Severance Etiquette

I find myself in an unusual predicament. The individual I was employed by has recently passed away from Dementia.

The job entailed project management for his business but given his condition sometimes it would extend beyond things like helping with his laundry or making sure he had something to eat for lunch and other caregiver duties.

Although I have been offered a new job in a few months, the daughter of my former employer has offered to continue paying me for the time being as a severance package. However, I feel uneasy about invoicing them for work that I am not currently doing, especially as I had developed a close relationship with the man as both a colleague and friend.

When I didn't bill her for two weeks, she inquired why and I explained my reservations, but she insisted that she wanted to provide for me as a token of appreciation for my dedication to her father and how much he esteemed me. She stated that she wouldn't want me to suffer in a difficult situation. I am uncertain about whether to turn down her proposal altogether or whether it would be discourteous to do so.

Even though I am expected to invoice for the next two weeks, I have been postponing it.

I think you should accept the offer of the severance pay.  His family clearly saw you as the man's valued associate and appreciate what you added to the end of his life.  Look at it as a token of that appreciation,  not as a paycheck.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Alpacalia said:

, the daughter of my former employer has offered to continue paying me for the time being as a severance package. 

Accept the severance package. You didn't quit so severance packages are usually provided in the case of layoffs, or in this case, sudden unemployment. It's a pretty standard offer.

Edited by Wiseman2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Severance packages are not charity.  There are many reasons for severance "pay" or severance "packages".  One of the main reasons is for release of liability from potential lawsuits.  In your particular situation it could even be something as simple as part of a grieving process.  Regardless the reason, unless signing a release of liability was part and parcel of the severance package and you didn't want to sign a release for some reason, I don't see why you should feel any particular way about accepting severance.

Besides, you indicated you already stated your reservations and they still insisted so the most respectful thing to do would be to accept the agreement and honor your part by proceeding in the manner requested.  No reason to make things more difficult by rehashing or making them spend time and energy chasing you down for invoicing they requested.

• Thanks 1
mark clemson

Personally I rarely turn down money, particularly if it's being offered by someone who can afford it and for a valid/legitimate reason. But you are you and so YMMV. If it was me I would accept it unless the offer got to a point I found excessive on their part.

It seems to be in part recognition and appreciation for what you've done as she herself noted. To me, that's completely legitimate, and I rarely turn down a bonus (when offered) at work either, which is one way to look at this.

Edited by mark clemson
  • Thanks 1
  • Author

Thanks folks.

Two months of severance pay is really generous, especially since this was a contract role. Due to the fact most contract roles do not have severance pay, I was surprised.

I felt it wasn't right to accept the money given the circumstances at the time. But not accepting it would have been foolish. I was thankful for their generosity and decided to accept the offer.

• Like 2