Is my ex guilty? Did she cheat on me?

Ok so I ended my four year relationship with my ex a few months back but I wanted to know people’s opinions on one particular issue. What does everyone think about this story I am about to tell you.

My ex is an extrovert, confident, personable and sociable with everyone especially men. She’s also an alcoholic. During our time together she would often visit a pub in her local area.

The pub is ran by an old man named Charlie, who’s married and is in his seventies. She met him a year into our relationship through her sales job. 

One day she was took me to his pub to meet him. I met him, he seemed ok but there were things I noticed about their dynamic that made me suspicious.
Firstly, she went into his office for almost thirty minutes, I had no idea what they were doing but when she came out she just said they were talking - “business.” My ex is somewhat of a wheeler dealer. She would tell me that she and Charlie would often work on secondhand cars to sell for profit.

Case in point, the day I met him, we were at a garage next to the pub as she was inspecting a car that he wanted her to work on. End of the night as we were leaving, she was saying her goodbyes to Charlie, she was very drunk at this point, having regurgitated a few hours prior. 

I noticed she grabbed hold of his arm tightly as they were walking. Initially I brushed it off as just a friendly gesture. The type of gesture you would express to a close friend or relative.

Two months later, i asked her if she had seen Charlie recently and she told me no because apparently he had sent her a lewd text message. She claims he sent her an explicit message which made her feel uncomfortable therefore she cut ties with him. I found this insanely odd and I told her it’s due to her flirtatious nature with him when she’s drunk, she may have given off the wrong signals, especially the night I met him, when she hugged him tightly.

A few months later she tells me she she’s been visiting the pub.  She obviously forgot about the text to which I reminded her and this caught her off guard. She denied receiving any message from him instead she tells me it was sent by accident. Apparently someone else got hold of his phone and sent her that message. Again I was suspicious but I brushed it off and forgot about it. Long story short we split a few months later for very different reasons.

Plot twist:

One day I bump into two of the barmaids who work for Charlie, they informed me that my ex was always going into Charlie’s office every time she visited therefore what I witnessed, wasn’t the first time. The ladies also told me that my ex would often receive free drinks but only after every meeting they had in his office and in that order. So for over three years she was going into his office and every time he would give her free alcohol. Eventually I confronted my ex about this matter. Naturally she was defensive, claiming they were just friends and that they were just doing - “business” in his office however she would never clarify what type of business. She then tells me that there were times she was alone with him  after business hours. She claimed she would sometimes stay with him to ensure he would drop her back home safely.

She then tells me that one time he gave her extra free drinks with shots and cornered her in his office. He made advances to her but she resisted him. When I asked her why he was always giving her free drinks her reply was - “because he hoping to get somewhere.” At the end of the conversation I was left miserable, confused and insulted. Furthermore she would also say this and I quote - “and even if I did have sex with Charlie, I wouldn’t tell you.”

The two barmaids had also informed me that my ex began dating other men from the pub and one particular night, she literally seduced Charlie at the bar whilst her date for the evening looked away with shame. They told me she flirted with him and told him she wanted to go home with him but ironically she got off with the DJ that night instead abandoning her date and Charlie in the process LMFAO!

I’ve met Charlie three times and every time he was very awkward with me. Never smiled, or cracked a joke, he wouldn’t even talk to me, in fact he seemed envious/jealous of my relationship with my ex. He just gave off this awkward energy every time I met him. The last time i saw him (after the split) he had the nerve to ask me why we split to which he asked - “too much sex?”

Anyway what do you guys think? Clearly somethings not right, something doesn’t add up. Unfortunately I will never know the truth, it will always remain ambiguous, controversial. 

I’m happier without her now but it still takes the biscuit.

The irony is during the years that we were together, I’d always get suspicious about her affiliations with other men but the one man I never considered a threat, might have been the biggest threat of them all…

Have any of you experienced something similar? Can any of you relate and what do you guys think? I appreciate the feedback.

Sorry this happened. There were enough reasons to end things due to the alcoholism and unreasonable behavior.

It's possible she was performing sexual favors for free drinks, but that's almost secondary to the major alcohol problems and troubling overall behavior. 

d0nnivain

It does sound like something "personal" was going on & the "business" in the office was more in line with the oldest profession in the world than wheeling & dealing around restoring old cars.   They could have had most business conversations in a quiet corner of the bar. 

Her getting mad about the lewd text was probably Charlie crossing a line from sex to something more crass.  

All in all this lush is out of your life.  Leave her there & move forward toward better things for yourself.