Bi-level Carriage House with Peaceful Vibe vs. Modern House with Friendly Owners

I have proposed leases from two properties and I need to make a decision soon. 

The first property, is a beautiful bi-level carriage house with a huge, beautiful backyard with lots of fruits trees and a vegetable garden. It's in a quiet, family-friendly neighborhood with great restaurants and shopping nearby. The layout of the house is spacious and has lots of natural light. One of the things I also like about it is the owner. He's an older man, maybe in his 70s and he reminds me a bit of a man that I worked for that passed away from dementia.

Living here would mean that I could have a peaceful and beautiful living space, while also having the opportunity to form a relationship with someone who reminds me of a beloved mentor. The neighborhood has such a homey feel to it and is super charming and lots of people out walking their dogs and neighbors having conversations. 

The second property is sleek and modern but it's a duplex and shares walls with the owners (a married couple, with a small child) but the walls are soundproof, so it offers privacy. The location is also great. The house itself has all of the latest amenities and appliances and is very well-maintained. The couple seems very friendly and welcoming, and I think we could potentially become friends. The husband and wife are super friendly and they have a cute little kitty that comes to visit sometimes. The downside is they have two dogs, pit mixes, and while they assured me that I will never interact with them, I do have fear with having a smaller dog because my smaller dog has been bum-rushed by bigger dogs before. 

Each property has its own unique charms and drawbacks. The first one has a beautiful backyard and a peaceful atmosphere, and a very naturesque vibe. The second one is modern and well-maintained, but I have some concerns about the potential for any dog-related issues and living in a shared space with the owners.

They're both close in rent with the first one being a $100 more a month.

The second property, the owners gave me a chuckle, they sent the lease to me via Docusign using an old email address of theirs that read "yo mama is so fat... dot ...." and they apologized profusely saying it was a silly email her husband made a while back and that they accidently sent it using that old email address and that they hope I didn't take offense to it. The husband is a psychologist and his wife is a stay at home mom and both were very kind and friendly during the viewing. 

Eek, I can't decide!

Edited by Alpacalia
  • Author
11 minutes ago, Wiseman2 said:

You seem to like that place better. 

I do, and while I like the owner, the owners of the second property seem more chill and fun to be around and I think would be more flexible overall.

What are your thoughts about second property's email folly?

The first place sounds heavenly to me, but that's my taste.  I would pick the place that felt the best when you first saw it.  My first feelings are usually very accurate about the long term when it comes to where I'm going to live.  

I personally wouldn't let the email thing keep me away from the second place if that was the one you decided you prefer.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd go with the first place, it sounds lovely and triggers warm memories of someone who was special to you. The second one sounds good too, but the dog thing could become an issue. I wouldn't worry about the email thing, it just sounds like they have a good sense of humour. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Alpacalia said:

What are your thoughts about second property's email folly?

Most people use throwaway email accounts for stuff like this. Especially when advertising or communication with strangers answering ads. 

• Thanks 1

Flip a coin.  When you have the coin's decision, feel your gut reaction.  Perhaps you'll feel an sneaky sense of disappointment or of relief and let this guide you

• Like 1
  • Author
4 hours ago, basil67 said:

Flip a coin.  When you have the coin's decision, feel your gut reaction.  Perhaps you'll feel an sneaky sense of disappointment or of relief and let this guide you

I was actually thinking of flipping a coin, hehe! Today, I visited a third property that was in the pipeline before these two, and now I'm even more torn about which way to go. I adore the carriage house, the owners of the modern home are fantastic, and the third property is significantly more spacious.

Place #1 for sure. Your write-up is decidedly more enthusiastic about place #1, and the amenities sound better.  Place #2 has a small child and, IIRC correctly, you were at one point annoyed at friends who spent a lot of time talking about their kids.  I suspect that any friendship developed with the landlords of #2 would also revolve around their child.  An additional concern is the two dogs.  Pits are problem dogs (yes, I know the claims that it's not the dog it's the training, but statistics bear out the aggressiveness of the breed) and you have a small dog.  It only takes one accidental interaction for things to go south quickly.

Unless the $100 is a limiting factor, my vote is for #1.

• Like 2

I'm a modern apartment person, and I would still go with #1 for sure. Sharing a duplex with a family with a small child and 2 pits sounds like the stuff of nightmares to me! There's only so much that soundproofing can do, and both parties would need to have their doors and windows closed at all times for it to function optimally.

Is there any downside to #1 besides the price? E.g. location-wise, can you still get to work easily?

• Author
2 hours ago, Els said:

I'm a modern apartment person, and I would still go with #1 for sure. Sharing a duplex with a family with a small child and 2 pits sounds like the stuff of nightmares to me! There's only so much that soundproofing can do, and both parties would need to have their doors and windows closed at all times for it to function optimally.

Is there any downside to #1 besides the price? E.g. location-wise, can you still get to work easily?

Thanks Els! I work remotely mostly so location wise it wouldn't matter. All three locations are in excellent locations.

On 11/16/2023 at 8:36 PM, Alpacalia said:

, I visited a third property 

It's good you're still looking. Everyone is different, but kids, dogs and stay at home all day onsite landlord would personally make me run for the hills.

• Author

I know but the modern property is an airbnb for six months and the layout is really cool and I would hardly see them. Their property, albeit adjacent, is on the other side and they assure me that we will never see or interact with their dogs. The Carriage house is also a 6 month airbnb but the one thing I was concerned with is that it has really slow internet, there isn't a lot of closet or storage space and there is no washer/dryer. This third property is a one year non-airbnb, it's a full house, with two double garages, lots of storage and cathedral ceilings. The neighborhood is more suburban and quieter, so it feels like you are tucked away in the forest, which I like. I dislike that I am dragging things out, all three have offered leases, I just have to make a decision and soon because they could very well rent out to someone else.

Edited by Alpacalia

With the new info, I'm now voting for #3.  The lack of a washer/dryer would be a deal killer for me,

BUT

You are comparing two 6-month leases to a 12-month lease.  How long do you want/need to be in this area? 

On 11/16/2023 at 12:48 PM, basil67 said:

That's how I used to make all kinds of decisions.  It pretty much did the trick.

• Like 1
  • Author

I have a preference not to remain in this area for an extended period. Returning to the East coast is my goal. My father is recuperating from a stroke in a neighboring state, making it convenient for me to travel and visit him frequently. Staying in an Airbnb for six months allows me some financial flexibility and the chance to commute between here and my father.

My intention is to permanently relocate to the East coast eventually. I miss my friends there.

The cost of living is much higher here where I am now and I want to be in a more affordable area. Where I live now is the 8th most expensive place to live in the U.S. 

Leaving the West coast (Nocal) and returning to the East coast has been on my mind for a while now. I have a strong emotional attachment to the East coast and all the memories that were created there with my friends and family. Staying in this area for too long would only prolong my homesickness albeit would make it easier for me to visit my father who is currently recovering from a stroke in a neighboring state.

Me living out here was only supposed to be temporary.

I've mentioned to all three that I need some time to think about my options. If I do an airbnb, I can always ask if they're willing to extend for another 3, 6 months, whichever, or just find a new airbnb.

Edited by Alpacalia
  • Author

So I made the decision.

I am wondering if it would be a good will gesture if I offer to pay for the few days that they pulled the listing off the market for the rentals that where they missed out on because of the delay in me signing the lease and then changing my mind? Or is that a bit much.

Unless they bring up the issue to you, I would leave it alone.  It's part of the business they are in.  

Congratulations on reaching a decision, I hope your choice makes you happy.

• Thanks 1
21 hours ago, Alpacalia said:

So I made the decision.

I am wondering if it would be a good will gesture if I offer to pay for the few days that they pulled the listing off the market for the rentals that where they missed out on because of the delay in me signing the lease and then changing my mind? Or is that a bit much.

Good for you.   

I wouldn't offer to compensate them for the few days off the market.  Thing is, if they'd had multiple good applicants (as would happen where I live), they would have replied that they have other applicants who are ready to sign.   But as they didn't say that, I think they knew that you were their best bet and so they were happy to accommodate you

• Thanks 1
  • Author
2 hours ago, basil67 said:

Good for you.   

I wouldn't offer to compensate them for the few days off the market.  Thing is, if they'd had multiple good applicants (as would happen where I live), they would have replied that they have other applicants who are ready to sign.   But as they didn't say that, I think they knew that you were their best bet and so they were happy to accommodate you

Much obliged.

They did actually, have other applicants. That was the urgency for why I had to make a fast decision. The first two places was with the caveat that I would have to let them know within a few days, or else they would move on to the other applicants. They liked that I was a student in the field I am in and working on my degree while working. So, I either had to commit or pass. The property was only listed for a couple of weeks and looks like they're both already off the market now so I'm glad.

The third place is a much more spacious house. It's a non-air bnb, which is fine. I really didn't want to get into a long-term rental contract with all that's going on and it took a while to get in and see it so I had to make sure I had other options lined up and ready to go because I have to move in two weeks. I have been going back and forth to visit my Dad in Arizona so I was pressed for time. 

The first two props were for six months whereas the third is one-year.

I feel good about my decision, just wasn't sure how to deal with the logistics. But I am okay with how it worked out, I think it worked out how it was supposed to.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Alpacalia said:

They did actually, have other applicants. . I have to move in two weeks. 

Congratulations on finding a place

If you have good credit, a verifiable income, a good residential history, are clean and quiet, don't smoke or have pets, it's easier to get a place.

You really don't owe anyone anything except the security and whatever fees and move in costs it entails. They're not really doing you a favor so you don't have to buy them off. 

• Author
2 hours ago, Wiseman2 said:

Congratulations on finding a place

If you have good credit, a verifiable income, a good residential history, are clean and quiet, don't smoke or have pets, it's easier to get a place.

You really don't owe anyone anything except the security and whatever fees and move in costs it entails. They're not really doing you a favor so you don't have to buy them off. 

Thanks.

Yes, I have all that.

I do have a dog so had to put extra security deposit for that which is pretty standard.

I think you must have misunderstood. It's not buying off. I was already approved by all three places after I submitted my application and they ran my information and I'm at the last step which was signing the lease. I recently told the first two I went with the 3rd place and won't be renting from them. The paying of a few extra days was meant as a good will gesture after I explained that I would not be renting with them after all, for the rentals they may have missed out on while I was deciding.

They could have continued with other inquiries and applications while waiting for me to sign the lease. They chose to put those on hold, and that was their decision. So I suppose I do not owe them anything extra for that.

Edited by Alpacalia
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Author

Someone in my neighborhood that I just moved into stuck a big branch behind my car. It was really weird so I just ordered Ring. Why would they do that?

1 hour ago, Alpacalia said:

Someone in my neighborhood that I just moved into stuck a big branch behind my car. It was really weird so I just ordered Ring. Why would they do that?

Do you know who or why? Are you in their parking spot? Was there a windstorm? Post pics on FB. See if they come forward 

Did you "invade" someone else's parking space? Must have something to do with that. But, of course, I know nothing about the parking situation where you live...  🙂