I have one true friend in HS

RandallHare

HS started with a bang. Immediately, I was the cool, bright kid everyone called "Einstein." But I didn't shine in academics alone, I was also popular with girls. I joined a pageant where I was hailed "Mr Photogenic" and "Mr Winsome Smile."

All these things add up to the fact that I was the son of the mayor.

Things changed around 9/11/01. For weird reasons.

Family problems here and there. Toxic class schedules. Internet addiction. All those stuff.

The cute kid with a cute smile whose brilliance won many people over became the weird nerd nobody wants to talk to.

Towards the end of my HS, I've lost friends here and there.

Until I only have one friend left we will all just call "France."

France remained a friend of mine up to now. He's not a nerd. He's just a goofball who has the reputation of being chill, casual. Someone you would laugh with but not have serious conversations with.

He's always there to respond to my messages. And he never fails to give me a smile.

Even though HS was terrible for me, I am glad I had one friend who is still friends with me up to now. A true friend I could always count on, who is never serious, who is always casual, and who is always funny. 

His name is "France."

• Like 1

People move on from highschool and grow in different directions, but having a few friends from each phase in life is normal, such as university alumni, coworkers, neighbors, etc etc. 

Try not to live in the past. The so-called "Glory Days".  Make new friends and acquaintances as you walk through life and please don't stay stuck in "Mr whatever" highschool titles.  Be who you are now. 

Edited by Wiseman2
Alpacalia

OP I am still friends with people from high school as well as childhood. I think sometimes it's better to have a few close connections versus a large group of acquaintances. Value your friendship with France, true friends are hard to find.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Wiseman2 said:

People move on from highschool and grow in different directions,

This is the way it should be alright, (in an ideal world)

It struck me though - perhaps when life does'nt entirely go to script as it were- then it is hard not to yearn for, well not specifically school days- but as you also allude "glory days",

I suppose try to make more glory days ahead is the antidote.

• Author
RandallHare
8 hours ago, Alpacalia said:

Does France know about your feelings and frustrations?

Im scared to tell him. He’s just the chill and casual guy whom I’ve never had a serious conversation with.

If he's always there to respond to your messages and  never fails to give you a smile, that's terrific. Nothing wrong with having a pal to hang around with. You don't need deep conversations in order to have friends. Enjoy his company, why not? 

• Like 1

What? This was 23 years ago when you were in high school? You’re in your early 40s now and so is France? Not sure what is the problem?  Is France busy? Would you like to make other friends? 

ShyViolet

So high school was over 20 years ago?  Why are you still thinking about it this much?  How is your social life now overall?

• Author
RandallHare
On 2/16/2024 at 11:52 AM, glows said:

What? This was 23 years ago when you were in high school? You’re in your early 40s now and so is France? Not sure what is the problem?  Is France busy? Would you like to make other friends? 

France and I are both 36 now. We graduated 20 years ago. There's no problem at all. I just wanted to post this thread as an appreciation to my friendship with France. :) Yes, I'm always open to making new friends. :)

• Author
RandallHare
18 hours ago, ShyViolet said:

So high school was over 20 years ago?  Why are you still thinking about it this much?  How is your social life now overall?

My social life is okay, just a little turbulent last year, so I appreciate my remaining friends even more :) such as France.