Do girls usually send guys songs to listen to?

There is this girl that I don't know too well but we're friends on snapchat and once in a while we'll comment on each others stories.

The other day she posted a story and I commented on it. We went back and forth and eventually I let the convo die cause I made my point and there wasn't anything more to discuss.

Later that night she sent me a chat telling me I should go listen to a particular song cause it's really good. I opened her message and never responded.

The song was just a regular country song I don't know what to make of it.

Only she would know the answer to that. Perhaps a little more context would help. Did the song have anything to do with the snapchat stories? What's the song about? etc. I would send songs to my guy friends, but it doesn't mean I'm interested in them.

ExpatInItaly
Later that night she sent me a chat telling me I should go listen to a particular song cause it's really good. I opened her message and never responded.

Why didn't you reply?

• Author
Why didn't you reply?

I don't know. She sent this last Sunday. I was thinking of waiting a couple days and sending Her a message saying that I totally forgot to respond and that I liked the song and wouldn't mind her sending more.

ExpatInItaly
I don't know. She sent this last Sunday. I was thinking of waiting a couple days and sending Her a message saying that I totally forgot to respond and that I liked the song and wouldn't mind her sending more.

If you're interested in talking to her more, you're going about this completely wrong.

Waiting a week to reply would tell me that the guy isn't interested. "Forgot" to respond is the lamest excuse out there and I wouldn't be sending you anything else thereafter.

If you want to keep her interest, you should reply now. It might still be too late, but at least it's more likely to get the results you want than your ill-conceived plan.

People who like music, this would be normal, for them to send to anyone they know, and she was probably finding a casual way to continue a conversation with you and is interested. You don't have to say you like the song if you don't. You can thank her and make one positive observation of the song or artist, like, "I loved his (other song)" or "He has a good voice. My style is a little more rock most of the time."

• Author
If you're interested in talking to her more, you're going about this completely wrong.

Waiting a week to reply would tell me that the guy isn't interested. "Forgot" to respond is the lamest excuse out there and I wouldn't be sending you anything else thereafter.

If you want to keep her interest, you should reply now. It might still be too late, but at least it's more likely to get the results you want than your ill-conceived plan.

It's anxiety. I can't really even explain it. She sent it in a message so once you open it, it goes away. So I had to search for the song, listen to it, and by then I could've totally forgot to respond.

I know I'm rationalizing things the way I want them to be but still. This wouldn't be the first time I haven't responded to a snap of hers. I sent her a snap of my truck covered in salt with the caption titled "yuck" and she responded back with a selfie saying "I'm yuck". I was going to reply to that with something like "not exactly" but I figured ehh better not hit on her.

As a general rule, if someone likes the same genre as me and I find a great new thing, I will share it with them. Male or female, no romance implied.

Why didn't you reply?

Yes. Doesn't seem interested in her. But this is posted in the dating section so I'm confused.

She is engaging with you so just talk and see where it goes. Pretending to forget and wait a few days, meh.

This was her way of connecting with you. She obviously likes this song and is into country music....she was hoping you were into it to as much as she is. She's looking for possible compatibility. Well you flat out don't really care so she's probably thinking "this dude is a dud".

Send her a song... see if she'll engage... if she doesn't, then how many other young women are on SC? And you're trippin' on her? Keep it light and breezy--always--on SC and social media. Not everything is supposed to turn into the love of your life. Some things, really , are just a giggle in the moment,

• Author
Yes. Doesn't seem interested in her. But this is posted in the dating section so I'm confused.

She is engaging with you so just talk and see where it goes. Pretending to forget and wait a few days, meh.

I am interested in her. If you look at my post history this is a big problem I have, conveying my interest. I would much rather talk to her in person but I've never actually met her in person. She commented on something on my story a while back and that's when I was made aware she existed, not even sure how we even became friends on snapchat since everything of mine is private but whatever.

I've had so many girls like me or have crushes on me over the years and I do nothing about it. They always end up thinking I don't like them. I'm 24 and its getting old real fast.

Why didn't you just listen to the song? ... and then talk to her about your impression?

I did listen to the song. I actually like country music.

TheFinalWord

Send her a song back. "Loved the song you sent me! Here's one of my favs"...or something. If it's some girl you don't know in real life, what do you have to risk by asking her to meet you out?

I've had so many girls like me or have crushes on me over the years and I do nothing about it. They always end up thinking I don't like them. I'm 24 and its getting old real fast.

So what is the problem?

If they like you then it is like pushing against an open door so why are you holding back?

• Author

I should admit that I've been ignoring her and taking forever to get back to her (hours in between messages). It was two weeks ago today that she sent the song to me that I basically opened and left on read.

This past Wednesday I posted something to my story in which she responded to. It was a compliment on something that I own and I thanked her for it. She snapped me a picture of her dog when she opened the snap in the morning.

Yesterday I decided that I would address the song she sent me and told her that I liked the song and if she has anymore, don't hesitate to send them to me. She responded by saying " Lol Okay".

I'm not sure if this is a good thing or bad?

Was the "lol okay" just a polite reply?

• Author

So yesterday I posted a pic of my center console screen with a song that I was playing. She responded to it within a couple minutes of my posting with a song that she was playing. Her song was pretty similar to what I posted except by a different artist.

Later in the day I responded back with another song by a popular artist and she sent me a video talking about how she paid for her Ex and herself to see him, front row, in concert. This was late last night and I had no idea how to respond and didn't want to ignore it, so I said "whoops, sorry!" Because how else are you suppose to respond to that? She opened it this morning and didn't respond. Which is what I was expecting. Doubt she would want to continue a convo about that.

What should I make of all this? Is her mentioning an ex-boyfriend a bad thing?

Mrs._December
So yesterday I posted a pic of my center console screen with a song that I was playing. She responded to it within a couple minutes of my posting with a song that she was playing. Her song was pretty similar to what I posted except by a different artist.

Later in the day I responded back with another song by a popular artist and she sent me a video talking about how she paid for her Ex and herself to see him, front row, in concert. This was late last night and I had no idea how to respond and didn't want to ignore it, so I said "whoops, sorry!" Because how else are you suppose to respond to that? She opened it this morning and didn't respond. Which is what I was expecting. Doubt she would want to continue a convo about that.

What should I make of all this? Is her mentioning an ex-boyfriend a bad thing?

I'm just curious - do you folks actually communicate in human ways, like face to face or talking on the phone? Or is all this drama being conducted on your computers and phones, posting on internet profiles and SnapChat 'stories' and private messaging all that. Is this what people have reduced 'socializing' to, now?

Unless you're teenagers (and I'm thinking maybe you are?) then shouldn't you be acting like adults and stop with the internet/chatting/texting/SnapChatting silliness and communicate like adults?

I mean, this back and forth silly stuff has been going on for 2 weeks now and it's like some childish cat and mouse game.

mortensorchid

I used to do that when I was more in the music scene. It was a sign of telling the guy how you felt with a song. Not anymore though, I think I am too old for that. The last time I did that was rather disastrous. But it's nice.

Hi rkc2, I think you are doing a great job. You mentioned anxiety earlier, and yet you're keeping the ball rolling with her with your portion of the communication. Have you made an attempt to call her yet?

todreaminblue

i make everyone listen to songs....send them songs......its not unusual for me...my ex still tells me songs to listen to.....honestly my ex and i ...he wasnt a big talker we communicated love through songs.....same with a dj i dated he would play songs on the radio for me.when i became a dj ...i then played songs as a request show and i would sneak in songs for the guy i was with....

..music...has always been a language of love....country songs in particular...about love family and good friends...it could be totally innocent sharing a love of music with you...or it could mean something more...play it by ear..:0)...and let it pan out how it will..listen to the music........deb

ExpatInItaly

You two need get out of the digital world and into real life, OP. All this posting and online attention-seeking is going to get old fast, and she will lose any interest she might have.

Ask if she'd like to grab a coffee with you sometime.

• Author

I just don't know why she mentioned in the video she went with her ex and paid for everything. Feel like that was a very personal piece of information considering we don't really know each other.

Why not just say it was a friend? Was she trying to tell me that she is single?

I just don't know why she mentioned in the video she went with her ex and paid for everything. Feel like that was a very personal piece of information considering we don't really know each other.

Hi rkc2, I think you may be over analyzing this. You should try getting on the phone with her, which will lead to actual dating (in person). You don't know her in-depth yet, and it may have been a meaningless piece of information to her, which simply had some relation to the song you mentioned.

Hi rkc2,

Yes, women share songs with me all the time. All it should tell you is she's trying to connect with you, she loves the song and wants you to listen to it. But if you are trying to gauge her interest like this, don't. Don't sit around, decoding on social media. You will never get a concrete answer because everything will be speculation at best. You'll lose your mind and lose your chance in the process. I've been there long time ago and I learned the hard way.

Keep it simple. Do you like her and are you interested in getting to know her more? Yes or no?

If yes, ask her if she wants to do something fun with you. Something you both might enjoy. Axe throwing, Old school arcades, mini golf, a free concert etc. The activity will give you two something to talk about. It'll also be the buffer for the two of you incase you encounter awkward silences. Thirdly, it'll break the ice and loosen you two up so that when you go for food afterwards, you'll be more relaxed to start getting to know one another. Enjoy the night, get to know her and plan something again and go from there.

If she declines and offers no alternative date..she's not interested in you. If you encounter that, stop talking to her.

Interested folk keep the conversations going. They ask questions. They talk. If you ask them if they want to hang out, they'll say yes. If they can't because of a schedule conflict, they'll reschedule with you and they will show up. There will always be forward momentum. Uninterested folk by contrast do the opposite and it'll feel like no matter what you do, you can't connect or get close to them. It just doesn't go anywhere and it's not for a lack of trying.

Simple as that.

- Beach

Edited by Beachead