Define spirtuality

Timmy

where is Century headed? Has it moved into higher spirituality or are people just interested in material wealth, popularity and a good lay?

Is anyone interested in their spirtual growth, and how would you define it?

Your question is once again extremely general. There is no way to measure whether the world, as a whole, is becomming more spiritual or not.

Spirituality is defined, generally, as that aspect of a person which is concerned with inner growth and personal development, a greater understanding of life, love and death, a longing to have compassion and forgiveness for others, the development of a peaceful existence on this earth plain, and the knowledge that one is part of and not apart from the whole of humanity.

There is no such thing as "higher spirituality." Every person grows at his own pace and every person defines spirituality according to his own perception and needs. For some, it's going to church on Sunday and praying to a deity of some sort. For others, it's meditating and trying to become at peace with the world. There a monks, priests, nuns, etc. who dedicate their entire life to meditation, prayer, teaching and the service of others.

Percentage wise, I don't think any greater number of people are spiritually inclined now than at any other time in recent history. I do think that television programs, such as PBS interviews with Joseph Campbell, the rise in popularity of self-help books and metaphysical studies, the increased numbers of speakers on matters of spiritual growth, etc., have given people a greater awareness that there is a spiritual aspect of themselves to be developed.

Perhaps these products of the media have generated some additional interest in people or suggested new avenues of spiritual growth to help them become more fulfilled as spiritual beings.

Dr. Wayne Dyer, author of "Pulling Your Own Strings" and "Your Erroneous Zones" among others says we are not human bodies in a spiritual world but we are spiritual beings in a human world. In other words, his emphasis is on the fact that we are all more spiritual than human and therefore we have the innate desire to develop that part of ourselves.

I do think there are some countries and cultures where people more easilly develop their spiritual sides. When I was in Europe, I noticed people were more into the spiritual aspect of themselves. Eastern countries, India, etc. seem to be more spiritually oriented. In America, our culture and media bombards us with messages concerning materialism, wealth, competition, etc. and our emphasis is on making money and keeping up with the guy next door. Many worship Bill Gates and the green god of the dollar rather than the God within them.

When I attended the University of London, I found the majority of students there attended to make themselves better as human beings. Prior to that, I attended the Unveristy of South Florida where I got the general feeling that most people were there to gain knowledge that would translate to higher earnings of money later in life.

People have to be ready to develope their spirituality and take it to new depths in their own psyche. Often, it take either the influence of others or a traumatic experience to bring this about.

Are you some kind of wise old man sat up a huge mountain flicking your way through an encylopedia and agony aunt columns finding the solutions to people questions cos from medicine to mammals you know it all !!!! Do you have time for work or are you getting paid for this ???

Do you have a set of standards responses and some others you can spice up from time to time in order to appear a wizard at any subject?? is it you main aim to be seen as some kind of wise one?? If all this information comes from off the top of your head Im a dutchman!!! How old are you Tony? whats your story???

Your question is once again extremely general. There is no way to measure whether the world, as a whole, is becomming more spiritual or not.

Spirituality is defined, generally, as that aspect of a person which is concerned with inner growth and personal development, a greater understanding of life, love and death, a longing to have compassion and forgiveness for others, the development of a peaceful existence on this earth plain, and the knowledge that one is part of and not apart from the whole of humanity. There is no such thing as "higher spirituality." Every person grows at his own pace and every person defines spirituality according to his own perception and needs. For some, it's going to church on Sunday and praying to a deity of some sort. For others, it's meditating and trying to become at peace with the world. There a monks, priests, nuns, etc. who dedicate their entire life to meditation, prayer, teaching and the service of others. Percentage wise, I don't think any greater number of people are spiritually inclined now than at any other time in recent history. I do think that television programs, such as PBS interviews with Joseph Campbell, the rise in popularity of self-help books and metaphysical studies, the increased numbers of speakers on matters of spiritual growth, etc., have given people a greater awareness that there is a spiritual aspect of themselves to be developed. Perhaps these products of the media have generated some additional interest in people or suggested new avenues of spiritual growth to help them become more fulfilled as spiritual beings.

Dr. Wayne Dyer, author of "Pulling Your Own Strings" and "Your Erroneous Zones" among others says we are not human bodies in a spiritual world but we are spiritual beings in a human world. In other words, his emphasis is on the fact that we are all more spiritual than human and therefore we have the innate desire to develop that part of ourselves. I do think there are some countries and cultures where people more easilly develop their spiritual sides. When I was in Europe, I noticed people were more into the spiritual aspect of themselves. Eastern countries, India, etc. seem to be more spiritually oriented. In America, our culture and media bombards us with messages concerning materialism, wealth, competition, etc. and our emphasis is on making money and keeping up with the guy next door. Many worship Bill Gates and the green god of the dollar rather than the God within them. When I attended the University of London, I found the majority of students there attended to make themselves better as human beings. Prior to that, I attended the Unveristy of South Florida where I got the general feeling that most people were there to gain knowledge that would translate to higher earnings of money later in life. People have to be ready to develope their spirituality and take it to new depths in their own psyche. Often, it take either the influence of others or a traumatic experience to bring this about.

i really like this question and i really want to to respond but i don't know what to say. I think spirituality is related to being aware of the big picture. not always being fettered and tied down by everyday things. living in awe of the universe and our immortality.

1. Do you have time for work or are you getting paid for this ???

I have lots of time for work...good time management. I don't get paid a dime for posting here. I'm just another guy visiting here like everybody else. I don't see my posts as particularly different from others except I took a one year typing class in high school (and I still make mxstakes).

2. Do you have a set of standards responses and some others you can spice up from time to time in order to appear a wizard at any subject?? is it you main aim to be seen as some kind of wise one??

Nope and nope. I'm just a nickname in this form like all others. For all who come here, I exist only in their imagination. How people see me is of no significance because they only exist in my imagination and I have total and complete control over that. I do not concern myself with how other people see me and therefore I can be frank and honest and not hold back on how I feel and what advice I give here.

3. If all this information comes from off the top of your head Im a dutchman!!!

You're a dutchman.

4. How old are you Tony?

I'm legal.

5. whats your story???

I work for the Daily Planet and when people need help I head for a phone booth or closet. And I don't particularly care for Lois Lane anymore since Julia Roberts came on the scene. I am champion and defender of all that's good, but a relentless foe of all that's bad and evil.

And cryptonite makes me sick.

Nice answering qualities !!!

Im still non the wiser but I think thats just how you like it.

Besides Julia is way better than that lois chick hatcher or thatcher or whatever far too stuck up, anyway .......I was just wandering.

1. Do you have time for work or are you getting paid for this ??? I have lots of time for work...good time management. I don't get paid a dime for posting here. I'm just another guy visiting here like everybody else. I don't see my posts as particularly different from others except I took a one year typing class in high school (and I still make mxstakes). 2. Do you have a set of standards responses and some others you can spice up from time to time in order to appear a wizard at any subject?? is it you main aim to be seen as some kind of wise one?? Nope and nope. I'm just a nickname in this form like all others. For all who come here, I exist only in their imagination. How people see me is of no significance because they only exist in my imagination and I have total and complete control over that. I do not concern myself with how other people see me and therefore I can be frank and honest and not hold back on how I feel and what advice I give here. 3. If all this information comes from off the top of your head Im a dutchman!!! You're a dutchman. 4. How old are you Tony? I'm legal. 5. whats your story??? I work for the Daily Planet and when people need help I head for a phone booth or closet. And I don't particularly care for Lois Lane anymore since Julia Roberts came on the scene. I am champion and defender of all that's good, but a relentless foe of all that's bad and evil. And cryptonite makes me sick.