Should I rejoin facebook when I feel out of the loop of what's going on in family's lives?

Chloeflowers

Chloeflowers

I deleted my facebook in 2020. I never was really on it that much. I had my bro and his wife on there and a few co-workers. Those coworkers I was never really close with so why bother being on facebook anymore? Since then, I don't know what's going on in particularly my bro's and my nephews lives. His wife is active and posts pictures-outside of facebook-we don't really text or she doesn't text me pictures of what her sons are doing-my nephews. Everything is on social media now a days so it would be weird for them to text me pics of what they are up to I guess? Anyway if I do join I would only add my bro and his wife on there and have only 2 friends, would that be lame?

Edited by Chloeflowers

There's nothing wrong with keeping facebook just so you can stay in the loop on what's going on with certain family members, in your community, etc.  A big part of me has wanted to delete facebook but there are certain things that I don't want to miss out on,  It keeps me in the loop with certain people and certain community groups.  If you want to rejoin it then just rejoin it.

• Author
Chloeflowers
8 minutes ago, ShyViolet said:

There's nothing wrong with keeping facebook just so you can stay in the loop on what's going on with certain family members, in your community, etc.  A big part of me has wanted to delete facebook but there are certain things that I don't want to miss out on,  It keeps me in the loop with certain people and certain community groups.  If you want to rejoin it then just rejoin it.

Yeah, I get not being on social media ppl miss out. but would it be lame if I only had 2 friends-as family members on there? 

The beauty of FB is that it can be used however you want to use it.  If having a very low profile is what you want, then do that.

4 hours ago, Chloeflowers said:

Yeah, I get not being on social media ppl miss out. but would it be lame if I only had 2 friends-as family members on there? 

You can do literally whatever you want.  It doesn't matter.  Who are you worried will think it's "lame?"

The last time I checked you can hide your friends list. Just go to settings and boom. No one can see how many or how little friends you have.

13 hours ago, Chloeflowers said:

I deleted my facebook in 2020

You made the right choice . It doesn't seem to serve you well. You can always stay in touch with friends and family on a more direct one-on-one basis through texting and other communication without going through social media.

It's completely up to you whether or not you join facebook again. There's nothing wrong with having only two friends on the site.

My friend and I were talking about how I need to stay more informed, considering that someone we knew had passed away. Even though I log in to Facebook every few months, I don't feel like I'm losing out on anything. I use Facebook mostly for groups and occasions like birthdays, but I'm content with listening to podcasts and calling people to get those updates.

It could be a way to stay connected to your family and get updates in their lives, without having to intrude in their privacy. However, you could always choose to stay out of it altogether and get pictures/updates from family and friends through other sources instead, such as texting or messaging apps.

mortensorchid

I have known people who chose to get off of Facebook, and maybe 2 of them have stayed off completely.  Show me one person out there who can live without social media in their lives in some way possible.  But that's another topic... 

As to your concerns?  You can have a social media presence and not be very active with it.  If you just want to check up on others - be they close friends or family members or whoever else - that's fine.  I just post ASMRs and ambience music on mine - keeps people out of my business.  Also makes me unique on social media as well.  I know one person who joined and never posts anything just looks at things.  And you can as well.

Ageless Wisdom23

No, Not lame.  However, You could end up Adding Their Friends(If you can see them)Or Their Friends Adding you.   FB also Suggest friends.  Go ahead and  Sign Up.😄

It's a double-edged sword. While people may be drawn in by the convenience of all-in-one-place, there are just as many headaches that come with social media as there are advantages.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Author
Chloeflowers

Yeah, I figured on facebook people can hide their friends list. I want to join instagram-something thats not related to family moreso for fashion/celebrities, places to eat, however would it be lame to have zero followers on there? I know I can set my instagram profile to private , but I wouldn't have 2.5K followers on there like those models that show ass, more like zero followers-would THAT be lame?

It is not silly at all. I post tons on songs in the music section because it's like an internal release for me. Having zero followers can be a great thing if your account isn’t about followers – it’s about expressing yourself and potentially connecting with other people who feel the same way!

Just focus on exploring and enjoying it. 

3 hours ago, Chloeflowers said:

Yeah, I figured on facebook people can hide their friends list. I want to join instagram-something thats not related to family moreso for fashion/celebrities, places to eat, however would it be lame to have zero followers on there? I know I can set my instagram profile to private , but I wouldn't have 2.5K followers on there like those models that show ass, more like zero followers-would THAT be lame?

NO it's not lame to have zero followers.  Who is going to care other than you?

What's worse, having three people on Facebook who you're genuinely friends with, or having 600 people, most of whom who you've never even met? I have only my closest friends and sane family members on social media, but I mainly only use it for messaging and to be harassed by friends posting photos or videos I'm not even vaguely interested in. I'm pretty weird about social media though, I think it's the scourge of modern society because too many people abuse it. For example, one of my friends is currently overseas and she's doing daily, (hourly maybe by the looks of it), posts about her trip. There was maybe twenty photos of the inside of the plane. Why? Because she's desperate for everyone to know she's flying business class. Why? Because she wants people to think she's wealthy, (she's not), and she wants people to think she has an exciting life, (she doesn't), and she wants people to think she's happy, (she's not). Social media is brimming over with secretly unhappy people pretending they're shiny and life's perfect, and that's why you should never care what anyone thinks of your profile or how many friends you have. You only have to worry if you start making ThickTok videos and making an international fool of yourself, (refer to Britney Spears as an example).