bravojohn

I started a new position in late 2022. At the time, the strategy and deliverables for 2023 were already defined, and I was brought in to fulfil a very niche role in the organisation. I spent 2023 playing catch-up with regards to everything the company required (I actually delivered the projects quicker than anticipated). 

Now, in around March 2023 my Manager unexpectedly resigned. It was of course a shock seeing as, at the time, I was still very new in the organisation. But, I took it in my stride, kept my head down, remained focused, and delivered beyond what was required, in line with the pre-defined strategy and deliverables as mentioned earlier. My year-end 2023 performance review was also very positive. So all great...well...maybe not...

With all the historical deliverables out of the way, 2024 is wide open. Sounds great, right? Well, not exactly...
See, since my Manager's departure in March 2023, there's been no effort to fill the position again. Since then, I have been "making it up as I go along" so to speak, using the defined deliverables as a guide to systematically get everything done and out of the way...and now, there's nothing. 

It basically feels like "Mission accomplished...and now what?!". Since my Manager's departure I am required to report to one of the Senior EXCO members, and in all honesty this individual has absolutely no idea what my role entails, how it works, and from what I can gather has no clue as to how to approach my role going forward to ensure I remain productive aside from vague suggestions.

I do feel that the role that I am filling wasn't well thought through before they recruited, as they had short-term goals to achieve, which is now done, and now I am essentially an unproductive sitting duck. 

It is worth mentioning that my skillset is very niche, especially with my vast amount of experience etc. Additionally, due to my years of experience my salary is way above what most companies are willing to pay (I was head-hunted 3 times last year so I know by now). Finding a new job will take months so that isn't really an option.

How do I approach this? 

Alpacalia

Are you worried that the position you were brought on to fill has essentially become redundant now that the original goals have been achieved and that your services will no longer be needed?

• Author
bravojohn
8 hours ago, Alpacalia said:

Are you worried that the position you were brought on to fill has essentially become redundant now that the original goals have been achieved and that your services will no longer be needed?

Basically, yes. 

I also feel it's necessary to somehow inform leadership that the current vacant Manager position needs filling as guidance and direction is required. 

19 hours ago, bravojohn said:

Now, in around March 2023 my Manager unexpectedly resigned.

Forgive my ignorance but you stepping into this role - is that not the obvious solution.

• Like 1
Alpacalia
On 1/9/2024 at 7:53 PM, bravojohn said:

Basically, yes. 

I also feel it's necessary to somehow inform leadership that the current vacant Manager position needs filling as guidance and direction is required. 

So what do you plan to do? I work for someone that is a grammy-winning oboist but he has a debihlitating disease and my time with him is limted. He came about from a referral to me and I never expected in a million years that this oboist would be my ultimate boss but he is.

It seems your current position may not provide you with further professional growth and opportunities. In this case, you may want to start looking for new opportunities within the same company or start networking to find a new position outside of your current company. Also, you may want to have a conversation with your current supervisor or HR representative about your concerns and see if there are any plans to utilize your skillset in a different way or offer you any career development opportunities. Be proactive and advocate for yourself in situations like this.