LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Update on new job

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Old 30th March 2010, 3:01 PM   #91

Have you seen this, LB? Looks like your prospects are great!

"Job prospects. Job opportunities should be favorable because job openings are expected to exceed the number of graduates from counseling programs, particularly in rural areas. Substance abuse counselors should enjoy particularly good job prospects."

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos067.htm#outlook
Star Gazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 3:37 PM   #92
Established Member

Journal Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriebell82 View Post
As far as improving it, that's a tough thing to do. Clients don't always complete treatment and never come back. It's hard to see a client relapse after they have been clean for a long time. So I guess I could say that an improvement in the field would be for more people to understand that addiction is a lifelong struggle and you can't "save" addicts, they have to save themselves.
Who are those people? the clients? Other counsellors? The public at large?

How could you in practical terms bring about that improvement? And which counseling agencies do you know adopt this approach as a practice? Are they hiring ?

Last edited by Kamille; 30th March 2010 at 3:39 PM..
Kamille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 11:42 PM   #93
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Gazer View Post
Okay, you're not understanding me.

Just because you had a certain job, doesn't mean you were qualified for it, or that you're now overqualified for a job that had less responsibilities than that job. Again, with all due respect, LB... you were fired from the job where you counseled clients and had your own caseload.

So that begs the question, are you sure that you're qualified to be a stand-alone counselor...right now? Or do you think perhaps you'd benefit from some basic training in that area before you're qualified to do that?

Try not to let your ego get in the way here. This is just as much a rhetorical question designed for some introspection as it is my own curiosity.
I know EXACTLY what you are saying...I fully understand.
Lauriebell82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 12:58 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriebell82 View Post
I know EXACTLY what you are saying...I fully understand.
Good. Perhaps you can use that to tailor your job search.
Star Gazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 1:06 PM   #95
Established Member

No, what I was trying to say was that I understood what you were trying to say. I didn't want to start an argument so I didn't put my opinion in there...
Old 31st March 2010, 1:18 PM   #96
Established Member

Oh YAY, they are checking all my references!!! I hope they are serious about me and it's not just a formality. I wouldn't think someone would go to that much trouble if they didn't want to hire them..right?

I need to get out of this job, I worked a total of 3 hours in the past two weeks. It's horrible!!!
Old 31st March 2010, 3:09 PM   #97

You should give it a try as you said before It will look bad so why not paying attention to your job, did you find another job?
Old 31st March 2010, 3:19 PM   #98
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieJones View Post
You should give it a try as you said before It will look bad so why not paying attention to your job, did you find another job?
I'm barely making any money at my current job which is why I'm looking for a new one..I had an interview last week for a position, granted it has bad hours and lower pay, but at least I can get out of my current job.

Currently, the company I interviewed with is checking my references and already gave me a drug test. So hopefully they will hire me since they are going to the trouble of checking my references!
Old 31st March 2010, 3:57 PM   #99
Established Member

Journal Entries: 1
It's looking good LB! Checking the references is definitely a sign of interest. But, my dad has hired many people as a HR rep, and he would sometimes check references to determine which of the strongest candidates to give the job to (when they were pretty equal on paper and in the interview). So, for now, sit tight.

Fingers crossed!
Kamille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 4:06 PM   #100

My fingers are crossed for you, Lb!
threebyfate is offline   Reply With Quote