Numb on Anti-depressants

I was just wondering for those who are on, or have been on anti-depressants if they have noticed a decrease in their ability to feel remorse or empathy?

I was on anti-depressants (paxil) last year for a few months and during this period it was like I couldn't feel bad for anyone. I am usually a very sympathetic person, but I wasn't even able to feel bad when my boyfriend broke up with me.

I went off them because of not being able to feel anything, but as I began to get increasingly more depressed this year I made the decision to go back on them, however my doctor switched me to prozac.

Now I am beginning to feel numb again, and when I saw my doctor this week I talked to her about it but she said that I haven't been on them that long (about 2 months) and to continue staying on them but to keep her updated on these feelings.

I was just curious to know if anyone has had a similar experience?

You do have a right not to be on them if that is what you want. Lexapro is a relatively new SSRI that supposedly has fewer side effects than the others (e.g. paxil, zoloft, prozac, celexa.) People that don't tolerate the other SSRI's can sometimes take Lexapro without side effects.

Another option might be the TCA's (trycyclic antidepressants) they are "older" drugs but do work better than SSRI's for some people.

Newer than TCA's is Wellbutrin an antidepressant in a class by itself.

There are a couple of other options but I'd suggest talking to your doc about Lexapro or Wellbutrin. Two months is long enough to tell that you are having undesirable side effects like "numbness."

Antidepressants are fine but ideally you would be in therapy to work through your depression so that in the future you might not require them.

Is your doc an MD or a shrink?

I, too, question your dr. From what I've read Prozac takes about 2 weeks to kick in. You may need to be referred to a psychiatrist who is the one who knows how to mess with getting just the right meds.

• 1 month later...

I pulled up this old thread because over the last week I have heard 3 personal accounts of taking Wellbutrin. My ex just started them .......what a difference.

1st acct. person kept misplacing items, actually hallucinated, ended up outside and knocked on neighbors door stating she was lost. This is my dearest friends SO. She was on them approx 4 months. Prescribed for depression.

2nd acct male on low dose of wellbutrin to help stop smoking, quit wellbutrin within 5 weeks because as he stated a serious fog came over him, he felt out of whack and could not function properly at work. He told me this yesterday. he was acting odd, repeating stories, out of sync.... now I know why. He is still smoking.

3rd acct was again on wellbutrin to stop smoking and relieve stress depression. Went off of the drug because it "totally whacked him out"

My ex started this drug about 4 weeks ago...... huge change. Stop smoking was the reason for the drug. I see such a difference in personality, tranquilized, still smoking like a chimney. Still watching this one unfold, I will admit it is much easier to deal with this person now.

I am not saying you should not take a prescription if you need it. I just wondering if other people have had similar effects. I actually toyed with the idea to help me stop smoking....... NO WAY would I do so now.

a4a

Meds affect everyone differently. Those three may have had difficulties; others do great. You can't know how a med will affect you until you try it and if you don't like it, you can quit taking it. Just be sure you have a skilled practitioner watching over your case.

My ex GF went COMPLETELY off her Zoloft and now she is barely functioning at all. She's pretty numb right now to practically everything, I've never seen her like this. She weaned herself off of them and I think it was not a good thing to do....she really needs something different.

I was on Serzone for a couple of years, then it quit working and I went on Welbutrin, which was much kinder to me...and as my depression lifted, I was able to go off of that one, with great success.

Medication for depression is strictly a hit-or-miss process....REMEMBER THAT!

Yes for depression but to quit smoking? That is kinda scarey to think so many are so easily prescribed medication that has such serious affects on them.

a4a

I've taken lexapro for a month and feel better, but I think it was kind of knee jerk to go on it bc my counselor recommended it at the first meeting. No side effects.

Heavenlyflower9

I was on Zoloft for 6 months. Never had a decrease in remorse or sympathy. It really helped me feel more relaxed and calm, to deal with my problems. IC definitely helped too. I was'nt so stressed, tense and so tired anymore. Once my situation was better I slowly weaned off of it. Now i'm completely done with it and I feel good. Alot happier now than I was back then too. But, it's different with everyone. I agree with the others and maybe you should get a second opinion plus see a psychiatrist. Good luck!

Heaven