LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Physical Fitness, Health & Weight Management

how to like my middle aged body

Physical Fitness, Health & Weight Management Staying fit and physically healthy is essential! Remember, we aren't subsitutes for your physician! As always, talk to your doctor before following any suggestions or advice!

Like Tree150Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th July 2017, 9:00 AM   #46
Established Member

I gave her as an example for what I refer as 'muscular' - I know that it is very difficult and it takes a lot of dedication and supplements to get the look of a true female body builder.

But back to Aniston - her arms and legs are not skinny at all (although she probably has low body fat) - that's the muscular look at her that I'm talking about. Same with her abdomen. Another too muscular celebrity: Bar Refaeli (not fat obviously but a lot of muscle on her arms and legs). I'm not saying they looks bad, I just personally want to have a different look - thinner limbs and waist etc.

The look that you refer to (toned but 'smooth' with a bit more of body fat) - e.g. J. Lawrence - is also not what I'm going for... I like thinner, but again not much muscle around the limbs and waist - more like e.g. Nicole Kidman or Megan Fox - not sure these are the best examples but I think you get the idea)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Its incredibly difficult for the average woman to gain a truly 'muscular' look. It can be done and there are examples out there, but it takes athletic dedication on a level far above most of us.

I know from talking with the girls that this is a big thing for them, they don't want to grow 'big'. I don't know where this idea comes from tbh - perhaps they see the big guys in the gym and assume that this is what they will become if they lift any real weight?

Its simply not true.

She not muscular and never had been - but at different times she's had lower levels of body fat and this 'bring out' the musculature that she has. I think JA is hot, personally, but if that lean look doesn't work for you its easy to combat, keep working out in the gym, keep working out hard, but eat a little more and maintain a slightly higher body fat level - this will smooth out the look of the muscles and give you a strong body which is good for any number of reasons outside of how it looks.
No_Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2017, 9:00 AM   #47
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Go View Post
TFY, I agree with you more muscle - faster metabolism.. But how about tips for women that want to stay lean while aging and avoid the 'muscular' look? I'm not talking fitness models. Say Jennifer Aniston is WAY to muscular to my liking...
Huge misconception....

It just doesn't happen the way most women think it will...You can't really get a "muscular look" without really good genes.....Most women lack the necessary levels of testosterone to put on measurable muscle mass..The one's you see that have excessive muscle mass are either genetic freaks or are juicing.(using AAS)..

Due to the natural levels of bodyfat most women carry, most of what you experience in "gains" won't even really be seen...You will see a noticeable difference in how your body "looks" and how the weight you have is distributed..

I am no fan of very lean, especially in women...and especially as they age...I think its just unhealthy, IMO...My mother has 4 sisters..they all range in age from 70-90...The one with most of the health problems is the second youngest, who has led a vegan lifestyle and has always been super thin...She looks way older than almost all of them, and is noticeably hunched over...

You absolutely need a strong frame as you age....Being lean is probably worse than being a tad heavy...

TFY
Old 10th July 2017, 9:03 AM   #48
Established Member

I see what you're saying, but again I was not talking about body buider figure... I just prefer thinner tights and upper arms, and I feel like after weight training, even if very lean, these parts get more prominent/defined.

Of course it is personal which look you prefer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefooloftheyear View Post
Huge misconception....

It just doesn't happen the way most women think it will...You can't really get a "muscular look" without really good genes.....Most women lack the necessary levels of testosterone to put on measurable muscle mass..The one's you see that have excessive muscle mass are either genetic freaks or are juicing.(using AAS)..

Due to the natural levels of bodyfat most women carry, most of what you experience in "gains" won't even really be seen...You will see a noticeable difference in how your body "looks" and how the weight you have is distributed..

I am no fan of very lean, especially in women...and especially as they age...I think its just unhealthy, IMO...My mother has 4 sisters..they all range in age from 70-90...The one with most of the health problems is the second youngest, who has led a vegan lifestyle and has always been super thin...She looks way older than almost all of them, and is noticeably hunched over...

You absolutely need a strong frame as you age....Being lean is probably worse than being a tad heavy...

TFY
Old 10th July 2017, 9:04 AM   #49
Established Member

This is an example of a muscular woman...Probably very good genes...Light years from J.A.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG13Yltdq0Q

TFY

Last edited by thefooloftheyear; 10th July 2017 at 9:06 AM..
thefooloftheyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2017, 9:08 AM   #50
Established Member

Yes, I can see that with this one it is genes + probably years of working out... But the overall shape of her butt and tights, albeit much smaller in most women that weight train (including J.A. and B.R.), is what I would prefer to avoid... Just it looks chunky to me.

Quote:
This is an example of a muscular woman...Probably very good genes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG13Yltdq0Q

TFY
Old 10th July 2017, 9:17 AM   #51
Established Member

Quote:
Yes, I can see that with this one it is genes + probably years of working out... But the overall shape of her butt and tights, albeit much smaller in most women that weight train (including J.A. and B.R.), is what I would prefer to avoid... Just it looks chunky to me.
Not sure what you are after...But I dunno...That whole look with the protruding hip bones, flat ass and tits that look like a sweat sock witha couple of quarters in it?....eh....Not for me...

TFY
Old 10th July 2017, 9:27 AM   #52
Established Member

Ok - last attempt - compare the bodies of Gigi and Bella Hadid - Bella's legs are ok, Gigi's - too muscular for me. So Bella's body is what I'm going for (if I could haha)

Quote:
Not sure what you are after...But I dunno...That whole look with the protruding hip bones, flat ass and tits that look like a sweat sock witha couple of quarters in it?....eh....Not for me...

TFY
Old 10th July 2017, 9:51 AM   #53
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CautiouslyOptimistic View Post
Lightbulb!

Is there any one particular piece of equipment that you think is a must-have with regard to weight training, and can you do it at home? I belong to a small gym and go to a 45 minute class 3-4 times a week (boot camp, Tabata, body pump type stuff) and don't really want to join another gym on top of that (or in place of it). But I'd like to start doing a lot more weight training.
Get a simple articulating bench and dumbells ranging from 2.5 lb to 40 lb....There are also dumbells that are "self contained" that allow you to change weight by removing pins...They are kinda awkward, but they take up a lot less room than a pile of dumbells..

One thing that I notice most about middle aged women that weight train vs those that don't is that the women who use resistance training generally don't develop those flabby upper arms and their behinds look much firmer/rounder..

TFY
Old 10th July 2017, 9:56 AM   #54
Established Member

No Go: I understand you are from Europe and that's perhaps why Jennifer Aniston is too "muscular" to your liking. My observation is that celebrities in the US tend to look less feminine compared to their European or even Latin American counterparts. I remember watching the movie Disclosure (starring Michael Douglas and Demi Moore) many years ago as a teenager. In the movie, Demi was supposed to have a hot body; but I remember getting a little turned off by her muscles (I got the same first impression with Jennifer Aniston). As time goes by, I've become more adapted to this American norm of what a hot body is supposed to look like...
No_Go likes this.
JuneL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2017, 10:08 AM   #55
Established Member

OP: I'd start by making small steps: try to walk 30-45 mins a day; if you can incorporate some intervals of brisk walking, that would be even better. Cut down on bad foods like bad sugar and carbohydrates and bad fat.

I also find it amusing that some people would spend hours in the gym and yet would be lazy just walking a few of blocks.

Consistency is the key here.
d0nnivain and No_Go like this.
JuneL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2017, 10:17 AM   #56
Established Member

As a middle aged man...oh hell, who am I kidding I'm almost 57..nearly senior aged man...

IMO, The key to being happy with your body, is being happy with what you are doing to maintain it. Consistency is key. AND, to stop comparing yourself to people younger than yourself, people in better shape who are able to work out/diet better, or, to the way you used to look.

It's harder for me to keep the weight off now, than even 10 years ago. I need to be more careful about what I eat, and more specifically, the quantities of what I eat. Even if I maintain my gym schedule - which can be hard- I simply can't eat the same as I did 10 years ago. Just. Can't.

The biggest aid in maintaining for me, was giving up alcohol. Believe me, it makes a huge difference. Allows you to eat more, and not put "empty" calories in that really do more harm than good.

When I look at the general population of men around my age, I'm quite happy with myself. If I look at the population at the gym, not quite so much. Though, there aren't many people my age at the gym, which goes a a long way in explaining why the general population is considered over weight these days.

If you are watching what you eat, exercising, and doing what you can. Be happy, even if your body isn't quite what you want it to be. You are doing more than most of the population. At 56 I don't expect to have the body I used to have. Nor do I expect the women I date too. Take care of yourself, do the best you can, and be satisfied with who you are.
BikerAccnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2017, 10:38 AM   #57
Established Member

I guess you're right! Especially in Eastern Europe where I was born athletic women like Moore or Aniston are considered masculine, especially in conjunction with their facial features (strong jaw etc)'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneL View Post
No Go: I understand you are from Europe and that's perhaps why Jennifer Aniston is too "muscular" to your liking. My observation is that celebrities in the US tend to look less feminine compared to their European or even Latin American counterparts. I remember watching the movie Disclosure (starring Michael Douglas and Demi Moore) many years ago as a teenager. In the movie, Demi was supposed to have a hot body; but I remember getting a little turned off by her muscles (I got the same first impression with Jennifer Aniston). As time goes by, I've become more adapted to this American norm of what a hot body is supposed to look like...
JuneL likes this.
Old 10th July 2017, 10:39 AM   #58
Established Member

Quote:
Im 43, 165cm and 60 kg (about 130lbs), which is about 2kg heavier than I was at 19 yrs old. Overall am quite happy with my weight and I don't want to be super skinny doesn't look good at my age.
Agreed. With age, one doesn't actually look good with a skinny (skeleton) body.
mikeylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2017, 10:47 AM   #59
Established Member

Quote:
I guess you're right! Especially in Eastern Europe where I was born athletic women like Moore or Aniston are considered masculine, especially in conjunction with their facial features (strong jaw etc)'.
This really does go to show that beauty, and other physical perceptions, is truly in the eyes of the beholder. Cultural influences, lifestyle tastes, and a myriad of other factors decide what each of considers attractive in the other sex.
BikerAccnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2017, 10:54 AM   #60
Established Member

Quote:
Get a simple articulating bench and dumbells ranging from 2.5 lb to 40 lb....There are also dumbells that are "self contained" that allow you to change weight by removing pins...They are kinda awkward, but they take up a lot less room than a pile of dumbells..

One thing that I notice most about middle aged women that weight train vs those that don't is that the women who use resistance training generally don't develop those flabby upper arms and their behinds look much firmer/rounder..

TFY
I have naturally broad shoulders and solid arms, so I really have to get over the "weights will make me even broader" fear and accept I'll never have wispy, dainty little arms.....so they might as well be strong I guess lol
CautiouslyOptimistic is offline   Reply With Quote