My girlfriend asked me what was my highlight of 2023. Her answer upset me. Am I over reacting?

smackie9

My impression is, is that she's not on the same page as you romantically at this time.

ShyViolet
1 hour ago, lovers said:

My feelings aren't being reciprocated and it shows genuinely how she feels about me. Feels like a one sided thing. I mean that would make many people feel a bit insecure and question the relationship. 

How would you feel if you said I love you to your spouse and they dismissed it or didn't even acknowledge it? Saying they love something else. I reckon you wouldn't be too happy about that 

This alone doesn't show how she feels about you, this is just a silly conversation you had about highlights of 2023.  It really does seem ridiculous to question the whole relationship based on this one small thing.

Are you saying that the relationship is otherwise going great, no problems, and this one specific thing alone is making you question the whole relationship??  Or did you already have insecurities about her commitment to the relationship and this is just the straw that broke the camel's back?

d0nnivain

She screwed up.  That is why I asked you if you know if she had been drinking on NYE before you talked.  Her being wrong, you escalating with angry emojis & giving her a taste of her on medicine made things worse.  

• Like 1
Wiseman2
1 hour ago, lovers said:

I love you to your spouse and they dismissed it or didn't even acknowledge it? 

It's almost like the "mirror mirror on the wall" question when you expect a specific flattering answer. You didn't say I love you, so it's not the same. Perhaps focus on clearer more sincere communication. 

• Like 2

You bring up the fact she pursuit you at first, maybe she felt strongly at first and it changed along the way, or it simply did not develop further, that's not something she did on purpose so you get mad at her for what? Couples that date *talk* and ask each other questions when something sounds unusual like * how do you feel about our relationship*. If indeed her feelings don't match yours then you breakup amicably. There is no reason to get mad at someone because they don't feel the way you do.

• Like 1
FredEire

Firstly as others have said angry reacting as a way to express yourself in your 30s in incredibly immature.

I don't think she's obligated to say meeting you was her highlight. Might it seem a little dismissive? Yes maybe a little but I wouldn't think much of it unless there's more behaviour that makes you think you're not a priority for her.

• Like 1