She isn't really a "flowers and chocolates" kind of girl, either. She isn't butch by any means, but she likes heavy music, skulls, etc. You'd never know it to look at her, either--which is awesome. She looks so innocent and "girl-next-door" and then rocks out to the Melvins or Witch. Rules.

I can't get her music because she knows more about than I do. She works in the coolest record store in town.

How about tickets to an out of town concert or music festival you could take her to? A rare split, EP, live DVD or even a book about one of her favorite bands? Look online for vintage shirts or posters of her favorite bands (if she's into the Melvins, she may be into the Cro-Mags, the Misfits, Napalm Death.)

The flowers and candy schtick won't work with this girl and there's nothing wrong with asking her what kind of music, books or other gift she'd really like to have. Not all of us ladies want sappy romantic gifts.

Get the foot massage thing because she did mention : shows you are paying attention.

With that gift get her a new set of lounge wear.... not lingerie....but lounge wear, google it if you don't know what that is........

Along with that give her the gift cert to the book store with a note that gives her a evening of relaxation.... includes you cooking dinner and letting her sit back in her new clothing, soaking her feet, while you cook dinner.

And on your way to cook this dinner pick up those flowers and chocolates. Prepare a very good and romantic dinner....... or pick up gourmet take out.

And don't forget a new car, a mammoth flat-screen TV, and a couple diamonds. :lmao: Yeesh, a4a, it's just a birthday - and they're not married!

• Author

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I thought about asking her family about what book to get her, but they are all so different from one another that they wouldn't really know, either.

I'd never buy her music (unless I knew that she loved the band beforehand, in which case she would probably have the CD already, so moot point, really), or clothes.

She majored in Spanish Literature, so I think I am going to give her some nonficition books I have on Latin music and Mexican pulp comics.

I could be really insensitive and get her a book on Iwo Jima or Gettysburg because that's what I like to read about--which now that I think about I might do anyway, because she'd think that was funny. She'd get the other stuff, too, of course.

The only time she really cooks is when there is a party at her house (we don't live together), otherwise we eat out a lot. We both love to go out to eat! I'm taking her out to dinner for her birthday also.

Her car is getting ready to die, so I might give her one of my cars. It's a 79 Caddy, so it isn't like I am super rich guy...It runs like a watch, looks cool, and she loves old stuff like that. And, it would still be my car, she'd just get to drive it everyday. If things go the way they are I am going to marry her, so she'll get the car anyway--or it'll still be my car anyway. Whatever.

• Author
How about tickets to an out of town concert or music festival you could take her to? A rare split, EP, live DVD or even a book about one of her favorite bands? Look online for vintage shirts or posters of her favorite bands (if she's into the Melvins, she may be into the Cro-Mags, the Misfits, Napalm Death.)

The flowers and candy schtick won't work with this girl and there's nothing wrong with asking her what kind of music, books or other gift she'd really like to have. Not all of us ladies want sappy romantic gifts.

True! She has thousands of Cds and records. Literally. She has worked in this record store for over ten years, so there is no way that I could compete with her music collection. She loves Fu Manchu and Witch--but she also loves exoctica and 50's bachelor pad music (as do I). I turn her on to that stuff, and she turns me on to just about everything else. For my birthday last year (before we were a couple) she gave ME all the band posters she didn't have room for anymore. WE have exactly the same taste in music, with very littel variance. First girlfriend I have ever had I can say that about.

We were going to go out of town to see Ween in a couple weeks, but I am leaving the country so I can't go now. She is still going, though.

The great thing about this is she doesn't really care about her birthday AT ALL, so no matter what I do I win, really.

The great thing about this is she doesn't really care about her birthday AT ALL, so no matter what I do I win, really.

So then MOAI, don't do anything. Don't acknowledge her B-Day in any way. No gifts, no dinner, no nothing.

We'll see what happens then :laugh:

• Author
So then MOAI, don't do anything. Don't acknowledge her B-Day in any way. No gifts, no dinner, no nothing.

We'll see what happens then :laugh:

:laugh: I probably should!

clandestinidad

I just had a thought....

What do you know about her artistic tastes? Does she like paintings, photography??.....what colors does she like??......would she prefer nature or human subjects??......

I love hard, loud music...as well as other artistic endeavors, and would love it if someone bought me some type of artwork. well, if they knew my taste fairly well, that is

• Author

She likes Mark Chapman a lot--at least I think that's his name. That is a good idea! I can judge what she'll like in visual arts better than in any other area.

She likes Mark Chapman a lot--

didn't he like shoot john lennon or prez reagan?

• Author

Mark David Chapman shot John Lennon...but he is also an artist who lives in LA, I think. His stuff is in Juxtapoz magazine a lot.

I am not sure if he carries a well-thumbed copy of "Catcher In The Rye" in his back pocket or not, though....