How to survive a corporate/office job

Hey! 

I work a corporate job for a food delivery company. The concept is that customer order food from the app and the food will arrive within 1 hour. My main tasks there is to respond to customers inquiries that they have both on the live chat and on emails. Not only that but tasks such as reporting bugs and documenting error is also what I do. It's kind of a mix of corporate + IT job.

I have had problems with 2 of co workers. We will refer them as "Peter" and "Marius" 

Marius: ah he is the guy who likes to gossip. I remember when I first started this job he were always talking behind one of our co workers saying stuff like "She's fat and she is not doing a good job"

I cannot say for sure if he is talking behind my back but I do have a strong feeling. Since I don't have evidence I cannot really do anything but other's people opinions does not matter at all.

Peter: We both started this job at the same time and once we were done with training it was us going out there to do our job. He has not been rude or anything like that. He is just an annoying co-worker who does not stop talking and likes to interrupt other while they work. He is also an attention seeker. 

When I sit next to him or not he always comes to me to chit chat. I've told him multiple times that I cannot talk because I need to focus on the inquires and problems that customers are coming to me with. It did not succeed as he was still talking to me while I was working so I had a 1 to 1 talk where we both sat alone. 

I said "Peter, I know you really like to talk and you seem to be very social but I do think it has gone over the line. I want to focus on my job and I cannot talk. If you want to talk to me then I'll recommend that you do so when I have a break."

Peter said: "I understand but that is who I am and I cannot stop that. Therefore I can't promise you if I'll stop" 

Me: "Then if I get mad at you or take it further with HR don't come at me or get mad because I warned you"

I've asked my friends and family and they tell me to stop talking to him because that guy is annoying. I cannot report him to HR either because he is not bullying me.
That was before though but now he only comes to me and ask how I am and have some small talk which is fine by me. 

Here is my opinion: There is no shame in having problems with co workers as not everyone can get along + in general if you have any sort of problems with that person if it is work or a friend it is better to talk it out.

How can I survive corporate/office jobs? 

In any job there will likely be interruptions and people wanting different things from you. Working in a shared space or office also means getting along with your coworkers in an informal way to a degree. We are not robots and a work environment is generally more tolerable and enjoyable when colleagues or teammates get along. I would say most people have a clear idea of when to make small talk during slow times and when to buckle down and work or respect colleagues when they are busy. It seems this guy Peter bothers you and gets on your nerves so any time he opens his mouth he irritates you. 

Having said that you must know how to minimize conversations. For ie if he starts a non work related conversation tell him you’ll be able to respond later on your break. If it is work related, tell him you’ll be available in an hour or x minutes. Turn back to what you’re doing and focus on your tasks. Be firm.

There’s usually no need to go so far as to a one on one meeting or threaten HR. You’re right - he’s not bullying you. What you can request is being relocated to a different part of the office if you can make a case that the distractions and interruptions are affecting your ability to do your job. You can go to HR quietly in private or your superior to discuss other seating or workspace arrangements.

Try not to burn any bridges or cause any animosity between yourself and your coworkers. You may need their help one day or the tables may be turned and you need to talk to him or ask for help. And you do not want any reason for someone to take issue or have a complaint against you. Always be neutral at all times and remain professional. 

• Like 4

I had a corporate job where I had my own office and a big leather couch, everyone used to come in and sit and air their dirty laundry while I tried to work. My best defense was just nodding my head and saying "ummhmm, oh, I see." Then I would excuse myself to make xerox copies. Other times I would lock my door.

Eventually they bypassed my office. 

Take regular breaks. In corporate jobs time can go by quickly and sitting at your work station the whole day can make you feel drained and overwhelmed. Taking regular breaks allows you to stretch your muscles, get some fresh air, and think about other things. 

Edited by Alpacalia
  • Like 1