Wife sending random men money

So I received a document in the mail that appeared to be a car loan rejection letter for a dealership in another state. It had my wife and another man's name as the person applying for the loan. Today my wife left her computer unlocked and I saw in her email confirmation messages of her sending what appeared to be at least five different men money using venmo, cash app, etc. They appeared to be over a span of several months. I contacted several men using social media and they told me she has been sending them money. Two of them also stated that she sent them her social security number for the purpose of the car loans. When I asked them why she is sending them money, they blocked me.

For the record, she has never met these men. She somehow met them over social media. I also sometimes see her phone ring with out of state numbers. When I asked her about this last week, she states that they are just friends and denies sending them any money. Well, that is a lie because the proof is right there. Considering the fact that she never pays any bills because she always claims to be broke, I see why she is broke. 

I have several questions about this. First question is does it sound like she's doing anything illegal that could get her jail time? Second question is how do I put a stop to this?  

I don't believe that this would hold up legally as grounds for divorce, but I could be wrong. What are my legal options with this?

56 minutes ago, t3chlyfe said:

I don't believe that this would hold up legally as grounds for divorce, but I could be wrong. What are my legal options with this?

Please contact law enforcement in your jurisdiction and report scamming. Not your wife but whoever these scammers are.  You'll have to supply authorities with your devices and financial statements for the investigation. As you know identify theft is unfortunately a common crime. Please research and report it . 

• Like 1

Looks like your wife is having online emotional affairs and these scammers are getting money out of her. 

I don't know where you live but I thought having ground to divorce isn't a thing anymore. You divorce because you want to divorce, period. 

• Like 2
mark clemson

This sounds exceedingly sketchy and if it was me I strongly believe I would insist that it stop 100% and permanently.

If it didn't, for myself I would be considering divorce, as I don't want to be stuck paying off multiple shady characters' car loans. Also, if your wife is the kind of person who is vulnerable to this sort of thing, who knows what else these people are capable of manipulating her into doing.

IF you decide to divorce, only a lawyer in your jurisdiction will be able to advise you on what "requirements" there may or may not be to end the marriage.

Just a guess based on how scammers work, but your wife has possibly done something silly while interacting with men online, and they may be blackmailing her. It's quite a common "romance scam", where the person gets lured into an online relationship and the scammer videos the victim engaging in cyber sex, and the scammer then threatens to send the videos to the victim's friends/family/work colleagues. On the other hand she may just be a sneaky and incredibly foolish woman sending money to scumbags. Either way I'd haul her over the coals and demand an explanation, and then I'd be off to the divorce lawyer, because whatever she's been up to you now know she's a financial liability and you can't trust her. 

• Like 2
stillafool

God only knows why your wife is paying these men but it must be something serious for her to hand over her social security number and her/your money.  Make her take a lie detector test.

5 hours ago, t3chlyfe said:

. Two of them also stated that she sent them her social security number for the purpose of the car loans. When I asked them why she is sending them money, they blocked me.

does it sound like she's doing anything illegal that could get her jail time? 

These scammers admitted that your wife gave them her social security number?  Why would she be applying for car loans? Do you want her in jail? Unfortunately your story really doesn't add up. 

d0nnivain
19 hours ago, t3chlyfe said:

I have several questions about this. First question is does it sound like she's doing anything illegal that could get her jail time? Second question is how do I put a stop to this?  

No it doesn't sound like she's doing anything illegal but it could be a joint scam where she & these men get the cars then don't pay for them.  We don't know 

You can't put a stop to her behavior.  All you can do is disconnect your finances from hers.  Close ALL joint accounts you have. 

In most states in the US the only legal grounds you need for divorce are "irreconcilable differences" which can be anything from you stole my money, to you were unfaithful, to I don't love you any more.  So yes, this financial infidelity is absolutely grounds for divorce at least in the US

1 hour ago, d0nnivain said:

You can't put a stop to her behavior.  All you can do is disconnect your finances from hers. 

This - I would take every action possible to protect myself legally and financially. I think you need to consult a lawyer. Hopefully the lawyer can advise your next steps - ie. dealing with the bank and possibly contacting law enforcement. 

Edited by BaileyB

Now that we've covered the money part, there is the wife part. If this is out of character for her than she may be in need of psychological help. There is a chance she is  being blackmailed, she needs help. 

• Like 2