LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Take out your piercings, damn it!

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Old 13th November 2007, 4:28 PM   #16
Established Member

Journal Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenMoon View Post
Well, there are a lot of 80-year olds that are still taken aback by seeing a black person in anything other than a subservient occupation.

Professionalism is one thing, but it seems like we're SOOOOOO paranoid about the smallest offenses that the line of "acceptable" takes forever to inch forward. And it enforces the idea that there's something off about people who choose to look ever the slightest bit different.

There are days I look very conservative, and days I look punk, and no matter how I'm dressed, as long as I act maturely and address people respectfully, I've never gotten so much as a dirty look.
Being racist is not being conservative... Any fashion statement can be easily changed or hidden unless people have made the unwise decision of facial tattoos. Facial tattoos will change in shape over time, especially if they lose or gain substantial weight. Kind of dumb, IMO.

This is no different than an avante-garde hair salon requiring its receptionists to have a more dramatic look, including and especially having to do with their hair.

Btw, in the past, I hired an assistant manager who had tattoos covering his entire back and arms. He was discreet and always kept them covered up in the office. When the day was over, he would thow on his leathers, jump on his harley, put on his spiked helmet and ride home.
Trialbyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 4:32 PM   #17
Established Member

Quote:
If she dressed, spoke, and acted professionally, what's the difference?
Company Look.. that is what the difference is..
If the interface between my customers and the my company is a person then I want that person to convey an image of professionalism.. A woman with a piercing in her tongue doesn't convey the image I would want my customers to perceive..

Our sales reps must wear business attire ( suit.. dress suit etc etc.. ) because I want them to convey that the customers can spend their money with my company and not hesitate at all...

If all my sales reps wore jeans and were tated all up with piercings then how in the heck I'm I supposed to get the CEO of Hanes Clothing Brands to spend their money in my shop when they aren't dressed professionally.. ??

Like I said.. we have people who have piercings and tats who work here.. but not in a position that shows the image of the company to our customers other than thru their work...
Old 13th November 2007, 4:34 PM   #18
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trialbyfire View Post
Btw, in the past, I hired an assistant manager who had tattoos covering his entire back and arms. He was discreet and always kept them covered up in the office. When the day was over, he would thow on his leathers, jump on his harley, put on his spiked helmet and ride home.
Well then, why can't the tongue piercing girl discreetly not stick her tongue out and wag it around all the time? If she is discreet, most people would never even notice it.

"He said he LIKED me, but he wasn't IN LIKE with me!" -King of the Hill
KittenMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 4:35 PM   #19
Established Member

Quote:
No offense meant to you at all, but this way of thinking is just stupid. It's discrimination on a lesser scale.
I don't take offense. I understand where you are coming from. If someone gets a glimpse of my tattoos, and my nose piercing when I had one - they often judge me and make plenty of false assumptions about me. I wish that sort of thinking didn't exist, frankly. A tattoo is, after all just a picture on your skin and a piercing is just a piece of metal through the skin. I can't help but to wonder if an alien culture were to observe human behavior if they would think it strange that humans ascribe various notions to stuff like that in such a way as to make a judgments about others.

Unfortunately though, society for the most part does not have the ability to look past the outer layers yet. Perhaps one day they will. I wouldn't count on it happening anytime soon though.
Old 13th November 2007, 4:35 PM   #20
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art_Critic
Like I said.. we have people who have piercings and tats who work here.. but not in a position that shows the image of the company to our customers other than thru their work...
You're more lenient than I ever was, since employees can and will wander by the reception desk. Anyone is a representative of the company and the image you're trying to portray to the client or prospective client.
Old 13th November 2007, 4:36 PM   #21
Established Member

Quote:
Being racist is not being conservative...
But both can discriminate against someone for trite reasons.
Old 13th November 2007, 4:36 PM   #22
Established Member

Quote:
No offense meant to you at all, but this way of thinking is just stupid. It's discrimination on a lesser scale.
It isn't really a way of thinking.. it is the way the world really truly does work.. either conform or rebel.

I'm not saying that rebellion is bad.. it is just that conformation has it's perks..

The world will not change if you don't want to work somewhere because they have certain methods of doing business...
Art_Critic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 4:37 PM   #23
Established Member

Quote:
Well then, why can't the tongue piercing girl discreetly not stick her tongue out and wag it around all the time? If she is discreet, most people would never even notice it.
Good question. You might want to ask blind_otter the question of how the tongue piercing girl managed to allow the interviewer a glimpse of her tongue piercing. If the interviewer can see it, so can clients, therefore, why hire someone so indiscreet when there are plenty of candidates who know better?
Old 13th November 2007, 4:38 PM   #24
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucreziaBorgia View Post

Unfortunately though, society for the most part does not have the ability to look past the outer layers yet. Perhaps one day they will. I wouldn't count on it happening anytime soon though.
Sadly.

This makes me want to actively not hire women who wear stupid hokey sweaters, men who wear ugly ties, and both sexes who wear too much scent. Because I think all these things are unprofessional.

But that would be silly, right?
Old 13th November 2007, 4:39 PM   #25
Established Member

Quote:
But both can discriminate against someone for trite reasons.
It's illegal to racially discriminate in that the discriminated can pursue legal means to compensate. It's not illegal to demand professionalism from your employees or prospectives.
Old 13th November 2007, 4:39 PM   #26
Established Member

Quote:
...why hire someone so indiscreet when there are plenty of candidates who know better?
Because they'd be good at the position?
Old 13th November 2007, 4:40 PM   #27
Established Member

Quote:
It's illegal to racially discriminate in that the discriminated can pursue legal means to compensate. It's not illegal to demand professionalism from your employees or prospectives.
"Professionalism" is a subjective, sliding scale. And at least in this case, I think it was FAR too harsh.
Old 13th November 2007, 4:41 PM   #28
Established Member

Quote:
Because they'd be good at the position?
Being a good receptionist doesn't require a brain surgeon's talents... There are plenty of discreet people who can do the job.
Old 13th November 2007, 4:42 PM   #29
Established Member

Quote:
Being a good receptionist doesn't require a brain surgeon's talents...
God, I want to argue this- IMO, a good receptionist is worth twice that of a middle of the road CEO!
Old 13th November 2007, 4:43 PM   #30
Established Member

Quote:
"Professionalism" is a subjective, sliding scale. And at least in this case, I think it was FAR too harsh.
It's not your call. It's the call of the company who was hiring. You can take any stance that everyone should have every personal freedom and ensure that's what you do, on your next job interview. But...it won't help anyone else from getting a job in a conservative business or firm. Discretion and professionalism are associated to realistically selling yourself as an asset to a conservative firm.