LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Who Followed Their Career Passions?

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree150Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th July 2014, 12:03 AM   #1
Established Member

Who Followed Their Career Passions?

How many of you did a bachelors degree you were 100%, the most enthused with out of all the degrees on offer, EVEN THOUGH there were not prospects or very LOW prospects of work?

Alternatively, how many of you did a degree you were less interested in (but still excited about), because it had good employment prospects, even though it wasn't your first choice of career?

Go after your academic passions with low prospects employment wise?

Or do your second choice of "degree you are mot interested in" and get a good shot at stable employment at a decent wage?

Please discuss.
ajheart likes this.
Old 26th July 2014, 12:55 AM   #2
Established Member

When I was studying real estate, my dad suggested majoring in business instead of real estate as it would open up opportunities should I change my mind. I did just that since real estate only requires a license. I ended up changing my mind and decided to do marketing. I always recommend choosing a major that will help prospects as you still need food on the table at the end of the day.
Leigh 87 likes this.
Old 26th July 2014, 2:23 AM   #3
Established Member

I always followed my passion and I never even looked at employment and salary prospects. However, I was sure of what I wanted to do since I was a teen and never wavered. I think I only changed a single subject during all my years of studying.

In your situation though since you are not 100% sure what career you want, I would take into consideration employment prospects, I just wouldn't research them in so much depth. Vague idea will do.
Old 26th July 2014, 3:19 AM   #4
Established Member

I have other things in mind I would still ENJOY as a career.

My university makes it so our entrance scores are ALWAYS valid, plus the first more safe degree I would likely do well in and retain those marks.

I can always have a career change later in life once I actually have an income.

The safer degree allows you to work part time. I could always revert to part time work if I were to study full time for a career change some day....

I personally believe I am too old to get hard core, heavy involved in science to anything close to a PHD level which is what you need to be successful in niche applied science degrees like the one that I find ground breaking and wish to study....

It was definitely in me to do, but I failed to do it by a certain age. Pretty much.
Old 26th July 2014, 3:49 AM   #5

I majored in English Literature.

Zero jobs. But that is what I loved.

I ended up with a good career anyway.

Leigh, you are going to have to take a break from talking about this. You must be driving yourself nuts.
Old 26th July 2014, 5:57 AM   #6
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glinda.Good View Post
I majored in English Literature.

Zero jobs. But that is what I loved.

I ended up with a good career anyway.

Leigh, you are going to have to take a break from talking about this. You must be driving yourself nuts.

Yes. Mum has told me to start getting out of the house more and start showering

I've probably done a bit too much research...

It all come backs to the same thing: go after utterly interesting, groudbreaking degree with crap prospects yet good pay.

My parents thinks I would be better at podiatry. As does my tutor.

People who know me best can see me more as a podiatrist than a technician of nuclear medicine.

I have done some pretty intensive research
Old 26th July 2014, 7:11 AM   #7
Established Member

When I was 6 I announced what I wanted to be when I grew. I have been in that field for almost 23 years. You need a graduate degree to do what I go & the year I graduated the job prospects were the worst they had ever been in history. They are actually worse than that now. My undergrad degree was in something I cared about but mostly I picked it because it was something that came easy to me so I didn't have to work very hard to get a GPA that allowed me to get into grad school.
Leigh 87 likes this.
Old 26th July 2014, 7:23 AM   #8
Established Member

I basically wanted to be adored. Partially am! Enjoyed my studies to the full, knew the kind of people i wanted to work with. But worked very hard and put myself out there many times for little or no reward. Stuck at it and i now think myself quite lucky.
Old 26th July 2014, 7:33 AM   #9
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0nnivain View Post
When I was 6 I announced what I wanted to be when I grew. I have been in that field for almost 23 years. You need a graduate degree to do what I go & the year I graduated the job prospects were the worst they had ever been in history. They are actually worse than that now. My undergrad degree was in something I cared about but mostly I picked it because it was something that came easy to me so I didn't have to work very hard to get a GPA that allowed me to get into grad school.

I am not trying to get into grad school. Although I have a lot of respect for you for doing so, and then getting work in a field where there were no prospects.

If I wanted to get into grad school I know I likely could. I believe I could if I put the work in and it was a degree in which I was interested, in doing the study.... However, I want to get a degree that pays the bills without having to do more than the 3 year bachelor. If at all possible.

Podiatry is the most likely medical science related degree that can get me there.

In Australia it is still possible to get a bachelors degree and then earn enough income to pay bills and save... for a mortgage, for occasional travel and so on. I still aim to get D's or High D's though in the bachelor....

All I knew when I was young... was that I wanted to aim high etc. But yeah at 28 I would best put my efforts into paying the bills, saving money, and doing it via way of a degree that I do enjoy. Not necessarily the "omg this is fantastic and totally earth shattering" degree.
Old 26th July 2014, 7:35 AM   #10
Established Member

At the age of 10 I knew what I wanted to be. I went to school with that idea in mind. Concurrently my father's advice was, "if you don't go to grad school major in something that will make money, if you are going to grad school, major in something you love". I planned to go to grad school so majored in English, linguistics and speech.

I finally decided that I was not going to go after graduation and sort of fell into my field. In between I had worked other jobs, ran my own business, etc. that really helped me see what I wanted. Ultimately I ended up in a field that is similar to the one I originally wanted to go into and love it. I greatly enjoy what I do and it has become my passion.

I would always love to go back to running my own business some day as well. That was very enjoyable but was more in the service industry than what I do now.
Old 26th July 2014, 8:03 AM   #11
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haydn View Post
I basically wanted to be adored. Partially am! Enjoyed my studies to the full, knew the kind of people i wanted to work with. But worked very hard and put myself out there many times for little or no reward. Stuck at it and i now think myself quite lucky.

Well you live in Holland park. Nice area, must not be doing too poorly.

I get adoration from my partner and other men. I mean, don't all us ladies have another man we know of who is in love with us (yet who we dutifully do not talk to much or see in person?)

I am doing this degree for ME. I want to live an intelligent and worthwhile life.

Going into podiatry, my second choice of degree which I would " do if I won lotto", I can see myself working with diabetics and the ailing/elderly and obese people that have food problems... of all degrees of severity. The patient care aspect I would love.

I just found nuclear medicine a more interesting field but still love the idea of the safer degree (podiatry). It is still something I would like.

I mean, don't we all read about the topics of interest that most enthral us, in our SPARE TIME? Not for our every day jobs?
Old 26th July 2014, 8:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haydn View Post
I basically wanted to be adored.
So are you a movie star?
Old 26th July 2014, 8:50 AM   #13
Established Member

Journal Entries: 39
I dropped out of engineering school in my junior year to become a machinist and grew that into my own business and, as with everything in life, it's up and down. I'd probably enjoy a higher standard of living and social status as an engineer but likely would have started on the path of working for others so would have ended up a career employee somewhere, which doesn't fit well with my basic personality. Over the decades, the education itself, even if not a degree, has been a very helpful tool in the toolbox for doing stuff, and I credit a good college-prep high school as much for that as college itself.

As far as a life pursuit, my advice to younger people had been to expose themselves to as much of the diversity of life as they can and choose their path as a balance between passion and practicality which fits their intrinsic personality.
Old 26th July 2014, 8:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh 87 View Post
The patient care aspect I would love.
What if the patient was a toddler? They get diabetes and foot problems too you know.
Old 26th July 2014, 9:01 AM   #15
Established Member

My Stanley Kolwalski was much talked about in the East Acton amateur dramatics society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glinda.Good View Post
So are you a movie star?