Questions about dating [merged thread]

1_T

Not an ideal location romance-wise (it is usually quite busy and loud due to the nature of the establishment). Perfectly fine to go on a casual or low-key date at Dunkin' Donuts. Maybe you and your date will bond over some doughnut flavors or find delight in some sausage rolls.

15 minutes ago, 1_T said:

If on a date, the potential girlfriend offers food from her plate, is it fine if I accept the food from her plate?

No. Each order your own food and drink. 

3 hours ago, 1_T said:

I got a gift card to purchase items at Dunkin Donuts and is dating at Dunkin Donuts is fine?

Coffee dates at coffee shops are fine for first meetings but don't use a gift card or coupons. Save the gift card for something else. 

8 minutes ago, 1_T said:

Do I meet the potential girlfriend outside the restaurant or inside the restaurant because I plan to arrive early to reduce the risk of  lateness?

Whatever you decide is fine but let your date know exactly where you'll be waiting so she can find you. Maybe mention what you're wearing if you have never met before. 

Edited by Wiseman2
  • Like 1

Inside is fine. Have a seat at the table.  Let the host / hostess show her to you.  This will also reduce the risk of misidentifying each other.  When they approach you, stand up to greet her.    

[Dunkin Donuts] is great for a 1st meet off the internet.  It's not ideal for a 1st date.  IMO those are different things.  

DD is safe, convenient & well lit.  But it's not romantic.  

Is there a local independent coffee shop nearby in the same price point?  Something with a couch or soft furniture would be better than pink, black & orange cold, hard, plastic or metal chairs.   

Absolutely do NOT pay with a gift card.  

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
clarity

If someone offers [to share food] it's fine.  Do not ask or worse, help yourself.  

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
edit for clarity (due to merge)

I amend my response above.  While technically DD is a restaurant, it's really fast food.  Since there is no hostess & it's unlikely that you won't be able to see the door from the table, it's fine to meet inside or outside.  I'd let the weather guide you.  Again if this is a 1st meet, personally I'd go with comfort.  It's fine to be inside.  

29 minutes ago, 1_T said:

If a date is not going well, should the guy pay for the date or should the bill be split?

Are you on a student budget? If you meet and it's not a match, thank them for their time, pay the bill and wrap things up. You don't pay according to whether you like her or not. You pay because you invited someone. Make sure it's a simple affordable coffee if you are on a budget. 

• Like 3

Who ever did the asking  / arranged the date, pays, IMO.  It's not an audition.  The date doesn't have to perform to get a "free" drink / dinner etc.   

Select a location you like that is not too expensive.  Arrange early dates with low cost expectations -- like coffee or a drink -- so you are not out $50+ for dinner.  Keep things light & fun.  

If the date is not going well, end it graciously but not abruptly.  When dating time is as much of an investment as money.  

• Like 1
  • Author
On 12/26/2023 at 9:10 PM, NuevoYorko said:

Can you define what "not going well" means to you?  If you think the woman is unattractive, does that count as "not going well"? 

I define "not going well" means I don't think she is compatible with me.

12 minutes ago, 1_T said:

In this case you should definitely pay.  

• Like 2

As others have said, get something like coffee or drinks for your first date. You usually pay for those BEFORE the date starts anyway, so the question is irrelevant... If paying for an extra coffee is still a great financial hardship to you, then I might respectfully suggest that you're not in a position to be dating at the moment.

Edited by Els
  • Like 2
9 hours ago, 1_T said:

Yes, you still have to pay.  This is why especially for a 1st meet off a dating app you keep the event cheap.  

When dating through apps there will be more incompatible instances then ones where you hit it off.  Such is the nature of the medium.  

18 hours ago, 1_T said:

Doesn't matter. Be a gentleman, get the bill and say, "I'll take this one." Not because it's the man's job to pay, but because it's a respectful gesture and you were the one who asked her out. If she offers to split, you can decline. If she insists, you can split. If she offers to pay for the whole thing, awesome.

Edited by Alpacalia
  • Like 1
  • Author
On 12/26/2023 at 9:10 PM, NuevoYorko said:

Can you define what "not going well" means to you?  If you think the woman is unattractive, does that count as "not going well"? 

Me: Hi Izzy, how long have you been on OkCupid, I recently joined, and I am hoping to find someone who is looking for a relationship as seriously as I am.

Izzy: Hi.

Me: How's it going?

Izzy: I'm goodI

Izzy: You?

Me: I'm doing well. What types of food do you like to eat?

Izzy: Something sweet

Is it fine if I ask Izzy, which is a potential girlfriend, what country she is from next? So, could I say "I like something sweet too. What country are your parents from"