When you can't find someone

mortensorchid

mortensorchid

This is a more generalized thing, but I am sure we have all thought about others from our past and wondered what they are doing now.  Before the internet we had little to no means of trying to find them.  Now it's very easy, just a basic Google search will give you most information as long as you have some sort of facts about them.  But what if you can't find ANYTHING on them?  

You Google a name (John or Jane Doe) and know that this person once lived in this city or went to school or worked at Place and there's NOTHING to be found?  That's strange.  Or is it intentional?  I mean at some point everyone pays taxes and votes and whatever else there has to be some information out there.

Has this ever happened to anyone? 

Yeah sure, my best friend actively limits her presence on the internet - she has no social media and our government agencies aren't allowed to release details on us.  There really is nothing out there for her.  She values her privacy, particularly wanting to avoid exactly what you describe - people from the past looking her up.  I respect that. 

While I do have social media, I have my doubts about how sensible it really is to put all and sundry out in the interwebs.  I think people who keep private are pretty sensible. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, mortensorchid said:

.  Or is it intentional?  I mean at some point everyone pays taxes and votes.

Voting and taxes doesn't show up on Google. And yes there are services people use for privacy reasons to eliminate their data from search engines. 

As someone who is very cautious about my online presence (being here is ironic I know), I am rather a void on online searches. A lot of people for various safety and security reasons will adopt an alternative online presence; not for anything deceptive per se, other than for online trackers.

Blind-Sided

I have some social media, and people can find me.... but a google search on me brings up nothing.  I've kind of meant it to be this way.  SO... in things like a chat board... even where we share personal stuff.... screen names don't link back to real life. 

mark clemson

I have looked up old friends and some exes and there have been some I haven't found. It may mean nothing in some cases as not everyone prefers to keep a high profile on the internet. I would say it certainly can be intentional in some cases.

In one specific case of an Ex I saw a post on LinkedIn from > 15 years ago and then nothing. No updates to her profile of any kind. She had a health issue of significance and I suspect she may unfortunately have died.

In another case a HS friend I found nothing on and wondered if she was alive, as she had some "high risk" lifestyle tendencies and the last I had heard of her she was doing drugs with street gang members (kinda scary). However that was a LONG time ago. A few years later I checked again and she turned up and is doing ok, has a job and an interesting hobby saving sea turtles. So one never knows...

By law home ownership is public and available on the internet. If you find it. Address mortgage .Residents there. Renters have more privacy. Some people are invisible. No radar so to speak. Seniors usually are not in social media unless they own an active business or career. After women get married and change their names I find it impossible. Also if you publish something even a letter it may appear in Google.  I use a fake name

Blind-Sided
On 4/29/2023 at 9:12 AM, LuckyM said:

By law home ownership is public and available on the internet. If you find it. Address mortgage .Residents there. Renters have more privacy. Some people are invisible. No radar so to speak. Seniors usually are not in social media unless they own an active business or career. After women get married and change their names I find it impossible. Also if you publish something even a letter it may appear in Google.  I use a fake name

If your mortgage is old.... it's not there, and you will have to go to the local courthouse to actually find it. (yes, it is still public record) Basically.... no one is updating old info.  At least around me.   Also.... Unless you use your full proper name.... it's harder to find.  I go by my nickname.... and even close friends don't know my middle name.  Not because I hide it.... it just doesn't normally come up.

Edited by Blind-Sided
On 4/29/2023 at 11:12 PM, LuckyM said:

By law home ownership is public and available on the internet. 

What law?   Home ownership is not publicly available where I live.