Ex-Cartel Member Turned Uber Driver

I had an interesting ride to the airport the other day while visiting my father in Arizona and heading back home.

It was a 30-40 minute drive to the airport and the Uber driver proceeded to tell me his entire life story. Long story short, he was born and raised in Mexico and belonged to the cartel at an early age. He moved to the States when he grew up and turned his life around.

I was slightly taken aback at first, yeah I admit I was a bit nervous— frightened actually.

He apologized for sharing all this information with me but said he felt that I was someone that he could share this information with.

He talked about the violence and corruption and how he was caught up in it all. He said he saw things that no one should have to see and did things that he regretted. Eventually, he was able to get out and move to the States. He started driving for Uber to support his family and has been doing it for several years now. He didn't want to live that life anymore and he was willing to do whatever it takes to leave it behind. He also mentioned how grateful he was to be able to raise his children in a place where they could grow up without the same pressures and dangers that he faced.

As we got closer to the airport, he said something that really stuck with me. He said, “You know, sometimes people don’t ever give a second chance. But sometimes, all it takes is one person to believe in you and give you that chance, and that can change everything.” And that’s exactly what this man did. He took a chance and made a better life for himself and his family.

I walked into the airport with a newfound perspective and appreciation for the diversity and complexity of people's lives. You never know what someone has been through or what they are capable of achieving.

• Like 5

What a great story.  And I love that he instinctively knew that you'd be safe person to share this with

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1