While I do agree that some propensity for obesity is genetic, I don't think this means that those people can't avoid that from happening. It just means they might have to work harder than someone else and have more willpower. (It reminds me of the Oprah episode with Dr. Phil, where Oprah said "But some people can eat whatever they want and not gain weight" and Dr. Phil said "Well that's not you!")

One of my friends, M, has one of the best bodies I have ever seen on a guy. He looks phenomenal. One night we were out together and he told me he used to be fat. I didn't believe him, so he showed me pictures. He was the fat kid until he was about fourteen. At that point, he decided he wasn't going to live that way, so he started eating right and working out. Now, fifteen years later, he still works out 4 times a week and watches what he eats. And like I said, he looks great. He may have been genetically predisposed to being overweight, but he beat it by changing his lifestyle.

The thing I have problems with is what Ryan raised...you don't gain 100 pounds overnight. At some point it must register that you are gaining weight. (If anything than having to buy new clothes in bigger sizes to accommodate your new size.) If I gain 5 pounds I notice, and adjust my habits accordingly. I understand that this procedure is for the morbidly obese, but why even let it get to that point? That's what I really don't understand. (This along with liposuction.) It all seems like the easy way out, in lieu of actually having to monitor what you eat or go to the gym three or four times a week.

People do and can lose hundreds of pounds without having surgery, so I don't completely buy the excuse of it being too difficult to exercise when excessively overweight. It takes baby steps. You can't expect to lose a hundred pounds overnight, just as you can't gain it overnight. I don't know...it all seems like instant gratification to me. And if you don't have the willpower to eat right or get to the gym daily, then how could you have the willpower to actually go on a diet? I think there are very few people who can eat whatever they want and never exercise and still fit into a size 2 jeans. To have a nice body (and more importantly, stay healthy) it requires work, just like anything else.

Congrats on your 80 lb loss, Ally. Hope this continues to work out well for you.

• Author

The thing that most people say about this surgery is that it's the easy way out. I disagree.

I know people who have had the surgery, couldn't get it through their head that they can ONLY eat 2 oz, and then stretch it out and even GAIN weight.

The surgery is a tool...that's all. It's just as hard as following any diet, and requires excercise like any other diet. The catch is, it helps you lose it FASTER.

I'm glad I had it done. I didn't have my intestines removed like some people do, I just had my stomach banded...which is reversable.

I have reached plateau's since the surgery just like one would in any other diet. All the surgery is, is a puzzle piece that when used with the other pieces, is a success.

One good thing is....you save a lot of money on food. ;)

All of this research and discovery is still in its infancy.

And until retrofitting of human genetics is feasible, this is a moot point. All that is being found are microscopic details about macroscopic truths we already know. The basics aren't changing.

He may have been genetically predisposed to being overweight, but he beat it by changing his lifestyle.

I'd just like to reiterate: ALL HUMANS ARE GENETICALLY PREDISPOSED TO INCREASING BODYFAT STORES. The physiological process that causes one person to gain 5 pounds is THE SAME for another person who gains 50 pounds.

The thing that most people say about this surgery is that it's the easy way out. I disagree.

I would concur. It is not an easy way out. It is a physical fix to a psychological problem, thus not addressing the root issue.

The surgery is a tool...that's all. It's just as hard as following any diet, and requires excercise like any other diet. The catch is, it helps you lose it FASTER.

That's not true. The surgery does nothing to stimulate your metabolism. A calorie is a calorie, regardless of the size of your stomach.