My younger brother's getting married and I will be the best man!

RandallHare

RandallHare

I couldn't wait to post it, I'm so excited but I don't really understand!

I was just told a while ago that I will be the best man. Oh great! This will be my first time so I'm both excited and nervous as well!

What are the things I need to consider and what are the things I need to avoid? This is my first so I'm nervous! O_O

Awesome!   You will need to consider writing a good speech.  Avoid getting drunk at the wedding and keep the groom out of trouble on his bucks night

Most importantly, enjoy yourself!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Author
RandallHare

My brother and I are not really the best of friends. People around us have compared the two of us in so many ways. But I'm extremely happy that this is happening, and I couldn't be more honored than to be his best man on his most awaited, most beautiful day of his life. 

I want him to have a bright future, a happy family, loving kids, and of course, a happy and wonderful sex life (with his wife of course)!

I'm just practicing! 😅

• Like 1

Best to leave the sex life comment out of your speech 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, basil67 said:

Best to leave the sex life comment out of your speech 

I'd leave out the bit about kids, too. ;) Not every married couple wants kids, and it's so annoying when people just assume that you do!

Most groomsmen tend to just tell a couple of funny anecdotes about their shenanigans with the groom (and you definitely want to run this through a trusted friend, preferably a female friend - it needs to be funny, not offensive/embarrassing), and then conclude with how happy they are for their friend/brother, what a great/beautiful person his wife is, and wishing them happiness.

Don't overthink it and it'll be fine, OP. Get a nice suit for the occasion, too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Alpacalia

That's great. Being chosen as the best man is a huge honor and responsibility.

I've been a maid of honor a few times, and the speech and toast are quite important.

What I did was congratulate the bride and thanked her for choosing me as the maid of honor. I talked a little bit about my relationship with the bride and special moments we've shared together. I also mentioned the groom and congratulated him on finding his true love. Be sure to include a message of love and support for the couple as they embark on this new chapter in their lives.

Try to keep the speech relatively short.

People get antsy and tired during long speeches, so try to keep it around 3-5 minutes.

As for things to avoid, try not to focus too much on past relationships or exes or inside jokes. This is a time to celebrate the love between the bride and groom, so it's best to keep the focus on them. 

I'm really happy to hear that you're excited about being the best man, and try not to let your nerves get the best of you. The bride and groom chose you as their best man for a reason. I'm sure you'll do a great job. Good luck!

• Like 1