I am a Catholic and although I haven't ever followed rules or gone to church every week I have always believed in god as my father does. Over the past few weeks I have started to write prayers, manifesting and praying verbally to god before sleep. Mainly just to say thank you for all I have and it sounds crazy but I always feel and have felt he is with me. Just recently on work video calls there has been beaming lights behind me from my window and many people on video calls have said I am an angel. I know this is just sunlight however when I got home this evening from work I looked outside and videoed the clouds and there was a cross in the sky, deep white cross and next to it was a love heart with a face. I showed my mum and sister who are not Catholic and they said they could see it and I think it freaked them out as well as me. Do you think it was god or a sign of the universe? it's scary but beautiful.. 

Edited by Ray_xx

Probably not, more likely just an impromptu show courtesy of nature. The thing about theophanic experiences is that there's never any scientific evidence to support them. But hey, if believing that you're an angel and God's sending you cloud messages makes you happy, carry on :)

• Author
40 minutes ago, MsJayne said:

Probably not, more likely just an impromptu show courtesy of nature. The thing about theophanic experiences is that there's never any scientific evidence to support them. But hey, if believing that you're an angel and God's sending you cloud messages makes you happy, carry on :)

There's no science behind what created the big bang or what was before - that's the question I guess we will find out one day.

16 minutes ago, Ray_xx said:

There's no science behind what created the big bang or what was before

I think you'll find the Higgs boson particle and it's impact on other elementary matter, (electrons, quarks, etc), is very real and is supported by scientific research. Whether or not a fusion of elements at a particular moment in space and time created "the big bang" is an unanswered question. But, just to further the debate, I must ask the question.......if there is a God, an all-seeing, benevolent deity whose job it is to care for all living creatures, why is there so much evil? You could reply that evil is perpetrated by mankind in the absence of religious belief, but that would make me ask you another question.....if that was the case, that human beings who lack spirituality are behind all evil, how do you explain the horrendous number of sexual assaults on children perpetrated by members of Catholic clergy over a (known) period of decades? Or, just so Catholicism isn't the only religion being scrutinised here, how do you explain the centuries-long abuses of Middle-eastern women committed in the name of religion? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m a savage mean Catholic who believes in the Big Bang theory and I travel between rainbows. Unfortunately I haven’t seen cloud crosses. Just dog shaped ones and occasionally the odd broccoli.

I completely agree with S2B - take the blessings and give thanks. I think everyone can learn to practice more gratitude. 

Edited by glows
  • Like 3

There isn't a one-size-fits-all answer to this question. What really matters is how you personally interpret this experience and whether it brings you a sense of inner peace and understanding. Personally, I hold beliefs in both God and Science. It's entirely possible that the meeting of the cross and the love heart was purely coincidental but held special meaning for you. Alternatively, it might be considered a confirmation from some higher force or presence. None of us can definitively answer this question, but what we can say is that such experiences often serve as a poignant reminder that faith goes beyond mere belief.

What's intriguing to ponder is that we are here, still breathing, made of the same stardust as the cosmos. We share a cosmic connection with distant galaxies, and we continuously exchange molecules that have traversed through countless others.

In my view, this is the essence of faith. Whether it stems from a divine source or the universe itself, you are always intricately linked to something greater, and that, in itself, is pretty darn neat.

• Like 3

Personally - I have way too many crazy good instances like yours that prove things are no accident.

I don’t think it has a thing to do with being Catholic (as you say) but simply having faith and a belief system.

when I am open to receiving messages - those very clear messages show up!!! As in - all the time!

• Like 2
  • Author
10 hours ago, MsJayne said:

I think you'll find the Higgs boson particle and it's impact on other elementary matter, (electrons, quarks, etc), is very real and is supported by scientific research. Whether or not a fusion of elements at a particular moment in space and time created "the big bang" is an unanswered question. But, just to further the debate, I must ask the question.......if there is a God, an all-seeing, benevolent deity whose job it is to care for all living creatures, why is there so much evil? You could reply that evil is perpetrated by mankind in the absence of religious belief, but that would make me ask you another question.....if that was the case, that human beings who lack spirituality are behind all evil, how do you explain the horrendous number of sexual assaults on children perpetrated by members of Catholic clergy over a (known) period of decades? Or, just so Catholicism isn't the only religion being scrutinised here, how do you explain the centuries-long abuses of Middle-eastern women committed in the name of religion? 

I completely respect everyone has their own opinion - the majority of population would speak your words above - but I just don't buy it. People always try and work around my question - what was before the big bang? Let me ask you, if you walked into your house now and found a billion dollars and never found out where it come from, would you believe that just appeared as well? thanks for your answer though :)  happy Friday!

• Author
Just now, Ray_xx said:

I completely respect everyone has their own opinion - the majority of population would speak your words above - but I just don't buy it. People always try and work around my question - what was before the big bang? Let me ask you, if you walked into your house now and found a billion dollars and never found out where it come from, would you believe that just appeared as well? thanks for your answer though :)  happy Friday!

P.S - read the bible - Jesus gave us free will to be good or bad hence the evil in the world. We have a choice. 

• Author
8 hours ago, Alpacalia said:

There isn't a one-size-fits-all answer to this question. What really matters is how you personally interpret this experience and whether it brings you a sense of inner peace and understanding. Personally, I hold beliefs in both God and Science. It's entirely possible that the meeting of the cross and the love heart was purely coincidental but held special meaning for you. Alternatively, it might be considered a confirmation from some higher force or presence. None of us can definitively answer this question, but what we can say is that such experiences often serve as a poignant reminder that faith goes beyond mere belief.

What's intriguing to ponder is that we are here, still breathing, made of the same stardust as the cosmos. We share a cosmic connection with distant galaxies, and we continuously exchange molecules that have traversed through countless others.

In my view, this is the essence of faith. Whether it stems from a divine source or the universe itself, you are always intricately linked to something greater, and that, in itself, is pretty darn neat.

You believe in science and God - so do I :) thanks x

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Ray_xx said:

P.S - read the bible - Jesus gave us free will to be good or bad hence the evil in the world. We have a choice. 

Do you hold the belief that we have the power of Free Will when it comes to making life choices, or do you think that we are bound by our nature and conditioned behavior? Or a little of both? 

Edited by Alpacalia
  • Author
45 minutes ago, Alpacalia said:

Do you hold the belief that we have the power of Free Will when it comes to making life choices, or do you think that we are bound by our nature and conditioned behavior? Or a little of both? 

Both - I think we are all different. I believe ultimately that god gave us free will and a choice to be good or bad. I also think the universe created plays a part in our paths, fate and other coincidental situations. I think there is 1 god and I believe he can be with us all, in different ways but I think some of us perhaps carry him closer. I think love is evidence that god is real/heaven and evil is evidence of the devil/hell.

• Like 1

It sounds to me like you are having (what is to you) a bona fide gnostic experience. That's great IMO and I think you should appreciate it while it lasts. I too believe in both science and God. While I don't believe in the "infallibility" of the bible, I don't believe, as some scientists would assert, that there is no evidence for God whatsoever. The problem is with aligning "evidence" to empiricist approaches. Your shining cross and heart probably aren't exact images and so are subject to interpretation, as these things tend to be.

The randomness of water vapor particles in the sky can lead to occasional images popping up, particularly with our brain's tendency to "gestalt" - ie, complete, partial/imperfect imagery. I would say that perhaps it IS random, but perhaps God (being presumably a being of superhuman subtlety) might elect to use what we consider randomness to communicate with us and/or make His presence known on occasion. Some might interpret that view as at least plausible, others might see it as a form of mild psychosis, so again, it's still up for interpretation.

I would keep in mind that, like all experiences, this one is likely to not last forever. Also IMO this "level of unity" with God doesn't change physical reality - it's important to remember you can still get hit by a car. I think some people can (perhaps understandably) get carried away with this sort of thing (and these people claiming you look "angelic" over videoconference might be doing just that).

I hope you enjoy what will probably be one of the most meaningful experiences of your life. Remember, even a "love tap"from a blue whale can injure you, and God is a LOT bigger than a blue whale. So I would suggest you be mindful of your physical and psychological safety as you go forward.

Edited by mark clemson
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, Ray_xx said:

I think love is evidence that god is real/heaven and evil is evidence of the devil/hell.

Yes, I kind of agree with you. I think about how love is universal and it can't be scientifically explained. Sure we can see parts of the brain that light up when we feel emotions but it's more than that. It's something intangible and yet it has the power to create connections and heal people. It's something that transcends physical and material things and so I think it gives us a glimpse of something larger, something divine.

• Like 1
  • Author
12 hours ago, Alpacalia said:

Yes, I kind of agree with you. I think about how love is universal and it can't be scientifically explained. Sure we can see parts of the brain that light up when we feel emotions but it's more than that. It's something intangible and yet it has the power to create connections and heal people. It's something that transcends physical and material things and so I think it gives us a glimpse of something larger, something divine.

Amen x

• Like 1
  • Author
14 hours ago, mark clemson said:

It sounds to me like you are having (what is to you) a bona fide gnostic experience. That's great IMO and I think you should appreciate it while it lasts. I too believe in both science and God. While I don't believe in the "infallibility" of the bible, I don't believe, as some scientists would assert, that there is no evidence for God whatsoever. The problem is with aligning "evidence" to empiricist approaches. Your shining cross and heart probably aren't exact images and so are subject to interpretation, as these things tend to be.

The randomness of water vapor particles in the sky can lead to occasional images popping up, particularly with our brain's tendency to "gestalt" - ie, complete, partial/imperfect imagery. I would say that perhaps it IS random, but perhaps God (being presumably a being of superhuman subtlety) might elect to use what we consider randomness to communicate with us and/or make His presence known on occasion. Some might interpret that view as at least plausible, others might see it as a form of mild psychosis, so again, it's still up for interpretation.

I would keep in mind that, like all experiences, this one is likely to not last forever. Also IMO this "level of unity" with God doesn't change physical reality - it's important to remember you can still get hit by a car. I think some people can (perhaps understandably) get carried away with this sort of thing (and these people claiming you look "angelic" over videoconference might be doing just that).

I hope you enjoy what will probably be one of the most meaningful experiences of your life. Remember, even a "love tap"from a blue whale can injure you, and God is a LOT bigger than a blue whale. So I would suggest you be mindful of your physical and psychological safety as you go forward.

Thank you. My Uncle is a scientist and a top professor at Oxford University. Probably one of the most intelligent people in the UK. He is one of the most truest believers in God. Take away science, god is one and I believe (let's call him ''he'') has always existed. There is nothing before god and nothing that ends after. Perhaps it was just the clouds, and perhaps I looked on purpose knowing I have been praying, but the love and goodness in my heart is my proof of god and I will enjoy the rest of my days believing that I will meet with him one day. ❤️ 

Edited by Ray_xx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 9/7/2023 at 2:43 PM, Ray_xx said:

. Do you think it was god or a sign of the universe? it's scary but beautiful.. 

I am a Catholic.  I can't say for sure but I have faith that it was practically an engraved invitation for you to come back to Church.  So on Sunday go to Mass & see what happens.  

If you want a more scientific approach read a book or watch the movie The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel.  

Edited by d0nnivain
  • Like 1