Just started texting with a new person and something interesting happened.

I just exchanged numbers with a new person and we exchanged a few messages. After a few exchanges she said a different name was popping up on her phone than what I said my name was on Match.

The name is actually my mom and likely the the reason it says her name is because we are on the same phone plan. I told her that and she is still sending me messages as I am typing this so must not be that big of a deal for her. But it did surprise me when I said that. I exchange numbers and talk to lots of different people and she is the first person that has ever mentioned anything about that. Is it possible that that name is appearing in front of lots of people or is she likely using a special app to find my mom's name. I don't really want these people to find out what my mom's name is nor do I want them to find out what my last name is prior to me telling them.

Again it surprised me because she is the first person that has ever said anything about that. On my end it only lists the digits that the text is coming from if I haven't assigned a name to it yet. Do the newest phones automatically send the carrier of that number to the person receiving the calls/texts?

• Author

One I am currently talking to just agreed to meet so I'm not worried about that situation but I definitely don't want any of my family members names appearing on their phones. My mom and I have different numbers but it's just underneath the same phone plan so that is likely how she found my mom's name.

Some of these gals and I get a little obnoxious from time to time and don't want my mom's name to be a part of that.

23 minutes ago, Sony12 said:

The name is actually my mom and likely the the reason it says her name is because we are on the same phone plan find out what my last name is prior to me telling them.

That's interesting. Check your phone settings and with your mobile provider. There must be ways to protect your privacy. 

I would call your phone provider and have that fixed. My daughter is on my phone account and even when she was a minor it was her number showing. I think it's a glitch at your phone provider.

• Author
8 minutes ago, Gaeta said:

I would call your phone provider and have that fixed. My daughter is on my phone account and even when she was a minor it was her number showing. I think it's a glitch at your phone provider.

Ok I'll do that. It just really surprised me when she said that because I have had this number for over a decade now and am regularly using this number to talk to people I meet off of dating apps and this is the first time any of them have ever mentioned that. I would think that if my mom's name was appearing on a lot of these gals phones I would have been made aware of it before now.

Edited by Sony12
Alpacalia

Call your phone company.

Receiving a call from a man she hardly knows with a woman's real name might make some women feel uncomfortable. Get it sorted.

Edited by Alpacalia
  • Author
12 minutes ago, Alpacalia said:

Call your phone company.

Receiving a call from a man she hardly knows with a woman's real name might make some women feel uncomfortable. Get it sorted.

Yeah I'm going to. And while that's true I'm not as concerned about what they think. More a long the lines that these people have no business knowing what my family members names are. Some of the conversations and meet ups I have aren't simple call to plan a meet and then get a coffee. Sometimes there is some nonsense that goes on and those people don't need to be made aware of my families names.

Alpacalia
17 minutes ago, Sony12 said:

Yeah I'm going to. And while that's true I'm not as concerned about what they think. More a long the lines that these people have no business knowing what my family members names are. Some of the conversations and meet ups I have aren't simple call to plan a meet and then get a coffee. Sometimes there is some nonsense that goes on and those people don't need to be made aware of my families names.

Absolutely, tell the phone company right away. Normally I would suggest not to give your personal phone number to people you hardly know from dating apps but it sounds like you're transmitting more private info that just a phone number. So yes, the phone company should be able to rectify the issue.

Edited by Alpacalia
43 minutes ago, Sony12 said:

people have no business knowing what my family members names are. 

Who is the administrator of the plan? In addition to contacting your phone provider, you may have to check your phone settings and your mother's phone settings and account settings.

If she is the administrator of the plan she may have inadvertently changed or reset or updated something, especially if this is a new thing. 

• Author
2 hours ago, Alpacalia said:

Absolutely, tell the phone company right away. Normally I would suggest not to give your personal phone number to people you hardly know from dating apps but it sounds like you're transmitting more private info that just a phone number. So yes, the phone company should be able to rectify the issue.

Yes. Not pictures as most people are pretty protective of that stuff these days as they know how easily those things can get on the internet. But there are women on these dating sites that enjoy using them for some of the same reasons men would call a 1-800 number. 

They enjoy talking to younger attractive men. Several of the women I am currently talking to aren't that much younger than my parents.

BreakOnThrough

Download Textnow and use that app to communicate with people initially.  They won't know the difference (you can get a free # in your area code) and you can protect yourself until you meet and vet them.  I learned the hard way, had someone show up at my door, never gave them my address, looked it all up from the phone # itself.

Edited by BreakOnThrough
  • Author
1 hour ago, BreakOnThrough said:

Download Textnow and use that app to communicate with people initially.  They won't know the difference (you can get a free # in your area code) and you can protect yourself until you meet and vet them.  I learned the hard way, had someone show up at my door, never gave them my address, looked it all up from the phone # itself.

Just looked that app up and it definitely looks good. What limitations does it have? Are you able to talk to people long distance? Are there limitations to how long calls can be as sometimes we talk for hours. 

Alpacalia
2 hours ago, Sony12 said:

Yes. Not pictures as most people are pretty protective of that stuff these days as they know how easily those things can get on the internet. But there are women on these dating sites that enjoy using them for some of the same reasons men would call a 1-800 number. 

They enjoy talking to younger attractive men. Several of the women I am currently talking to aren't that much younger than my parents.

Well pictures are usually readily available online as people have social media presences and especially if they are on dating apps but I am assuming you mean any private pictures shared between 2 people...There are always going to be people who like that sort of thing. Maybe not as many as there would be on sites specifically aimed at that sort of thing.

• Author
9 minutes ago, Alpacalia said:

Well pictures are usually readily available online as people have social media presences and especially if they are on dating apps but I am assuming you mean any private pictures shared between 2 people...There are always going to be people who like that sort of thing. Maybe not as many as there would be on sites specifically aimed at that sort of thing.

Yeah it's just Match I am using. I'm not using one of those 'cougar'' sites or a site specifically aimed at these types of interactions. Most of those sites don't have near the number of people on them as the popular apps do and the spamming is far worse than it is on a site like Match.

I have found that it's a bit of a mixed bag regarding those types of pics on sites like Match and many of the women who get a thrill of having a guy like me charm them and who will talk dirty to them on occasion don't always want to see revealing images of that guy until they choose to meet him in person. 

I did have underwear pics on my old phone that I would send out to women who seemed really into the whole fantasy but didn't make too much of a habit of doing it because it can be a quick turn off to many of them.

Alpacalia
15 minutes ago, Sony12 said:

Yeah it's just Match I am using. I'm not using one of those 'cougar'' sites or a site specifically aimed at these types of interactions. Most of those sites don't have near the number of people on them as the popular apps do and the spamming is far worse than it is on a site like Match.

I have found that it's a bit of a mixed bag regarding those types of pics on sites like Match and many of the women who get a thrill of having a guy like me charm them and who will talk dirty to them on occasion don't always want to see revealing images of that guy until they choose to meet him in person. 

I did have underwear pics on my old phone that I would send out to women who seemed really into the whole fantasy but didn't make too much of a habit of doing it because it can be a quick turn off to many of them.

It's not just Tinder then, eh?

Make sure to get your phone thing sorted, I'm sure you don't want her (your Mom) getting inadvertently barraged with texts. I would also wonder if this woman is using a special app or software to find out your mom's name or other personal information. It's odd that this is the first person to mention it.

Edited by Alpacalia
  • Author
14 minutes ago, Alpacalia said:

It's not just Tinder then, eh?

Make sure to get your phone thing sorted, I'm sure you don't want her (your Mom) getting inadvertently barraged with texts. I would also wonder if this woman is using a special app or software to find out your mom's name or other personal information. It's odd that this is the first person to mention it.

Nope that type of behavior is pretty universal in dating apps in general these days no matter what the service is. Many of the women who get into that have stopped finding men their own age attractive. So they use the apps to talk to men they do find attractive (which at times turns out to be men the same age and at times even younger than their own children).

I have wondered rather she was using a special software but she definitely did see that name because she would have had no way of knowing what my mom's name was or what my last name was unless it was there in front of her.

others partially mentioned this but maybe not directly...it may not be any big secret, it could be as simple as this person searched your phone number and got the information.  you'd be surprised at how much information is freely available just searching online.  

Alpacalia
9 minutes ago, Sony12 said:

Nope that type of behavior is pretty universal in dating apps in general these days no matter what the service is. Many of the women who get into that have stopped finding men their own age attractive. So they use the apps to talk to men they do find attractive (which at times turns out to be men the same age and at times even younger than their own children).

I have wondered rather she was using a special software but she definitely did see that name because she would have had no way of knowing what my mom's name was or what my last name was unless it was there in front of her.

I figured as much. Seems like you've carved out a nice little niche for yourself there. Tech has been a major assistance in more ways than one. It didn't even take that long compared to, say, five years ago. Being selective on which app/site you choose has played a factor. And what's more...it doesn't matter if it's free or costs money. The people you meet is worth the hassle or it isn't. You never know. One never knows these days. Some people are coming out of marriages or relationship because they wanted more sex or experiment… and some are coming out because they're ready to settle. It always varies.

1 hour ago, Sony12 said:

Just looked that app up and it definitely looks good. What limitations does it have? Are you able to talk to people long distance? 

There are tons of messaging apps from those in your phone to others with varying degrees of encryption, like Whatsapp to others that can protect your privacy. Yes there's a lot of information that can be gleaned from your real phone number.

However it doesn't really matter to who you're contacting, their age or what types of pics you send, because the issue is you don't want them to be able to track this much. Have you asked your mother if she made changes to the plan or her phone? 

• Author
12 minutes ago, Wiseman2 said:

There are tons of messaging apps from those in your phone to others with varying degrees of encryption, like Whatsapp to others that can protect your privacy. Yes there's a lot of information that can be gleaned from your real phone number.

However it doesn't really matter to who you're contacting, their age or what types of pics you send, because the issue is you don't want them to be able to track this much. Have you asked your mother if she made changes to the plan or her phone? 

I'll look into it. I'll be calling the phone service later today and will see my folks in the next couple days and will ask if any changes were made to the service.

I will definitely get one of those text apps. There are a couple other ladies that I am talking to through the regular number but from this point when I exchange numbers I will give them a number from the app.

• Author

Just called my service provider and they said that if people have the same provider as I do than the name of the carrier will be shown so I need to go into the app and edit the lines. So I will get that taken care of. 

If only people who have the same provider is able to see the name of that could explain why none of them have mentioned it. Also possible I guess that some of these ladies have seen it and just not cared or it's possible that the ones where the communication didn't last long were the ones that saw it.

Who knows but I'll get it to taken care of.

Alpacalia

Why don't you just get your own phone plan? Seems a lot simpler, no?

• Author
9 minutes ago, Alpacalia said:

Why don't you just get your own phone plan? Seems a lot simpler, no?

Probably should. My folks are pretty well to do and they do stuff for all us kids and that was one of the things they offered me. Definitely can afford my own though  so if it potentially would be a bit of a hassle for us being on the same line probably better that I do get my own.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Sony12 said:

Just called my service provider and they said that if people have the same provider as I do than the name of the carrier will be shown so I need to go into the app and edit the lines. So I will get that taken care of. 

It did cross my mind it was because you had the same provider. I am glad it's fixable!

Alpacalia
15 hours ago, Sony12 said:

Probably should. My folks are pretty well to do and they do stuff for all us kids and that was one of the things they offered me. Definitely can afford my own though  so if it potentially would be a bit of a hassle for us being on the same line probably better that I do get my own.

Yeah, my Dad would do same with certain things. Not because he's well off but he's a great father that way. 

Glad you got it sorted!