My boss says I have to work a lot of OT but I can't.

I've almost always worked in factory/warehouse type jobs, but one of the things about it, is you have to work a lot of overtime, from 50-60 hour weeks quite often. It's not really legal, and goes against the labor standards where I live (Canada), but if you complain, then you are either let go, or thought of as the bad employee, so what can you do much really.

However, I feel that working that much overtime, really gets in the way of the career goals I am building towards, in my spare time. I want to get into filmmaking and have been doing that a lot in my spare time, as well as getting on sets to learn, but it's very difficult to do that, if your current job is requiring you to work a lot of overtime.

I also have a knee injury from jogging and it's got better before I got the job, and now has gotten worse, with all the OT. Plus I've been suffering from insomnia problems, because of all the stress the OT is causing, and it's keeping me from doing a better job in my filmmaking jobs.

The thing is, that since I am shooting a documentary for some people this week, I am not going to be able to do that plus the overtime. Plus I am already incredibly tired from the knee injury but also the insomnia I've been going through. Last week before the weekend, the supervisor announced to everyone that they were going to work OT this week, and then left, since he announced it before he went home. He was waiting an answer, but me and the other workers all said yes as a group since we felt we didn't have a choice.

I am going to have to go in this week, probably best tomorrow, and just tell them that even though we all said yes as a group when we were told we had to work the OT, there is just no way I can do all of it. I can give them 44 hours from now all on but that's it. But how do I bring this up, since the supervisor is just going to say I agreed to it?

• Author

Well I feel that the employer lied to me when hiring me though, cause when he hired me he said it was 40 hours a week, but then after I was hired, he changed it to 60. So I feel that he changed the requirements on me, than what I agreed to, when taking on the job.

• Author

True, but this week my other job, being hired for the documentary is going to conflict with it ,and maybe next week as well. So what do I do for this week then and cut off about 60 percent of the OT, which I would have to do I think?

a little visit to your friendly Doctor, sick note, if you have a dodgy knee you need rest and recuperation,:)

you have quite a passion for this film making (having read your other post)

no harm give that your full shot perhaps for a week - see what comes out of it,

• Like 1
  • Author

Okay thanks, but I'm going to have to tell them tomorrow and I cannot get a doctor's note that soon though. So then what?

lie to your boss, tell him/her that you have a family member funeral to go to or something like that....everyone does it.

about the OT and your knee, go see a doctor (you have free/universal health care in Canada) and tell him/her that your OT needs to be limited, get a doctors note and then give it to your boss

• Like 1
  • Author

Okay thanks, but I can't lie to him about funerals all the time. Is there a permanent lie I can like about tomorrow, and just have it work for the rest of the employment?

Okay thanks, but I can't lie to him about funerals all the time. Is there a permanent lie I can like about tomorrow, and just have it work for the rest of the employment?

tell him you're not feeling well and need a few days off or reduced hours....legally he has to oblige you, like I said a doctors note will help your cause immensely

the way I see it to give yourself a proper chance at shooting the documentary, you need nothing else on your mind other than the documentary for the next two weeks,

Id be single minded and selfish in my pursuit of that,

Id ring in sick tomorrow and go to the Doctor and get a cert for two weeks, if you have a medical cert, the employer cannot touch you.

put your heart and soul into the making of this documentary.

lol other posters will probably slate this post, but if it was me Id have no hesitation whatsoever in doing this.

• Like 1
  • Author

Well I don't mind going in I just don't want to do the 60 hours a week he has been having us do. Couldn't I still go in but tell him I'm just doing 44 hours from now on if that is what works for me? When I agreed to do the documentary weeks ago, we set times to do it after my shifts, but then the employer changed the shifts so they are almost double as long now. So couldn't I go back to the original shift times?

I just don't think the doctors note is a good excuse cause it will take about a few days at least to get an appointment where as the documentary shoot starts on wednesday and I really could use an excuse by then.

Edited by ironpony

I hate to say it, but if you are planning to work a “part-time job” on the side, you will need to find a full-time job that allows you to do that - ie. does not require overtime.

Perhaps, it’s time to polish off the old resume...

Couldn't I still go in but tell him I'm just doing 44 hours from now on if that is what works for me?

how much do you like your job ironpony?

• Author
I hate to say it, but if you are planning to work a “part-time job” on the side, you will need to find a full-time job that allows you to do that - ie. does not require overtime.

Perhaps, it’s time to polish off the old resume...

But the thing is is that I feel like the full time job lied to me in the interview process, cause I told them about the part time work, and they said they would only have me work 40 hours a week and that that was fine. Then they change their minds after hiring and move it up to 60. So I did take the job cause they said they would allow for that, but then they changed their mind. So what do you do then, when they hired you under different expectations and then changed their mind after?

So what do you do then, when they hired you under different expectations and then changed their mind after?

you get another job ironpony

• Author

Okay thanks, but the last three jobs were like this where they had a problem with me trying to have filmmaking projects in the evenings, cause they wanted me to work 50-60 hours a week, after I took the job, when they said 40 before I was hired.

I talked to a friend about it and he said that every job is going to be like this and want you to work insane amounts of overtime, unless you stand up to them and just tell them no, 40 hours and that's it. He said I should do that and keep this job, cause it pays well, cause even if I look for another job, they just try to force me to do the same thing, unless I say no.

So therefore, I might as well say no on this one, cause it least it pays better than most. What do you think, does he have a point?

I talked to a friend about it and he said that every job is going to be like this and want you to work insane amounts of overtime, unless you stand up to them and just tell them no, 40 hours and that's it.

You are welcome to try, but be prepared for the worst case scenario. Depending on the workplace, they are likely to tell you that they will find someone else to do the job.

• Like 1
  • Author

Okay thanks, that's what happened last time I tried in a previous job. I told them that they said originally it was 40 hours a week and then change their mind to 60, so I told them that I felt I was mislead, but they didn't like me telling them that and said they could find someone else to do it.

But my friend says I need to be prepared to call their bluff and take it to the labor board, cause it's illegal to fire someone where I live, just because the person will not work over 44 hours a week. Do you think I should take his advice?

Edited by ironpony

Are you sure you are not misinterpreting the laws ?

In the US you can work an employee as many hours as you need, 40 hours is the mark that they must be paid OVERTIME for hours past 40 and there is no limit to the number of hours in a work week, however as an employer 40 hours becomes the norm to shoot for as paying overtime in quantity isn't good for the company or the employee.

How many hours per day or per week can an employee work?

The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) does not limit the number of hours per day or per week that employees aged 16 years and older can be required to work.

I would love to be working that kind of OT! Is it not paying you at a rate of time and a half?

Dude, smarten up and work as much OT as you can. That is great money that you can be putting away.

If you are looking for a Monday to Friday 9 to 5 job then I think you need to get a job elsewhere.

As someone above stated "suck it up." There is a reason us Canadians have been referred to as lazy. So many people want high pay to do nothing.

Your post is very disappointing.

It is not your employer's fault that you want to go do another job to "progress your career"

They are there to pay you money to get the job done and if you won't do it someone else will.

You are 33 not 18, you need to get your life in order. No-one apart from you, cares a damn about your career.

Letting people down last minute at the job you agreed to do is immature.

Don't like the overtime and your actual job that pays you money every week is interfering with your desire to go make a film, go find another job. I am sure someone else will be glad of the work and extra money.

You are supposed to be committed to this job, not moonlighting at another when you already agreed to do the overtime

• Like 1

Don't take legal advice from anybody who is not a lawyer. If your friend is correct that in Canada you can't be fired simply because you won't work more then 44 hours per week, consult a lawyer & then avail yourself of your legal rights but make sure you only take advice from a lawyer not some random guy. People think they know the law all the time; most don't.

Remember something about work. Your company hired you & paid you to fulfil their needs. They don't care about your needs.

If the issue is you can't work OT this week because you have this documentary, fine. Tell your boss this week isn't good but that OT is OK other weeks. Maybe your boss will work with you. Another option may be you start work earlier so you can get out on time. Yes you will get less sleep but you are the one who chose to take the side gig.

Perhaps you need a job with more flexibility. But don't think for one second your boss is gonna care about your problems.

Finally, when consulting lawyers ask about making a claim against your warehouse job because it aggravated your pre-existing knee injury.

I would love to be working that kind of OT!

I would not - each to his own I suppose:p

think big - when have a chance at becoming a film director why settle for mediocrity