How to make a long distance relationship work?

How exactly does a long distance relationship work?  Say someone is in talks with someone in a different city that is away from one but same country.  

Do both people just go on virtual dates?  Does one person relocate for the relationship?  

I have not done a LDR (and probably wouldn't do one), but yes, one of you would have to relocate in the future or else you'll never properly be together.   Or perhaps you both relocate and live half way between your families.  A lot of it would depend on who's willing to move and how easy it is to get work in the other location

d0nnivain

Let's work on some definitions 1st.  An LDR starts out conventionally but one person has to move away -- for school, for a job, in the military etc.   An OLR -- an on line relationship -- is what you are talking about.  Two people who don't know each other, never meet in person & conduct their interactions through a device (phone or computer) 

You make any relationship work by spending time together in person getting to know each other.  Until you meet, it's a fantasy & not real.    I have no idea how you make an OLR work because I don't understand the allure. 

When you meet & spend time together you also make a plan to close the distance gap.  Once you do that,  you live closer together but not in a single household & you date conventionally.  Going from LDR to cohabitation is too much of a drastic change in your dynamic when you don't really know each other in a day to day way.  

ShyViolet

I was once in a long distance relationship.  It was long distance for a year, and then I moved to be with him.  During that year we would basically have a nightly phone call, and I would go visit him every couple months.  If there is no realistic possibility of moving closer within a forseeable time frame so that the relationship can be an actual in-person relationship, then the whole thing is a waste of time.

• Like 2
On 1/9/2024 at 8:48 AM, Dude26 said:

Does one person relocate for the relationship?  

Yes, one or both will eventually relocate. A relationship with no plans to ever be together in the future is not a long-distance relationship, it's an online-only relationship. They are different.

You can do it just for fun knowing full well it won't go any further than virtual.

On 1/8/2024 at 10:48 PM, Dude26 said:

How exactly does a long distance relationship work?

You have to put in regular face to face calls and set a date I suppose for living in the same country/city.