How do you dissociate from people you live with?

SlimShadysWife

• Author
SlimShadysWife
Just now, basil67 said:

Not if you're living under their roof and they are paying for your accommodation.   Thing is, she can also have a boundary of throwing you out for this kind of behaviour.

If my adult child was living under my roof and said that to me, I'd tell them to be out at the end of the week

She told me to stfu last weekend...that's rude. Respect goes both ways I don't care who you are, im done with people talking to me like shi. I've never spoken to her like that, I just lied and said I was on the toilet, if that's out of bounds then she can talk to my dad if she wants me out...good luck.

• Author
SlimShadysWife

My mom is the type of woman you can't get too comfortable with, having a nice calm convo is like when pigs fly. You need to know when to distance yourself or else she will talk disrespectfully and barks when she talks. Have to keep it short and to the point and walk away ASAP.

11 minutes ago, justaskingok said:

She told me to stfu last weekend...that's rude. Respect goes both ways I don't care who you are, im done with people talking to me like shi.

When I worked in a playground and a child came up and said "they called me a poo poo head" my response would be "what happened before that?".   Same goes for this situation.  What were you saying before she told you to shut up?

11 minutes ago, justaskingok said:

I just lied and said I was on the toilet, if that's out of bounds then she can talk to my dad if she wants me out...good luck.

So you didn't tell her to only speak to you if it's an emergency.  Why did you tell us something which was untrue? 

And if you're telling us things that are untrue, how can we believe anything else you say?   You loose credibility when your stories develop holes. 

• Like 2
55 minutes ago, justaskingok said:

I am going to Europe next month. And then new York in September. Thank goodness.

Who is paying for these trips? Are you going with friends or visiting family? Are you applying to universities? While you are there see if they have boarding schools or universities you could apply to. That would get you away from your mother as well as further your life in a positive and productive way.

• Thanks 1
  • Author
SlimShadysWife
18 minutes ago, basil67 said:

When I worked in a playground and a child came up and said "they called me a poo poo head" my response would be "what happened before that?".   Same goes for this situation.  What were you saying before she told you to shut up?

So you didn't tell her to only speak to you if it's an emergency.  Why did you tell us something which was untrue? 

And if you're telling us things that are untrue, how can we believe anything else you say?   You loose credibility when your stories develop holes. 

I said.. "I've told her before not to talk to me unless it's an emergency". Before...key word. Different day, not today when I lied and told her I was on the toilet to avoid conversating with her. That's why I'm saying she should get a clue by now that im not trying to converse with her, I've been keeping it short and avoiding her all week.

21 minutes ago, justaskingok said:

I said.. "I've told her before not to talk to me unless it's an emergency". Before...key word. Different day, not today when I lied and told her I was on the toilet to avoid conversating with her. That's why I'm saying she should get a clue by now that im not trying to converse with her, I've been keeping it short and avoiding her all week.

I understand now.  But even if you told her before, it's still her house and her rules.  Seems to me like the toxicity is coming from both angles here, with both of you being rude and bouncing off the other.  

Now that I know you have a caring dad, I'm wondering more about the period issue.  You've said repeatedly that your mother left you for a year with no menstrual products and that you had to bleed into your underwear (and presumably though your clothes, all over the furniture, car and school seats).  Why didn't your dad step up and get this literal mess sorted out?

Edited by basil67
  • Author
SlimShadysWife
1 hour ago, Wiseman2 said:

Who is paying for these trips? Are you going with friends or visiting family? Are you applying to universities? While you are there see if they have boarding schools or universities you could apply to. That would get you away from your mother as well as further your life in a positive and productive way.

The Europe trip is gift for the bridal party, im going with cousins and friends. NY I have family there.

2 hours ago, justaskingok said:

The Europe trip is gift for the bridal party, im going with cousins and friends. NY I have family there.

This is a beautiful gift!   Who is paying for it?

2 hours ago, justaskingok said:

Enjoy the trip and get some distance from your parents. Have you looked for places with roommates? Ask around while you are on this trip. Does anyone else in the bridal party still live with their parents? Maybe they can steer you to better living accomodations.

• Author
SlimShadysWife
1 hour ago, Wiseman2 said:

Enjoy the trip and get some distance from your parents. Have you looked for places with roommates? Ask around while you are on this trip. Does anyone else in the bridal party still live with their parents? Maybe they can steer you to better living accomodations.

Thank you. Everyones old school/ traditional and dont move out till they are married. No one in the bridal party is married yet, cant look for advice from them. I've only known two people to live roommates, an ex boyfriend, and a girl I went to school with I don't talk to anymore. No one really does the roommate thing.

5 minutes ago, justaskingok said:

. Everyones old school/ traditional and dont move out till they are married. 

Catch the bouquet at the wedding so you can find a BF, get married and move out. 

1 hour ago, justaskingok said:

Thank you. Everyones old school/ traditional and dont move out till they are married. No one in the bridal party is married yet, cant look for advice from them. I've only known two people to live roommates, an ex boyfriend, and a girl I went to school with I don't talk to anymore. No one really does the roommate thing.

Oh girl. Break the mould then and support yourself and move out. Don’t live your life according to stereotypes. Why become like all the people you disdain? You can’t stand these people so don’t be anything like them.

• Thanks 1
15 hours ago, justaskingok said:

"Everyone" is traditional and doesn't move out till they are married?  Who is "everyone"?  You've just spent pages complaining about how horrible it is to be around your mom.  Now you're dismissing any idea of moving out and saying you are going to stay there until you get married, whenever that may be?

You are an adult and you could move out if you really wanted to.  If you choose to continue to stay there, then don't complain.

It's like you want to have it both ways.  You want to complain about how awful living with your mom is, but you don't want to help yourself to change the situation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Author
SlimShadysWife
4 minutes ago, ShyViolet said:

"Everyone" is traditional and doesn't move out till they are married?  Who is "everyone"?  You've just spent pages complaining about how horrible it is to be around your mom.  Now you're dismissing any idea of moving out and saying you are going to stay there until you get married, whenever that may be?

You are an adult and you could move out if you really wanted to.  If you choose to continue to stay there, then don't complain.

It's like you want to have it both ways.  You want to complain about how awful living with your mom is, but you don't want to help yourself to change the situation.

I was asked if anyone in the bridal party is still living at home... I answered. Your interpretation of what I said isn't correct. :)

Edited by justaskingok
Just now, justaskingok said:

I was asked if anyone in the bridal party is still living at home...at answered. Your interpretation of what I said isn't correct. :)

Ok so then why don't you get a roommate and move out?

• Author
SlimShadysWife
16 minutes ago, ShyViolet said:

Ok so then why don't you get a roommate and move out?

I will.

Never answered if your parents support you financially. Not that it gives your mom a licence to mistreat you but if it's that bad as you say you'd be trying to sever those ties.