I passed! I passed!

mortensorchid

I just took a test today for the 9th time to try to get my license to teach in public schools.  The last I was off by 2 points from passing.  What can I do but keep trying and trying and never giving up?  Frustrating...

30 minutes ago, mortensorchid said:

my license to teach in public schools.  

Do they have prep courses or tutoring available for this exam? Most licensing exams have plenty of preparation courses available.  For example, very few people would sit for the bar exam or medical boards (or any state licensing exams) stone cold. Check with private test prep companies as well as whatever is offered at local universities.

Check the state licensing board for for information. Also check the library for reference books on this exam and ask what resources (prep materials, study guides,etc.) are available. 

Edited by Wiseman2
  • Author
mortensorchid

I have bought prep materials and rhry are good but I can't get over that last bump to pass.  So frustrating.

Are you noting somewhere all the questions that you got the answers wrong to from the 1st to the 9th test? Do you see any patterns where you may regularly be confused or are mistaken?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Author
mortensorchid

I seem to slip up on the standards and how to teach the materials to others.  The more technical questions (ex. Which of the follow 4 questions is an example of a [blank])?  I can answer just fine.

On 4/10/2023 at 12:11 AM, mortensorchid said:

how to teach the materials to others

Surely they don’t expect everyone to use the same approach? I teach at a university and we have peer observation of teaching, where we get to sit in on each other’s classes, because everyone has different ways of teaching (even the same material) and we all learn from each other. 

• Like 1
  • Author
mortensorchid

I am / was 2 points off from passing last month, I am taking it again on Thursday of this week.  This time, Lord, this time... 

Just keep plugging at it. I failed my Bio tests initially, and it was very discouraging. Even if you end up not passing. You're still plugging away and kicking butt. It can be a struggle, but don't give up! Don't let anything discourage you; keep putting in the effort and you'll get there.

Look for different ways to study for the test. For instance, use flashcards to memorize key concepts, or create a study group with classmates to review material. What helped me was getting a white board and I pretended like I was teaching the class. Using a whiteboard to simulate a teaching environment helped me practice explaining the material and helped to better retain the knowledge.

Edited by Alpacalia
  • Like 1
  • Author
mortensorchid

I took the test for the 10th time yesterday (yes, the 10th) and I passed!  I can now get my license to teach in public schools! 

• Like 3

Congrats.  I'm a certified teacher too.  I've taken the tests here in my state, and they were hard.