Am I setting myself up for failure with my new lifestyle?

Alpacalia
7 hours ago, nc87whf said:

Thank you - I agree very much to this approach. I have found 1-2 places that I love the most already and am planning to mostly be in those places while taking shorter trips elsewhere. I am setting a home base this year so I can be there longer. I agree that meeting people in the home base or the other locations I spend longer period of time in who have a similar remote work arrangement as myself could make it work better. 

You're welcome. You have to find a place that you love and that also has a good community of people who share your interests and values. This will increase your chances of finding a compatible partner. Also, be open to meeting people outside of the digital nomad community. There are many people who work remotely and travel on their own or with a partner but may not identify as digital nomads. Expanding your social circle to include those who are location flexible and have a similar lifestyle can increase your options. 

I have a very good friend from Sweden and she travels 10 months a year, possibly MORE. She loves traveling  because that's when she's happiest (during or after short trips) and fits in in such a wonderful way! She's also very fluent in many, many languages including Spanish, Hungarian, Romanic, Mandarin etc.  

But she's also not really the settle down kind so her relationships tend to be quick or not a typical long term relationship that I can observe from the outside. Although since she loves traveling she doesn't see anything wrong with her perpetual itinerary. Her male friends are the same way except that some of them make commitments to travel but that's as long term as it gets usually.

Some people are more suited for a nomadic lifestyle than others, and that's perfectly fine. The most important thing is to find what makes you happy and fulfilled and not worry about what others may think or expect from you. It sounds like you have found that with your current lifestyle and that is something to be celebrated. There may be challenges when it comes to finding a long-term partner who shares the same values and is also location flexible, but it is not impossible.

Edited by Alpacalia
8 hours ago, nc87whf said:

- I love having a home base for half of the year and spend the other half experiencing a new locale. 

If you have a stable address with friends and family that you live with most of the time, that makes things  a lot easier as far as working remotely for several months at a time traveling. However it probably will still be difficult to find anyone unless you want casual and short term while you're passing through.