Let's just say I am an Irish girl and I work for a company in Ireland and we have a sister company near India. I am a single female and I have met someone in work who lives near India. We have been talking for 4 months and I have fallen in love with this man and he told me he feels the same. He is moving to Ireland next year and we have spoke about going on trips together and spending lots of time together. The issue is our parents. Our culture is completely different and my parents would be so upset if I married into a different culture and I feel his would be the same and expect me to convert to their ways which I can never do. We have decided to leave things as friends and we talk everyday. I know his heart is broken and I am so sad but I just don't see a way forward due to culture. The question is am I wrong?

You're not wrong.

If you both know that things can't work because of different cultures then you did the right thing calling off the relationship.

I also recommend on lowering the amount of contact because it's not going to help either of you move on.

Talking every day is just going to keep you both stuck in a rut.

• Like 2

I’m multi-ethnic and these days many people are or have multiple citizenships. I might be a bit more open to something like this given the circumstances but not if there’s 1) the hurdle of long distance, a giant what if (next year so not soon) and 2) if your beliefs or values compromise one another’s.

This is less likely to work if you’re younger and still dependent on parents or need/want their support. 

Why don’t you keep things professional and press pause on the emotional talks, maintain some distance and if he moves next year revisit the idea of a relationship? Rome wasn’t built in a day. Try not to rush things and be wary of someone who is over the top with emotions and pushes you when you’re uncomfortable.

Edited by glows
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, Ray_xx said:

I work for a company in Ireland  I have met someone in work who lives near India. We have been talking for 4 months 

Have you met in person? You're correct that it's probably better to stay friends since the cultural and logistical aspects are too complicated to pursue a relationship.

• Author
2 hours ago, Wiseman2 said:

Have you met in person? You're correct that it's probably better to stay friends since the cultural and logistical aspects are too complicated to pursue a relationship.

Never met in person

ExpatInItaly

You are not wrong. You were getting way, way ahead of yourselves. 

You have never spent time together in person, and thus have no clue if you would even get along. You don't know what daily life would look like with each other, let alone the significant culture clashes you two would face. 

I would cut back on contact. You both need space from each other to process and move on. 

• Like 1