Coworker gave me her phone number

Johndan123

Hi all.

I'm working in a company on night shifts and I have a crush on a female coworker which works into office, day shift. We had a couple of interactions about the job, each time we smiled at each other and I really like her.

A couple of times she asked me for some favors by email regarding the job, however, on the last email she gave me some specific information on what to do in a specific day where I'm doing overtime (however, I knew what I am supposed to do) and included her personal phone number saying that I can contact her if I have any questions and thanked me in advance for helping with the overtime.

I did replied and also gave her my personal phone number in case she needs to contact me. She added my phone number on her phonebook ( I could see that using Whatsapp).

I am wondering what's your thoughts, why she would give me her personal phone number when we could use the email as we did many times before? It could be hint or I'm just crazy thinking of something else?

See if she would like to go to lunch or coffee breaks . Try to get a better read on the situation. Whatsapp automatically adds new contacts, so try to get a feel for things in person.

• Author

Hey guys,

We literally don't work together, she works 9-5 and me night shift. However, I don't know even if it will be the case of romances, perhaps my first question :)

thanks

She seems interested. Ask her out if you are attracted to her. Since you work different shifts, it won't get awkward if it fails.

I think this is rather normal in a work setting. I still have phone numbers of old colleagues I’ve worked with. I’ve never not had the phone numbers of colleagues I work with closely.

Are there instances where she may not be at her desk? Away on vacation? Why are you doing overtime this time? Would you be covering her shifts now or in future if she needs coverage? 

• Author
7 minutes ago, glows said:

I think this is rather normal in a work setting. I still have phone numbers of old colleagues I’ve worked with. I’ve never not had the phone numbers of colleagues I work with closely.

Are there instances where she may not be at her desk? Away on vacation? Why are you doing overtime this time? Would you be covering her shifts now or in future if she needs coverage? 

Hey,

Indeed she won't be at her desk as she finished work at 5pm and I started the overtime at 8pm so most probably it's just work related. I don't know why she thought I may need her phone number to ask questions as the work required for this overtime is very simple and she already explained everything in the email sent together with the phone number.

Anyways, it must be only in my head 😅, I'll keep it cool and don't contact her.

7 minutes ago, Johndan123 said:

Hey,

Indeed she won't be at her desk as she finished work at 5pm and I started the overtime at 8pm so most probably it's just work related. I don't know why she thought I may need her phone number to ask questions as the work required for this overtime is very simple and she already explained everything in the email sent together with the phone number.

Anyways, it must be only in my head 😅, I'll keep it cool and don't contact her.

I agree. Be chill and stay professional. I don’t see anything to indicate romantic interest. I would also not take the ph # offering so literally. It’s common courtesy to exchange numbers as colleagues in many workplaces. 

It is also equally just as understood not to abuse that and text non work related items or bombard someone on their time off. This is an etiquette thing. Although you have her number be sure you check with your supervisor or the person you report to if you have questions first - don’t bother anyone with questions during time off. 

I’d note kindly also that at work there are all types and she may be someone who feels very responsible for the work. Highly motivated and self driving individuals will behave like this and assume responsibility over all aspects of their work including training you or informing you of best practices on her shift etc. Be grateful she is giving that info, don’t be complacent. See how it goes. The point is to do the job well. 

• Thanks 1

I wouldn't say it's necessarily indicative of romantic interest.

I can't recall a time where I have given a male colleague my telephone number at work in a romantic context simply to ask for help with overtime. It could just be that she was looking for a more direct contact means in case of any questions or issues that arose, particularly since you are working on nights and might not easily reach her by email.

Perhaps you could justify it to yourself by thinking that she has entrusted you to complete a task on a certain day which requires extra responsibility - or you may know the task better than her. If its the latter, then she likely felt more comfortable giving you her phone number in case of queries as she knows you are capable of handling the task with minimal input. 

It could still mean she is interested, of course. Maybe she is looking for a more direct way to interact with you outside of work. But, I wouldn't jump to any conclusions yet. Instead, see if you can gain any more insights into her motivations. If you're comfortable and feel comfortable, you can mention to her that she gave you her number and see what she says. Otherwise, you could wait and see if she invites you to get in touch with her off the clock. Good luck!

Edited by Alpacalia

If she gave you her number for reasons related to the job chances are it isn't connected to wanting to date you. Coworkers and I exchange phone numbers all the time just so we can get in touch with each other if needed.

Generally when a coworker wants to date you they will make it very clear that that is their intentions. For instance a lady I worked with once gave me a note saying that we don't really get a chance to talk often and if I don't currently have a girlfriend if I would like to go out and do something sometime.

If they don't make it clear it's for romantic purposes than it's probably not. 

Edited by Sony12