What does it mean if your ex liked your dating profile?

sparrowb

Hi, just simply my friend is shivering with the situation so writing for her instead. 

My best friend was in love with this guy who is crazy workerholic but ye i don't know why she liked him so much but they were together like a year, year and half and mutually decided to end. 

And she had the worst 1-1,5 year aftermatch going through the emotional break down and depression and nowadays she's going on dates and really feel better by herself which is great for her. 

And she's on this dating app, and just an hour ago her ex liked her profile, they didn't have any contact for the last 2 years almost, one time she bumped into him and he was with another girl which also hurt her but ye when she texted him last time after break up just to end in good terms and good bye text he didn't reply her. And this happens today so my friend is intrigued a bit but also saying it's so unfair this happened. As far as i know him, he knows my friend too nice to him or he used to say that, or ye the nicest person he ever dated so i think my assumption is just, he wants to either reconnect or just from curiosity. As my friend cut off all networks with him even all his friends it's a bit weird that he just did it for friendliness or so. 

I would try my best to tell my friend just simply ignore but i think she is intrigued to just listen what he says as well. What do you think? 

Lotsgoingon

Likely this means he’s just wishing her well. That’s it!

On a deeper level, guy. what it means is that your friend needs to step out of the passive position in life and instead make herself the star of her own story, the decisionmaker. What she does NOT want to do is ask: what does this "like" mean? As in what does HE mean? What does she want? What does she think is best for herself to do in response to the like?

Sounds to me like she had some kind of unhealthy over-attachment going on that she totally crashed for more than a year. You want to go to grief after a breakup (assuming the relationship was good). But breakdown and depression often (not always) mean the person needs to develop more a sense of worth without being partnered with someone.

One way to recover after being dumped is to identify all the downsides of dating the person. You stop seeing the relationship as this perfect thing that got suddenly crushed and destroyed and more focus on the downside, usually multiple, of dating this person. Sounds like she has more work to do here. 

The bottom line here is that asking what this guy’s “like” means makes no sense because it's based on the inaccurate and self-rejecting and teenagerish view that she is powerless and helpless and dependent on the feelings of this other person.

Wiseman2

Whenever an ex contacts you, it's for their own reasons. Lonely, horny, bored, just got dumped, wants attention or a shoulder to cry on,etc. If she's really curious let her find out but it's usually not good news. 

basil67

I'd assume it was just an acknowledgment of seeing her profile.  Kind of like a "hello" in passing

• Like 1
MsJayne

If he wanted to reconnect with her he doesn't need to do it through a date site, and the most likely reason he did the 'like' is for the potential ego-boost of her simpering for a few crumbs of his attention. She should ignore it and block his profile.