Going on a networking date with someone of opposite gender?

If someone wanted to grab coffee with someone for a one time thing to discuss and network with someone of the opposite gender, is it appropriate?  That person someone is networking with could be someone’s wife / husband / boyfriend / girlfriend.  

Weezy1973

Sure it’s fine. It’s for networking, not a date as has already been established.

15 minutes ago, Dude26 said:

15 minutes ago, Dude26 said:

If someone wanted to grab coffee with someone for a one time thing to discuss and network with someone of the opposite gender, is it appropriate?    

If it is for networking, it seems more like a meeting not a "date". 

d0nnivain

Why wouldn't it be?  You are there to talk business so talk business.  Keep to a well lit place & don't send mixed messages.  The business world is a diverse place.  If you can't do business with the opposite sex you will not get very far in this world.  

Depends. 

What would you find acceptable if it were your girlfriend looking to network? 

If someone was looking to have a coffee, one on one,  with my bf to 'network' I would say it's ok on week days and before 19h. If it's a group thing then anytime is ok. 

• 3 weeks later...
ShyViolet

Why wouldn't it be?  Anyone who thinks this is not "appropriate" has massive insecurity issues that they need to work on.  This is like saying it's not "appropriate" for men and women to be co-workers or interact on a professional level.  And it's not a "date" so for starters I wouldn't call it that.

• Like 1

I'm not sure what the alternative is. Man-only and woman-only workplaces? And those of us working in professions dominated by the opposite gender are kinda screwed, aren't we?

I'm actually rather concerned that this question is even being asked. 😕 Unless there's something HUGE not being disclosed (like the other person is an ex and there are other signs they're not over them), any reasonable person would be fine with this.

• Like 1