LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being

Being Vegan

Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being Start off with a great foundation! The place to ponder the journey towards improving yourself!

Like Tree90Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th September 2017, 10:33 PM   #61
Established Member

Journal Entries: 2
hey amay....i used to be vegetarian turned veg after visiting an abbatoir as a school excursion of agriculture....the cows know whats going on and they are scared ....*&^%$less....traumatised me let alone the poor cows .....

i go on and off meat...normally if i watch one of those peta videos ,yep turns me right off meat for a while but i am b12 deficient and i struggle with energy....anyhoo.....i have some veg recipies ill post some for you i have some good veggie books

i used to use products like tenderbits.....soya links..... tvp(textured veg protein) and vitaburger....even my meat and fish loving dad loved my vitaburgers and beef stroganoff made with veg protein(tenderbits) and thickened soya milk and mushies..... sanitarium make these vegetarian products and also have a recipe book(but its an old book).....my mum used to make this meat loaf from nuts and it was so meaty....and yummmy......served it with a tomato sauce.....to die for....i will try and get that one for you too or one close to it...have you tried quorn(like a mince)? i havent tried quorn but i have heard good things....deb
todreaminblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2017, 5:15 AM   #62
Established Member

We are omnivores but at one point went vegetarian to save a bit of money, and from there found ourselves becoming unintentionally vegetarian or even sometimes vegan. As I find myself more worried about things like climate change and animal welfare, I've decided I don't want to eat anything that isn't from a farm I trust. My husband is off of whole dairy because despite being pretty thin his cholesterol is awful. So here we are, sometimes unintentional vegans again! I can't say I mind because fruit and vegetables are so delicious.

- Cashew milk is my favorite, texture-wise. Unsweetened vanilla cashew milk is great for baking!
- Rather than try to replicate meat and dairy, just lean into how good fresh produce is. Get as many heirloom and local varieties as you can of everything.
- Walnut oil is a great swap for coconut oil and has a fraction of the saturated fat.
- My husband loved this recipe. The only changes I made was to add some more adobo sauce and a couple spoonful of a chicken tikka masala sauce lingering in the fridge. Some of her recipes are hit or miss, though.
lana-banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2017, 6:23 AM   #63
Established Member

I still eat rice and bean (rice n peas) I put everything into it takes 30 mins micro-steamer.. Enough protein in my meals. Even if you eat other things but just have to watch it. Orgainc (cash cow) really sad that cost so much. I can't always buy that like I use too. Just over price of the same stuff. I grow avocado and mango here after Irma got none now.. But those are beyond Organic or Farm Fresh those are real deal. You would never get that in the market. I make smoothies with mango with spinach , green tea and rooi bos tea. Those two teas has a lot for us all. If you eat chicken/fish or dabble into meats you are not vegan or vegg at all. If you switch back it's a heavy detox on your body.. Fish you don't have to detox.. Really shouldn't cross over back but a lot of Vegans do eat fish. I have cereal that has 30 G of protein.
Age doesn't matter, but Love does matter! Which love it's the magical one "I love you" also I am in love with you" More powerful than anyone age! If you really love that person you are so interested in you would move heavens and mountains to reach them!'

Last edited by coolheadal; 1st October 2017 at 6:29 AM..
coolheadal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2017, 10:25 PM   #64
Established Member

Tonight I made mashed potatoes with gravy that were so good! I was wondering how I was going to do thanksgiving dinner this year and these are perfect!

I also picked up vegan marshmallows (no gelatin) and I'm going to use them in our traditional sweet potato casserole. I'll be giving that a trial run hopefully sometime this week.

But I got so tired being vegan. I had no idea how many nutrients we humans get from animal products and it really caused me to feel so fatigued. I've since done my research and am now taking the proper supplements and it's made a huge difference. The hardest part is finding vegan sources especially to replace fish oil and avoiding gelatin in all of the supplements.

I'm currently taking about ten a day but I feel terrific!
Old 6th November 2017, 10:32 PM   #65
Established Member

How'd you make the mashed potatoes, no milk?
Old 6th November 2017, 10:50 PM   #66
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay1983 View Post
How'd you make the mashed potatoes, no milk?
Yea no milk

They wouldn't be vegan if they used milk.

Here's the recipe, I sautéed the garlic because something is wrong with my oven right now that it won't heat up past like around 200 degrees no matter how long I preheat it for so I wasn't able to roast it.

https://minimalistbaker.com/the-best...shed-potatoes/
amaysngrace is offline   Reply With Quote