So how many of us on LS are abuse survivors?

Becoming

My mother abused me physically, emotionally and sexually.

It is only recently that I have been confronting it and seeing how it has influenced many of my issues with women.

Not an easy thing to do, Woggle. I know I tease you about some of your more misogynistic comments at times, but I admire you for addressing this and confronting the difficult issues.

Re abuse - I've mentioned before that I grew up with a very fiery tempered father. There was a bit of scandal in the family when I was a baby, because he shook me really hard for crying while I was teething. I don't think people realised back then just how serious and life threatening a deal it is to shake a baby. As I was growing up, he beat me sometimes, and beat my older brother really violently on a pretty regular basis. In turn, my brother bullied me a lot - broke one of my fingers (I didn't get taken to the hospital as so it never set properly, and I'm always trying to hide it from people as it looks pretty ugly), shot me in the the leg with an air pistol and generally was a s*** to me.

I think it's difficult to know what's normal and what's not. Most people have stories of bullying and the odd parental hiding from their childhood, and compared to a lot of stories I've heard I don't feel I could describe myself as an abused child. That probably has a lot to do with the fact that I come from a middle class family and feel it would be a bit whiny and self indulgent to think of myself as abused. Also, these are issues I've resolved with the family members as much as you ever do.

Things are just a lot different now. We have child protection helplines in the UK...which are far more accessible to kids than the police are. I'd have probably made use of them as a child if they'd been around back then.

RecordProducer

Pam, your story is so heart-breaking... B_O, Woggle.. and everyone... I am so sorry, guys. :(

You know my story already.

• Author

sho sho SHA SHA

(great idea, BOt and BC!)

sho sho SHA SHA

And let's add a SHAZAM (just because I like to say that word!)

What proof of the indomintability of human spirit! Be happy for NOW! And I know reading all this has kicked all this stuff up once again for me. If that's true for you, may you do something good for yourselves this weekend.

We are alive and we now have the power to choose good for ourselves and to figure out what that means if we don't know. Yeah! :bunny: :bunny: