I feel stuck in my workplace

Hey! 

Usually I don't share how my life and situation are at work as I want that to be private. I'm really opening up when I'm writing it here. My family and friends always say "Get a new job" and it's not that easy to find a job here in Norway. The amount of people without job is rising...

I work fulltime 100% in customer service for a food delivery company. The company is not public and are private. Private companys in Norway tend to pay lower and they have more power and rights over you compared to public. Company's that are public don't hire alot of workers and usually are very hard to get a job than private company's. There's no in between.

My main task is to solve customers problem they have with their order both on the live chat function and answer emails that they send. Documenting and reporting bugs are also within my tasks. So it's kinda of a corporate job where my task is a mix of IT stuff and dealing with customer. The food delivery concept is that you order food from the app and the food will arrive within 1 hour to your location. I'm sure everyone has it in their country.

The job itself pays average, not the best but enough for me to make a living. The work environment is meh but the working hours is what's making me want to quit this job cause I cannot stand it anymore. We have a system called "Rotation shifts" which means that I can have 1 week where I start 08AM in the morning and are finished 4PM (8 hours is normal here) and the other week I can work from 4PM - 11PM. 

My problem with that working hour is that I don't get enough sleep and my sleeping schedule is always [messed] up + I don't get to have free time cause I work till 11PM.... Unfortunately almost every job here has implemented that "Rotation shift" system so that they could hire more people so it would be fair for everyone. If I were working 08 am to 4pm on this corporate job then I won't be here complaining. 

I feel stuck because of that and I'm looking for a new IT job or customer service that have that 08 am - 16 pm as working hours but that seems to not be realistic... 

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
language

Listen to your family. Broaden your horizons. Consider government jobs, especially if you want a day shift only type of position.

Consider getting a second part-time job for more experience and perhaps breaking into another field.

Update your CV and LinkedIn in profile. List your training, schooling and jobs. List your qualifications and skills. Look up companies, schools you are affiliated with. Start following them and look for people you know. Upload your contact lists and see who you know on there. Start making "connections" with fellow alumi and coworkers and former coworkers. 

Research jobs on some of the major job sites.Consider working with a recruiter. If you dislike shift work, you may have to consider jobs other than customer support. 

Also consider going back to school and looking for training courses and classes in fields you like or could build upon.

Edited by Wiseman2

Definitely go back to school and try looking for a more practical program. Do you like writing code or have an interest in software engineering? I wouldn’t pursue network or system administration. Look at the most in demand and highest paid careers that match your interest. Please don’t stay in this same or similar role if it’s not working for you. 

I would weigh the pros and cons of staying in an established role like this while doing part time schooling. You know this job and can probably do it with your eyes closed. Be more disciplined with your time. Actually USE this job to invest in another/training. Nothing worthwhile is ever easy. You have to put in the blood, sweat and tears as they say. Good luck.