How would you interpret this?

despairingbuttrying

Do you think a manager / boss emailing you saying "this is the second time I've had to remind you" is a little patronising and like speaking to a child? 

I should provide context - basically, my boss is extremely impatient (by his own admission) and barely tolerates mistakes. So he's someone who just doesn't understand that once he's told you to do something, it's simply unacceptable to make a mistake. This is reference to two tasks that I simply forgot to do once. Wasn't deliberate obviously, I just forgot as I was busy doing other things as well. 

To add further context, none of these two tasks are particularly important or vital - uploading a few documents onto a CRM which can be done anytime and then the other, was using the correct slide format version and I simply forgot to use the right one. Furthermore, these are new tasks in my role, I haven't done them before so it's also simply getting into the habit of doing something different. He can't seem to understand that being the perfectionist he is. 

So yeah, in the grand scheme of things not exactly earth shattering but he reacts like you've insulted his mother. 

To his credit he can be complimentary of me at the same time and does acknowledge the good work I've done at times but he's far more animated and outspoken whenever I make even the most minor mistake. I've been wanting to leave this job for a long time now as I can't keep being treated like a child and also to work with someone who is constantly micro managing, stressing out over every mistake, sees his job as the be all and end all. 

19 minutes ago, despairingbuttrying said:

- basically, my boss is extremely impatient (by his own admission) and barely tolerates mistakes. 

He admits to being a sort of breathe down your neck type of micromanager, so these condescending type of messages seem par for the course with someone like this.

Try to ignore it. It's his toxic style of doing things. These types always need to be bossing around barking orders and cracking the whip even if there's no point. 

Edited by Wiseman2

No it's not patronizing. This manager holds your future in his hands.  He's telling you that further "reminders" about tasks he assigned to you will result in you being labeled as unreliable in his mind & that could have deeper more profound consequences.  

You clearly don't like it there & hate his management style.  Time to polish up your resume.  Good news:  lots of companies take on new hires after the 1st of the year.  

Edited by d0nnivain

You must make your own decisions, but speaking just for myself, I've had both good and bad bosses over a 20+ year career. At this point, I wouldn't tolerate a true "bad manager" I'd leave.

No. It's extremely frustrating when a manager asks for something from an employee and the employee disregards it. As the manager pointed out, it's the second time they have had to remind you, which indicates a pattern of forgetfulness. While the manager's tone may come across as patronizing, they are simply trying to communicate the importance of following through with tasks, especially those that have been previously requested. It's important to take responsibility for your actions and try to improve in areas where you may be falling short. It doesn't matter if the tasks aren't important or vital to you, they may be important to the company and it's your job to complete them to the best of your ability.

I am assuming that the task is important to your manager and needs to be done sooner, rather than later. Maybe some higher-ups are wondering why such and such wasn't done or why it was done incorrectly.  And this is why your manager is reminding you. But then again, I am only assuming. I don't know the whole thing. It is quite possible that your boss is micromanaging you. 

15 hours ago, despairingbuttrying said:

To add further context, none of these two tasks are particularly important or vital - uploading a few documents onto a CRM which can be done anytime

Anytime could either be 5 minutes or 3 month.

Why don't you ask your boss when he wants you to finish that particular task when he gives it to you? That way, you can make notes and plan accordingly.