Husband's siblings affecting our relationship

Sammie79

Before I got married to my husband he lived in his very large inherited home together with his brother (49) and sister (60).  My husband was paying all the household bills and maintenance as well as extra money to his brother who was studying.  After getting married we started to live separately in an apartment but he continued to pay the bills of the house where his brother Before I got married to my husband he lived in his very large inherited home together with his brother (49) and sister (60).  My husband was paying all the household bills and maintenance as well as extra money to his brother who was studying.  After getting married we started to live separately in an apartment but he continued to pay the bills of the house where his brother and sister were living as they did not have a regular income according to him (despite sister owning several rental properties).  We now have a child of our own and looking to buy a house but because my husband is paying a good chunk of his income towards household bills of the house where his brother and sister live we are really struggling and it’s affecting my relationship with my husband.  He says he loves his siblings but at the same time is stressed out  financially.   They both also have an issue of hoarding which they both deny despite the whole house full of clutter.  Every time we raise this issue with his brother and sister they emotionally blackmail my husband and say even if they start paying the bills my husband will still have to contribute 1/3 towards the bills.  We never stayed a single night in that house and they have also taken over my husband’s portion of the house but they keep saying he is legally responsible for paying 1/3 towards the household bills.  Is this correct? What should we do? Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks 

• Author
Sammie79

Before I got married to my husband he lived in his very large inherited home together with his brother (49) and sister (60).  My husband was paying all the household bills and maintenance as well as extra money to his brother who was studying.  After getting married we started to live separately in an apartment but he continued to pay the bills of the house where his brother and sister lived as they did not have a regular income according to him (despite sister owning several rental properties).  We now have a child of our own and looking to buy a house but because my husband is paying a good chunk of his income towards household bills of the house where his brother and sister live we are really struggling and it’s affecting my relationship with my husband as he loves them too.  They both also have an issue of hoarding which they both deny despite the whole house full of clutter.  Every time we raise this issue with his brother and sister they emotionally blackmail my husband and say even if they start paying the bills my husband will still have to contribute 1/3 towards the bills.  We never stayed a single night in that house and they have also taken over my husband’s portion of the house but they keep saying he is legally responsible for paying 1/3 towards the household bills.  Is this correct? What should we do? Any advice would be appreciated.  

d0nnivain

You need to talk to a lawyer.  There is a legal thing called an action for partition.  One owner can force the others to sell or buy him out under certain circumstances.  There may be no way back from that emotionally.  

• Like 2
Wiseman2

Is your husband on the deed or mortgage? Can he sell his portion of the house to his siblings and wash his hands of this mess?

• Like 3
  • Author
Sammie79
4 hours ago, Wiseman2 said:

Is your husband on the deed or mortgage? Can he sell his portion of the house to his siblings and wash his hands of this mess?

The house is mortgage free and my husband is on the deed but both his brother and sister don’t want to buy and just want him to carry on paying the bills.  They say he owns 1/3 of the house so he should pay the bills but we don’t even live there.  

d0nnivain

That is why you need to talk to a lawyer about a partition sale. 

If your husband doesn't want to do that to his siblings, have him keep meticulous records of every cent he sinks into that house for bills, taxes, upkeep etc.  When one or both of the siblings dies & the house is eventually sold, he may be able to claw back some of that money from the sale.   Example:  over the years he pays $90,000 toward the house, meaning each sibling should have contributed $30,000.   The house later sells for $300,000.  Your hubby would get $160,000 & the siblings would only get $70,000    

Again, talk to a LAWYER

Wiseman2

The problem is your husband, not his siblings. He doesn't want to give up his share of the house or his responsibility to maintain it. Since it's his property there's not much you can do except explain that you want him to invest in your marriage and future. 

• Like 1
On 3/24/2024 at 2:59 PM, Sammie79 said:

They say he owns 1/3 of the house so he should pay the bills but we don’t even live there.  

Doesn't matter  you don't live there, he is a co-owner so he has to pay his portion. 

If their hoarding is bad then call the fire department and ask them to do an inspection of the house. Hoarding is illegal.

• Like 2
basil67
On 3/25/2024 at 5:59 AM, Sammie79 said:

The house is mortgage free and my husband is on the deed but both his brother and sister don’t want to buy and just want him to carry on paying the bills.  They say he owns 1/3 of the house so he should pay the bills but we don’t even live there.  

I would guess that as co-owner he should pay his share of rates to the local council/shire, but he shouldn't be paying for water/gas/electricity.   However I agree that this is a husband problem rather than a sibling problem - because nothing is going to change unless he stands his ground

Another vote for him seeing a lawyer. 

stillafool

Can your husband force them to sell the home because he no longer wants to be an owner with them?  IDK, ask an attorney and then tell your husband that his allegiance should be to you and his child.  What are you supposed to do put you and the babies life on hold until they die?