Is empathy unachievable?

OK, Apex and Touche, I know you both from before and we've had these political debates previously. Not continuing them on this thread.

I've never had a political debate on here before so I have no idea why you said you "know" me from before.

You don't have to continue the debate though. I certainly wouldn't blame you if you didn't.

• Author
yes, unless we find a cure for modern living. such as regular meditation,

That would help some people. Others have deeper issues. And it won't repair people with serious disorders; and often those people achieve positions where they can cause a great deal of stress and trouble to others.

And remember Maslow. Meditation and the like are luxuries that people who are well-fed and housed and safe physically can afford. So you need to implement the social solutions that will meet people's basic needs before you can ask them to sit and meditate often.

• Author
actually outcast i often wonder whether those who are forced to always be in the present moment, by circumstance, are more at peace.

Not if the circumstance involves hunger or illness or need for money or fear or any of a number of other options. The people who are more at peace, I gather, are those who have little and want little. People I know who have lived in Africa love the pace of life, the people, and the atmosphere. Obviously that's not true of the famine-ridden places or those undergoing political strife, but otherwise, there is more emphasis on people, family, and relationships than there is on work, achievement, and acquisition and that makes for a more pleasant society.