BS double standards we have. If a parent took a psychiatric drug, which can change your personality, nobody says "I don't want that around children" nobody says "I don't care how much your anti-depressants help you, the fact that you use them when you're around children means your an addict"

Quote:
Originally Posted by basil67 View Post
So what exactly does your girlfriend object to? Is it health issues or it having a boyfriend who's altered every day? Or both.
Actually she hasn't even been specific about that. She just says it's bad

Me: I'm smoking because i have a terrible stomach ache, I feel like I'm going to throw up
Her: Why do you have to smoke weed, try something else
Me: OK, what do you suggest
Her: [cricket sounds]

That's the most frustrating part, if she had an objection about something specific we could talk about that.
Coup La-La is offline  
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

 

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My 14-Year-Old Best Friend...and Marijuana ASDFJKL Friendship 6 13th January 2003 2:06 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:18 AM.

Please note: The suggestions and advice offered on this web site are opinions only and are not to be used in the place of professional psychological counseling or medical advice. If you or someone close to you is currently in crisis or in an emergency situation, contact your local law enforcement agency or emergency number.


Copyright © 1997-2018 LoveShack.org. All Rights Reserved.