My bf said he's going to sleep to avoid doing something I want to do

Cecefefe22

Cecefefe22

Well let me give you the whole situation cause I got the time right.

Before love island even started (early jan) I asked if he would watch it with me, he said yes.

I couldn’t watch as I was in Colombia and wanted to watch when I had consistent wifi again.

I told him i’d watch and catch up then when I do we can watch.

Sunday was a really good episode and that was 2 days ago so I thought waiting to watch that one would t be so bad. So I asked yesterday if he’d want to watch an episode with me today. He said yeah.

So when I got home and called him at 7:06 pm prob spent 30 minutes before him asking me if I wanted to watch tiktok’s with him. I then asked are you going to sleep and he said not yet so I asked what happened to watching the Love Island episode? He then goes oh well it’s kinda late I would watch tiktok’s to then go to sleep (he went to sleep just now…it’s 10pm) but i asked him what do you want to do and he goes no you tell me “cause one of these options are going to make you mad” n e ways I was like okay cool don’t have to watch (knowing he wouldn’t be going to sleep anytime soon and he clearly is uninterested) I then started watching something on netflix and he asks again if i want to watch tiktok’s with him and i say sure if it’s only for 30 minutes and that he is sleeping after (cause that’s what he claimed he was gonna do right)

After the 30 minutes, i said yeah well that’s done now better go sleep … hear him i thought you said you wasn’t going to be mad i said no im not but just do what you said you were gonna do .

He proceeds to go on twitter, and does all kinds of things to then go to sleep 2 hours later…when an episode of love island could of take up the first hour of the 3 since we’d been in the phone and he could have done whatever he was gonna

Long story short i watch the love island after watching the tiktok’s with him.

Am I wrong for being upset?

Idk i just think that if i ask you to do something and you’re not interested why would that make me want to do it with you? and it just feels like im forcing you to do it? kinda make me not want to share the things that i do? or am interested in? Am i wrong for thinking like this?

But yet when he wants me to watch tiktok’s with him i do…

NuevoYorko

Oh come on, this is what we call "borrowing trouble."  He probably didn't feel like watching "Love Island," whatever that is.  I don't feel like watching it either.

• Like 1

Your writing is a little hard to follow, so please clarify if I've misunderstood anything.

I suspect your boyfriend is young and still learning to say "no", so he dodges around requests instead of being blunt.   If he had said that he didn't want to watch that episode of Love Island you first asked him, would you have accepted that?   What if he said that he'd rather stick pins in his eyes than watch any reality TV?  Could you accept that without getting mad?  If so, tell him that it's OK to be honest so that you know not to wait around for him and you promise to respect his decision.

Also, you don't have to watch an hour of TikToks with him if you don't want to either.  Just say No.  Or you may choose to watch it to make him happy, but that doesn't mean that he has to do the same in return.  

• Like 2

OP,  you don't have to like watching the same things to be together. Since your boyfriend seems not to have the capacity to say "No," just refrain from asking him to do this kind of thing in the future. Watch what you want to when you want to, and let him watch what he wants to when he wants to.

d0nnivain

I would kind of assume that he just didn't want to watch that program.  I honestly don't see many men thinking it's a good show.  

Alpacalia

So next time don't invite him to watch the episode with you. Just watch it on your own and save him the stress of faking enjoyable time with you.

• Like 1

That would not make me upset. When he asked if you wanted to watch tiktok with him you could have answered no, thanks I will watch Love Island while you do that. 

• Like 2

Jesus, I wouldn't be sticking around for love island either haha.

In terms of just passing the time watching rubbish TV shows, I think he's allowed to opt out and leave you to it if he wants to.

• Like 1

I think you are wrong for expecting your boyfriend to watch love island with you. My boyfriend would laugh in my face if I asked him to do that. 

Edited by BaileyB
  • Like 1
Alpacalia

Join the large crowd of viewers, but is the show truly that outstanding? I'm a bit addicted to Hells Kitchen, not sure why.😂

introverted1

Here's a thought:  you let him off the hook for watching Love Island and, in turn, he lets you off the hook for watching any TikToks you are not interested in.  Win, win.

On 2/6/2024 at 10:47 PM, Cecefefe22 said:

But yet when he wants me to watch tiktok’s with him i do…

Please maintain your own interests, hobbies, friends and autonomy. It's great to have shared interests and hobbies. However it's far more important to retain your own interests, hobbies tastes and friends. 

Watch your favorite TV shows with like-minded friends and family and let him watch his favorite videos with like-minded people.

It fine to share interests but being joined together in unison like this is like you're on a chain gang in prison. Be confident accepting individuals who share but maintain their own identities. 

I think I agree with you in part, its the principal of agreeing to do something and then backing out without a solid reason, typically this leads to disappointment which I sense is the emotion you are currently feeling. However, its important to realise he is also his own person with his own interests and these differences are healthy, think about it this way, you cannot both do the same things together all of the time because ultimately people generally do not react well to constant company all of the time.

He has his own interests, let him keep those, like you keep those. My view a relationship is like a partnership it does not mean you are identical in every single interest and hobby.

Edited by ZA Dater
ExpatInItaly
On 2/7/2024 at 4:47 AM, Cecefefe22 said:

Am I wrong for being upset?

It is an awfully petty thing to be upset over, yes. 

Learn to choose your battles. 

• Thanks 1