Any tips on how to mentally shut off?

SlimShadysWife

My mind is always on 100%. Physically I am drained, but it's the mental that is draining.

I tried taking lavender baths.

I tried yoga at my gym.

Stuff that's legal here and may not be in your country- it just spiked my anxiety. 

I've tried zzzzquil to help me sleep/ stay asleep. It hasn't helped.

What do you do to mentally relax? Natural remedies.

First regular exercise is probably one of the best things you can do. Relatively intense as well (where your breathing and heart rate are elevated). And then second would be meditation. Lots of apps offering guided meditations out there. 

• Author
SlimShadysWife

I workout on the regular. At one point I was desperate to sleep and thought exhausting myself out with cardio a couple hours before bed would help but it made me more hyper, it gets my adrenaline going which is what im not trying to do. And I wasn't using anything like C4 (engery drinks) before or during workouts. 

I'm physically really active and on the go. 

1 hour ago, justaskingok said:

Ive tried zzzzquil to help me sleep/ stay asleep. It hasn't helped.

Try eliminating all caffeinated and energy type beverages as well as alcohol. Both are know causes of insomnia.

Try to stay away from OTC remedies they can have a rebound effect. Many so-called "natural" and herbal remedies are not regulated, often containing significant amounts of unknown ingredients and inaccurate amounts of supposed "active" ingredients.

Try relaxing before bed rather than parties, clubs, late night last minute dates etc. since it seems to interfere with your sleep. Especially cut back on drinking.

Edited by Wiseman2
  • Thanks 1

Medication such as old type of antidepressants - even in half of the minimum dose - 5mg - is very effective with sleeping and in finding peace. Every time I feel like I can't sleep and my mind is all over the place, I use amitriptyline in that dose and have no side effects. My dr recommended it. Two first weeks there might be some tiredness but it dissipates. When you feel like you've found a balance in your life, you can try to go off the meds and ease into the regular routine.  

The old chamomile tea puts me to sleep like a charm although it tastes like dog butt. I don’t like it. 

Exercise and listening to music. I know someone who suggested podcasts. That really puts me to sleep.

• Author
SlimShadysWife
7 minutes ago, Stret said:

Medication such as old type of antidepressants - even in half of the minimum dose - 5mg - is very effective with sleeping and in finding peace. Every time I feel like I can't sleep and my mind is all over the place, I use amitriptyline in that dose and have no side effects. My dr recommended it. Two first weeks there might be some tiredness but it dissipates. When you feel like you've found a balance in your life, you can try to go off the meds and ease into the regular routine.  

I just tell my doctor I can't sleep? Is that how that works?

1 hour ago, justaskingok said:

I just tell my doctor I can't sleep? Is that how that works?

Tell him someone recommended it to you and their doctor recommended it to them, for sleeping and for calmness. It is really only half of the minimum dose you need about 2-3 hours before bed and you'll sleep well. It also brings some peace after about two-three weeks. I am a big proponent of herbal medicine and natural ways of healing. But they really have their limit and sometimes it is just the standard meds that do the trick. If it is out there to make your life better, and nothing else works, my idea is why not try. Good luck whatever you decide. 

• Thanks 1
On 8/8/2023 at 12:46 AM, justaskingok said:

My mind is always on 100%. Physically I am drained, but it's the mental that is draining.

I tried taking lavender baths.

I tried yoga at my gym.

Stuff that's legal here and may not be in your country- it just spiked my anxiety. 

I've tried zzzzquil to help me sleep/ stay asleep. It hasn't helped.

What do you do to mentally relax? Natural remedies.

The physical and mental are connected. If you're drained physically and not taking a break it could start affecting you mentally, and vice versa. Maybe you need a physical break. Take a day to relax and breathe. 

If you can't, how is your sleep? If your sleep isn't regular, try working on that. 

Meditations do help, those can be found on YouTube.  Priming also (Tony Robins). 

Also, what's on your mind? If something is troubling you, maybe that's the thing that needs to be dealt with?