Giving proper notice and then getting sacked

They pay is if they chose to let that person go on the spot instead of working their notice..

That is the way it works.. by the way.. if an employer choses to not work you for a 2 weeks notice that doesn't make him a git..

You chose to quit.. that in itself is telling the employer to FO.

and yes I would expect to be let go anytime I turn in my notice.. but I am an employer in my own company so I would have to be bought out not let go :)

This is a response from a person who has, for whatever reasons, a negative attide about something that does not need to be that way and it's not necesarily the way it works. People can get along better. Telling an employer that one is quitting is not equivalent to FO. There can be (and are) many, many reasons why a person moves on. Just yesterday a women left our firm for basically the same type of job in a new firm. She gave her two weeks, finished it out, her dept had a small party for her on her last day and a company e-mail was circulated from her immediate boss wishing her well. No hard feelings on either side - no "bad eggs" no bad morale. A professional departure on both sides. I suspect Art_critic causes more problems that s/he realizes...

I have had 2 friends in the past month tell me they left their jobs and gave proper 2 weeks notice and then a day or 2 later they were sacked.

Is this a common thing for companies to do these days?

I would be a little scared to give proper notice if I knew that was going to happen.

It does not have to be this way and I would say it's not common. Your last sentence is why Art_critc treats his/her employees badly - his/her reward for them giving 2 weeks - doing the right thing - is to be told to leave right away.

And as for severance, it depends on the state. Pennsylvania has no such requirement. (although they may be able to apply for unemployment later...)

Try to do the right thing and Art_critic will screw you over."

Loserdude..

How is giving someone severence screwing over someone ?

They have decided to no longer be part of the team.. the team that pays the bills..

My first and foremost priority is the other employees and my company.. not someone that chose to leave the team.

I have owned my own company for over 20 years and most of my employees are long termers.. So I guess I am doing something right .. no ?

By the way.. not every person that leaves leaves for bad reasons.. if someone that has been part of the team for years leaves on good terms we still turn down their offer to work the 2 weeks.

I have found in my business and in my competitive industry that it is better for to have that policy.

I remember about 20 years ago we had a an employee leave and go to a competitor..on good terms..

we let him work his 2 weeks notice..

While doing this he made copies of all of our client lists as well as copies of all the roladex's ( remember those ? ) on the sales staff's desks..

He also took samples of our work and the company he went too starting showing those samples to our customers and passing off our work as theirs.

Attorneys had to get involved

This is when the policy was created.. get it ? it isn't always about smiles and making everyone happy.. sometimes it is about business

I suspect Art_critic causes more problems that s/he realizes...

:lmao:......like what ?? a thriving successful business with happy well fed employees ?

Being responsible for people and their familes can be the driving force to why I have followed certain principles.. you ought to try it..

Your last sentence is why Art_critc treats his/her employees badly - his/her reward for them giving 2 weeks

Do I have an target on my back that you seem to be shooting at ?

While you don't know these things let me explain some other facts to help you jump to more conclusions. since jumping to conclusions and accusations seems to be what you have in mind.

My employees have a 401-k with an above standard match.

100% of all of their health care insurance paid for by the company.

They all have a disability policy paid for by the company.

Dental insurance paid for by the company

3 weeks per year paid vacation

The company maintains a financial consultant on a yearly retainer for the employees to use to plan their retirement and investments.

They are the highest paid in our industry..

The environment is a creative one and very family oriented.

40 hrs a week is standard week.

How am I treating my employees badly ? by paying them severance if they decide to leave ??

In my mind the worker that chooses to leave for whatever reason is no longer an employee when the notice is given..

I certainly don't have a hard tone with someone leaving unless they are leaving for bad reasons.

I wish them well and thank them for their service..

But in reality my direction has to be in the direction of the other people employeed by me not the one leaving.

Telling an employer that one is quitting is not equivalent to FO.

Yes I think you are right and maybe I needed to post more info when I made that comment.

While it isn't equal to saying FO it can and does sometime have the same feelings to have someone quit on you..

Sometimes it is felt as a failure of mine.. sometimes it feels as a rejection.. when it feels as a rejection then is it equal to an FO...

and sometimes people part on good terms with no animosity and the feelings are all good..

Not unlike bf/gf breakups...

Loserdude..

How is giving someone severence screwing over someone ?

They have decided to no longer be part of the team.. the team that pays the bills..

My first and foremost priority is the other employees and my company.. not someone that chose to leave the team.

I have owned my own company for over 20 years and most of my employees are long termers.. So I guess I am doing something right .. no ?

By the way.. not every person that leaves leaves for bad reasons.. if someone that has been part of the team for years leaves on good terms we still turn down their offer to work the 2 weeks.

I have found in my business and in my competitive industry that it is better for to have that policy.

I remember about 20 years ago we had a an employee leave and go to a competitor..on good terms..

we let him work his 2 weeks notice..

While doing this he made copies of all of our client lists as well as copies of all the roladex's ( remember those ? ) on the sales staff's desks..

He also took samples of our work and the company he went too starting showing those samples to our customers and passing off our work as theirs.

Attorneys had to get involved

This is when the policy was created.. get it ? it isn't always about smiles and making everyone happy.. sometimes it is about business

Okay okay, these are good points - I was just responding to your posts that did not include the foregoing information, as in " You chose to quit.. that in itself is telling the employer to FO" and " If an employee gives notice I always let them go on the spot" Further, you didn't state that it was company policy for 20 years, which I suppose is communicated to the employee at hiring or at some point down the line. You kind of made it seem very Draconian, (for example, I didn't know you would give the severance) - which I'm sure was not your intent, so given your further elucidation, I can say you're not as bad as I made it sound. Sorry.

You kind of made it seem very Draconian, .

I agree... I wasn't posting my thoughts properly with the keyboard.. sometimes things get lost in the text of online words and the tone comes off wrong..

All is good LD.... now.. time for me to get my butt up to the mountains for some relaxation

bluechocolate

Clearly I'm a bit slow on the uptake here.

Are you saying that in the US, if an employee gives notice to leave the company can tell them to leave that day and legally NOT pay out the notice?

Are you saying that in the US, if an employee gives notice to leave the company can tell them to leave that day and legally NOT pay out the notice?

There are companies that have "at will" employment. Meaning, they can fire you at any time and you can leave at anytime (walk out). I've seen people get fired (they were given written warnings and notice) and I only saw one temp walk out- she went for lunch and never came back. So, in my experience, I think its rare that employees and companies follow the "at will" policy.

• Author
justagirliegirl

Yes that is what happened to my friends. let go and no pay.

• Author
justagirliegirl
I agree... I wasn't posting my thoughts properly with the keyboard.. sometimes things get lost in the text of online words and the tone comes off wrong..

All is good LD.... now.. time for me to get my butt up to the mountains for some relaxation

So when you hire someone you tell them the policy upfront?

So what is someone left because they were moving or was going to have a baby or retire or something? They get the same crappy boot too?

I guess it saves $ on going away parties.

AC--you hiring?

It's not a "US" question but a question of specifically in which state one is. In Pennsylvania, where I live (and practice law), it is an "at will" state meaning that without an employment contract, either party may terminate at any time. The notice is just a professional courtesy but neither party is required to abide by it nor pay severance. (there are rules regarding collecting unemployment, however).

:lmao:......like what ?? a thriving successful business with happy well fed employees ?

Being responsible for people and their familes can be the driving force to why I have followed certain principles.. you ought to try it..

But theoretically : couldn't someone steal company records , data, in those 2 weeks prior ?( or even further back ) ?

Can you tell us the line of work you are involved in ? I'm just curious if its okay to ask,...

I want to further add that in most places I have worked , 2 weeks will get you two weeks and appreciation from the company that you gave notice. If you really lucky a small party given by your co workers....

I am not sure I agree with the theory FO = quitting . People move on for many reasons ....you have a long time staff. With good benefits. You have the incentives that keep people working . Not all jobs are like that . :)

MWC_LifeBeginsAt40

In my province (Canada) employers are required to give an employee 2 weeks notice unless there is just cause, such as violence or theft. This notice can be paid in lieu rather than having the employee work the 2 weeks.

Employees are NOT required to give notice but it is a courtesy thing.

In certain occupations such as high security or even sales, the employer will terminate an employee instantly for reasons stated in other posts.

If you are a hairdresser, your boss wouldn't want you to tell all your customers where you are going. If you are a car salesman, they don't want you telling all your customers to come see you at your new dealership. It just makes sense.

Severance pay is payment for loss of office or retirement. I keep arguing with HR here NOT to call Lieu of Notice as severance pay. A disgruntled employee who has a pay record saying "severance" but no "lieu of notice" can still fight for their 2 weeks In Lieu of Notice (or more if there is an employement or union contract.)

• 3 weeks later...

And yes, where I work is an "at will" state however, in my company's rule book, two weeks notice is asked for....

Being that we have a winter "season" when everyone comes down f/up north, I would never leave this position until after season.

The person who's job I took, gave a month's notice as they were leaving right during the beginning of season...I got a week's training and that was IT. My first season was crazy...I learned why she left at the end of the year...XMAS bonuses...

Anyhow, I've been at my position 2 years now, which is pretty good considering it's Florida....

I would always give 2 weeks notice.