do people treat you better when you wear makeup?

Chloeflowers

So at work, I don’t wear full on eyemakeup dolled up, just basic foundation. I noticed people are short with me/greet me. There is this new boss  there and only on the first day we were introduced. Other times when passing he doesn’t make eye contact or acknowledge me not even a simple greeting. Unheard of a boss. Other bosses have acknowleged me but not this one. Other than work, Sometimes in public-but if I’m just doing errands people treat me okay.

Just plain rude or should I wear makeup to get treated better?

• Confused 1

All you can do is go to work and be professional. If your boss is cold, just keep doing your job and be polite. 

I doubt her lack of friendliness is related to your makeup.   

You've complained at length about many people who you've worked with at different places.  Given your animosity and suspicion of workmates, I suspect you're sending out a vibe which keeps people away

• Like 1
  • Author
Chloeflowers
3 minutes ago, basil67 said:

I doubt her lack of friendliness is related to your makeup.   

You've complained at length about many people who you've worked with at different places.  Given your animosity and suspicion of workmates, I suspect you're sending out a vibe which keeps people away

This is a man by the way and he is new.

but i think my theory of women not wearing makeup in public is true. One time i went to beauty store to buy shampoo. The man employee was greeting everyone except me. I made eye contact with him and even said thanks very loudly and he ignore and has this cold stare. I was just wearing sweats no makeup. Then a few hours later, I wore makeup and wore a nice outfit then bam, he greeted me and treated me nicely.

Your attitude is the problem. The complaints you make about everything and the criticisms you level at others are all negative. It's hard to be around negative people.

• Like 3
  • Author
Chloeflowers
12 minutes ago, Alpacalia said:

Your attitude is the problem. The complaints you make about everything and the criticisms you level at others are all negative. It's hard to be around negative people.

I made a general post about if “women getting treated better” when they look good/wear makeup.  

I can’t post topics about make up and society without my “past posts” being brought up? 

do women get treated better by men when they wear makeup look good?

So to answer your question, I never wear makeup and get treated very well.  Most of my friends don't wear makeup and have no issues with friends, bosses or workmates.

Hence me thinking that the lack of being treated well is related to what appears to be a degree of hostility to your workmates. 

Edited by basil67
34 minutes ago, Chloeflowers said:

I wore makeup and wore a nice outfit then bam, he greeted me and treated me nicely.

If you feel better about yourself and more confident, people can pick up on that.  So it's how your appearance affects your attitude. 

14 minutes ago, Chloeflowers said:

Then a few hours later, I wore makeup and wore a nice outfit then bam, he greeted me and treated me nicely.

You mean you went all the way home and changed clothes and put on makeup just to see if he would be nicer to you?

Anyway, you normally complain about men looking at you or talking to you at work.  I would think you'd appreciate him keeping his head down and doing his job.  If he has something to say to you I"m sure he will.  Otherwise just do your work and enjoy being left alone.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Chloeflowers said:

No.

24 minutes ago, Chloeflowers said:

Some do and some don't.  Natually beautiful women get treated better with or without makeup.  Most women get treated with respect which is what is most desired whether they wear makeup or not.

52 minutes ago, Chloeflowers said:

but i think my theory of women not wearing makeup in public is true. One time i went to beauty store to buy shampoo. The man employee was greeting everyone except me. I made eye contact with him and even said thanks very loudly and he ignore and has this cold stare. I was just wearing sweats no makeup. Then a few hours later, I wore makeup and wore a nice outfit then bam, he greeted me and treated me nicely.

I'm finding it hard to believe that guy who works in retail would risk losing a sale just so that he could look down on you.  In reality, he should have seen you as someone who could really use his help.

All in all though the above story is about one man's shallowness and poor sales skills.   It does not reflect how the world at large operates. 

mtnbiker3000

As a man, I can tell you that I find women more attractive WITHOUT a lot of makeup. The bare minimum or none is best IMO!

I just keep picturing Mimi from the Drew Carrey Show and it makes my stomach turn 🤣

As others have mentioned, there are many other factors that are way more important about a person than their makeup. I personally do not know of one man who would treat a female different/better/worse based on her makeup.

My Swedish female friend is a stunner. She looks beautiful with or without makeup.

She definitely gets treated well.

But she has also been treated unfairly.

She has been judged for her looks, and made to feel like she is not taken seriously. This is despite the fact that she is a talented and intelligent woman (she has an MBA, and is a consultant for a large international corporation).

It is disheartening to think that someone so beautiful, talented, and knowledgeable can be taken less seriously because of something so superficial. Thankfully, she has a strong network of supportive friends and family who have encouraged and praised her for her hard work, perseverance, and accomplishments. This helps her to focus on her strengths and accomplishments and to stay positive in her life.

A burning question which surely keeps many awake at night. Is it specifically aimed at women? How much make-up are we talking about? Just a lick of lipstick or a Kardashian-esque total face replacement? I guess if you looked like Quasimodo some foundation and a nice lippy, maybe some false eyelashes, may make others less cool towards you, but if you're a young woman it should have no influence at all.  Your man in the store probably changed his attitude because when he saw you'd been home to doll up for him he thought he was going to get lucky. :)  

10 hours ago, Chloeflowers said:

do women get treated better by men when they wear makeup?

No. 

Make up makes no difference.

Respect for your superiors will get you treated better.

Do you want this man to notice you?

From what I've learned from allot of guy friends over the years is that most don't like make up on women and prefer them without.

Edited by JTSW
10 hours ago, Chloeflowers said:

I wore makeup and wore a nice outfit then bam, he greeted me and treated me nicely.

I don't think this has anything to do with what you wore or how much make up you had on.

The guy is new and he has been busy learning the ropes and settling in.

Once he felt more settled, he kindly greeted you.

• Author
Chloeflowers

I believe when you are at a high end store like Gucci or Prada and dressed in gym clothes, no makeup , messy hair-then NO sales associate will even look at you, will ignore you or treat you poorly. 

9 minutes ago, Chloeflowers said:

I believe when you are at a high end store like Gucci or Prada and dressed in gym clothes, no makeup , messy hair-then NO sales associate will even look at you, will ignore you or treat you poorly. 

Never heard that. 

I think its BS.

Is your new boss attractive?

Is that why you want to look nicer for him to notice you?

• Author
Chloeflowers
12 minutes ago, JTSW said:

Never heard that. 

I think its BS.

Is your new boss attractive?

Is that why you want to look nicer for him to notice you?

No babe, my question was do women get treated better when they wear makeup. 😀

Just now, Chloeflowers said:

No babe, my question was do women get treated better when they wear makeup. 😀

Ok, thought I'd ask lol.

But I honestly don't think it matters how much makeup women wear.

In my opinion, it's all about respect.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Chloeflowers said:

It seems like from your experience you think they do. However it's  subjective as to what "better" is. So if you actually believe in your theory, just make it more of a habit to be well dressed and made up every time you leave the house. Because according to your theory, you would be treated better all the time.

Edited by Wiseman2
  • Like 2

C'mon girl. This is not "self development." Going to high end fashion retailers wearing makeup, not wearing makeup. Self development is about gaining knowledge, learning new skills, growing as a person, and improving oneself. Shopping at high-end fashion retailers or wearing makeup are not necessary steps in this process. You may do these things as part of a general self-care routine to give yourself a confidence boost or express yourself, but they are not a key component of self development.

mark clemson

So a bit of input that parallels this question from a cis male who definitely wears no makeup.

I let my hair grow out a bit/am lazy with haircuts. I notice QUITE a bit of difference when I've had a recent haircut and "look my best" vs. when I've been lazy and let it grow out. With a recent haircut, women (and some men) have a pronounced greater tendency to smile at me, do me small favors, and strike up completely unnecessary conversations. When I let my hair grow out, I'm apparently "plainer" and there seems to be a lot less interest in me.

I think it's not "makeup" specifically, but looking attractive and thus being an apparent potential "high value" (for lack of better terms) partner brings out interest and a tendency for people to treat someone better. Certainly doesn't mean everyone will, but IMO there's a statistical trend.

There have been studies assessing this, which you could probably research. Here's one link. Interestingly, according to one study, apparently people can benefit from being markedly unattractive too in a somewhat similar way.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/how-much-is-being-attractive-worth-80414787/