Christmas - Star map

mortensorchid

mortensorchid

Here is a question - some of you have probably seen those ads for The Night Sky or Star Maps that you can give your significant other a star map of a special occasion (first date, first kiss, etc.).  Would a man be happy about getting that from a woman?  They seem to be sentimental ones that men give to women. 

5 minutes ago, mortensorchid said:

They seem to be sentimental ones that men give to women

I've known for a long time that what l like as a gift has nothing to do with what men like. 

Question is, is your guy into astronomy? And sentimental gifts?

So weird.

I'm going to a star party next weekend for stargazing and exploring planets. 

Yeas, is your guy a fan of astronomy?

Sounds like a thoughtful 💡 

• Like 1
  • Author
mortensorchid
2 minutes ago, Alpacalia said:

So weird.

I'm going to a star party next weekend for stargazing and exploring planets. 

Yeas, is your guy a fan of astronomy?

Sounds like a thoughtful 💡 

He is not but I was trying to think of a sentimental gift to give to him that was unique.  And I think this is pretty unique.

7 minutes ago, mortensorchid said:

He is not but I was trying to think of a sentimental gift to give to him that was unique.  And I think this is pretty unique.

I would opt for something safe like a leather bracelet with something engraved.

• Author
mortensorchid
2 minutes ago, Gaeta said:

I would opt for something safe like a leather bracelet with something engraved.

Already got that last year 

21 minutes ago, mortensorchid said:

It's definitely a unique and thoughtful gesture, it comes from your heart.. Ultimately, it's the thought and effort behind the gift that counts, so if you genuinely believe your partner would appreciate a star map or night sky print, then go for it! Maybe you can add a personal touch by wrapping it in your sexy undergarments.. Haha, just kidding. Sorry if I was a bit bold, I feel 100% sure that it was meant with good intentions. Sometimes I just take things too far. Anyway. In regards to the star map, it may not be a gift that appeals to every man, as not all men are sentimental or interested in astronomy.

But there's no harm in trying, and your partner may surprise you by how much he appreciates the sentiment behind the gift. If he truly loves and cares for you, then he will appreciate the thought behind any gift you give him. So go ahead and give it a try, it may end up being a cherished and unique gift that he will always remember. And if not, don't worry about it. The effort and thought you put into the gift is what truly matters.

Edited by Alpacalia
  • Like 2

You want to know if a man would want a star map from a woman.  In all honesty, I think such a gift would only appeal to the most sentimental man or woman.  if I gave my husband a star map, it would be a massive fail.  And to be honest, I wouldn't want one either.

In my experience, a guy is more likely to appreciate something which appeals to his interests.  What does your guy like doing?   Sports ....a jersey for his favourite team/player.  Or tickets.   Collectables.....Find a something which he's been wanting.   Sports....update a piece of equipment which is worn out or tickets to an event.  Music tastes...a limited edition album   Does he drink? You could get a black label something or other.  

• Like 3

It depends on the man.  My husband would think it interesting for a moment & then it would get rolled up & shoved in a drawer somewhere never to be seen again.  

• Like 2
  • Author
mortensorchid
10 hours ago, Gaeta said:

I feel you, It's so hard to find presents for men. 

Is this for your first dating-anniversary or it's for Xmas?

This is our 2nd XMas together 

2 minutes ago, mortensorchid said:

This is our 2nd XMas together 

Is he into astrology or astronomy? While it seems like a novel gift idea, if it's not something he's into it's missing the target.

It's nice you're already trying to think of gifts but there's still plenty of time to research other gift ideas.

About asking him what type of gifts he likes?

I go through torture finding a gift for my bf whether it's for his b'day or Xmas then last Xmas my daughter bought my bf those hot sauces collection. He was so happy he still talks about it lol. I thought to myself l really was off track with my designer gift!

I would do the star map. It's something that you want to celebrate with a special occasion celebrating the two of you. But I would also pick out a gift that is something he specially wants, whether it's a new gadget, clothing, or an experience. Something that shows you pay attention to his interests and needs. Of course, the best gift is something that comes from the heart and is tailored to his personality and interests. A combination of the two would be perfect.

22 hours ago, mortensorchid said:

Here is a question - some of you have probably seen those ads for The Night Sky or Star Maps that you can give your significant other a star map of a special occasion (first date, first kiss, etc.).  Would a man be happy about getting that from a woman?  They seem to be sentimental ones that men give to women. 

I had to google The Night Sky and Star Maps. Oh, Ok. It's fine I suppose if he is into that kind stuff. But what do most people would do with it? It is really not everyone's cup of tea type of gift. I suppose, they could put it on a shelf or keep it in a closet. I don't know. Why don't you give him something practical that he can use? Even a gift certificate may be a better option. Have a conversation with him and ask what he wants for Christmas. I am very very very bad with the gift ideas, so I always ask people what they would like to get for a present. Do you have any idea what he is going to get you? I mean, you don't want to go overboard and overspend if he is not going to do the same with your gift. I think that mutually agreeing to on the amount of money (or setting a limit) for a spend on a gift is a good idea. I mean, you don't want to be splurging on his gifts only to receive a crappy $10 tinsel in return, lol.

Men aren't that into sentimental presents as a rule.  Is there something practical you can get him?  I once got a BF an A frame 6' ladder because his was a rickety piece of junk.  He loved it.  Said it was the best present ever because it showed I paid attention.    

• Like 1
  • Author
mortensorchid

He told me what he got me already- we are going to see 30 Seconds to Mars this summer.  One of my boyfriends (Jared Leto) is the frontman of course.  Ha ha ha... 

I got him something practical that he requested - slippers.  Last year I bought him a robe for when he stays over at my house so he requested slippers for my place.  I wanted to give a 2nd sentimental gift, still debating if it's what I want to do or not.

It feels more like an "anniversary" type of gift than a Christmas type of gift, in my opinion. But IMO, I wouldn't stress too much over giving the "perfect" gift, if you think he'll like it then it should be fine. Many people, especially men, seem to not care too much about exactly what gift they got, they just enjoy the fact that you put in time and effort to get the gift, and that you'll be spending the day with them.

What did you decide about the star map?

I thought of this post last night at my star party. It was colder than a witch's breast, so I had some time to think while waiting for everything to adjust. It was way up in the mountains, pitch black in the woods and we had to walk up this 1/2 mile long mountain trail to get to the observing site. It was pretty cool, but way above my skill level. I did not know that they just discovered oxygen in Venus' atmosphere. We didn't plan the night very well, if our car broke down on the way up, we would have been screwed.

Another option for the star map maybe you both can just take a drive out to the mountains at night and see what you can spot together. Of course, as someone else mentioned, it's the though that counts. So don't worry so much about the actual gift star map.

I think it's because you're sentimental it sounds like and you want to have a physical gift to personalize rather than just go buy something. He might think it's silly or not be as sentimental which is why it might be hard to find the right one. Just do your best and have fun!

• 1 month later...
  • Author
mortensorchid

I gave him the star map for XMas and he liked it.  Plus another painting that I made for him.  He put them on his wall in his bedroom. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1