Bringing in 'outside' food to restaurants

JayKay

• Author

My mom was the same way, Manders. SHe never made four different plates for me and my siblings. You ate what she made and that was that.

And if you didn't eat dinner, there was no snacking afterwards.

I remember going to a friend's house one evening and her mom different things for her and her two brothers. One got a tuna fish sandwich and a lettuce salad with carrots and french dressing. One got mac & cheese with a lettuce and tomato salad, no dressing. My friend had a tiny mound of mac & cheese and 3 microwaved White Castle burgers and a little bit of lettuce with crumbled egg and ranch dressing.

And they all sat there, watching mom prepare all this!

I remember exactly what they all ate, even though it was years ago.... because I couldn't BELIEVE it. There mom was no better than a short-order cook! And the two brothes were such whiners! "Mom....there's not enough dressing in the bottle! Mom, I need ketchup!"

My mom would have been like, "SO get your butt up off the chair and go to the fridge and get it yourself!"

LOL, Jay my parents were "You ate what was cooked" type also. I for the most part am the same way.

But.........

My dd drives my mom nuts. My dd has reflux. She often cannot eat what I have cooked. Or she will be able to eat a small amount, put it up and eat more in 30-45 minutes latter. MOM keeps on telling us to just make her eat she will get over it.........My dh lived with that. He has the same reflux issue. He is picky as all get out. My dd isn't, as long as she isn't having a reflux attack. I think that is because I was much more respectful to the situation and didn't panic when she couldn't eat and allowed some flexiblity. I can leave speghetti sauce (reflux trigger) off of noodles and let her have a large salad instead.

Host should take in account of dietary needs like religion, medical conditions, and vegetarian. Guest shouldn't make unreasonable demand on host either.

Two things parents need to learn 1. Panicky parents make picky kids. 2. Pickiness can be a sign of allergies.

• Author

Yes some kids ARE highly allergic (i.e. peanuts, eggs, wheat, etc)

However, it's one thing to cater to a child with allergies. It's another to cater to just plain old pickiness.

My mom's BF has a bunch of 'self diagnosed' allergies. When I first met him he said he couldn't eat cheese, tomatoes, chocolate or wheat.

Then about a month down the line, I caught him eating pizza. He said, "Well, I'm OK if I just eat it once in a while"

Now he's been with my mom for over 6 years and I've seen him eat chocolate cheesecake, bread sticks, pizza, pasta....HELLO!

I used to always make a 'special' dish for him when they came over. No more!!!!

Just because of my dh and dd reflux I would wonder if he had reflux with what he was saying he is allergic to. LOL>>>>Knee Jerk reaction.

FYI some people do crave foods they are allergic to. It is called the Allergy Paradox.

I do agree with you about catering to pickiness. I just know from personal experience there might be a reason for the pickiness other than panicky parents.

clandestinidad

My daughter is allergic to nearly everything (soy, rice, nuts, dairy, etc etc) so I have to bring food for her wherever we go. I make her own chicken and veggies and bring it. You'd be suprised how many foods (at every restaurant and grocery store) have her offensive ingredients....I'd rather be rude than have a vomiting, swollen, suffocating, bloody diarrhea ridden little girl!! haha

And no, I'm not a PANICKY parent...I'm cautious. She nearly died at 2 months old when she couldnt even drink breastmilk...thank god for Neocate elemental supplement. And thank god that she can eat at least a few things!!!

I heard on an NPR spot that many food alergies spontaneously disappear as kids grow older, so keep getting her tested over the years.

• Author

Yes Kat, I hope she outgrows at least some of her allergies.

I am not insensitive to REAL allergies. I've seen people have anaphalactic (sp?) reactions to shellfish, kiwi fruit and other things and it is NO joke.

I just get impatient with 'self diagnosed' allergies and/or manipulative ploys for attention. You either ARE allergic to something or you're not!!!

clandestinidad

i agree.....way too many people confuse a food INTOLERANCE with food ALLERGY!! It makes things really frustrating for those who really are allergic. (esp. when the childs father doesnt get it after 2 1/2 years)

• Author

Oh, I know Otter...I waitressed for years.

See some of my earlier horror tales in this thread!!!!

Some people equate waitress with 'slave' and show absolutely no manners or class when eating out.