do friends with benefits talk about things like this?

Sydneyxox

5 hours ago, Sydneyxox said:

. But I’m not really the type of person who talks about personal things with people. 

It's fine for friends or FWB to talk about stuff. However if it starts feeling like you're a free therapist, just pull back a bit, especially if you want to keep it as casual no-strings sex.

ExpatInItaly
12 hours ago, Sydneyxox said:

I just thought maybe it was a little too much sharing

I don't think so, really. He sees you as a friend. Friends talk about all kinds of things, including those you mentioned here. 

But given that this is now the second thread you've started on the same topic, I am going to assume you hope it means he's got deeper feelings. Right? 

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Sydneyxox said:

I agree with you I know it doesn’t mean he wants to be more than friends. I just thought maybe it was a little too much sharing. But I’m not really the type of person who talks about personal things with people. He didn’t have anything negative to say about his mother though. He was just telling me about her boyfriend. 

Are you okay with that level of sharing?

He mentioned his busy schedule, his hesitations about getting married again, and his preference for not living with people. I would take his words at face value. Heck, I've felt this way.

According to you, dating isn't for you, so this seems like the ideal arrangement.

If you're okay with sleeping with him casually then there's no need to worry about your current situation.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I met this guy on a dating app last year at this time. We went on a date at a restaurant it went well. And the second time we met in person I went to his house and we slept together. I kept going to see him after that and a month later he told me he thought he was ready to date. But that he wasn't and that he was sorry. By this time I was enjoying the sex and I wanted to keep seeing him. So I did there were times when we would see each other on a weekly basis. Sometimes he would text me asking me if I wanted to come over.

In January some things happened and he started having a difficult time. He let his friend and her kid move in with him. She ended up assaulting him in April. His mother has cancer and he's been helping take care of her. He also lost his job and has been studying to take an exam so that he can get a better-paying job.

So lately we have been going months without seeing each other the longest time was four months. But I'd text him just to check on him and some of the time he would respond. Once he didn't and I called him and he texted me and apologized for taking so long to reply. The last time I saw him was last month we talked about different things. He told me about him and his ex-wife. And how the two of them did things to each other. He told me she wasn't in love with him anymore. And that there was probably someone else. He said he doesn't like sharing his girlfriend or wife. But he's not possessive he just doesn't like sharing and maybe it's because he's insecure. And he asked me if I would share my man. I said I would like to experiment and he said he's ok with experimenting but to a certain extent. I told him how men try to date me and that it doesn't seem to go well for me. And he said "Don't date" I'm assuming because I said I have a difficult time. He said he doesn't date because he doesn't have the time.

He said he doesn't want to get married again and that he doesn't want to live with anyone again. I asked him how his mom felt about his living alone and he said she was ok with it. He's a type one diabetic and sometimes things happen with them and they need help. I asked him what would he do if he needed help he said he'd call someone. Or that, whatever happens, would just happen. He also mentioned that he doesn't like neighbors. And that he needs to work on his communication and needs counseling because he wants to start his own business.

But he was also saying things like "I'd order something but I don't have money" and something about this is what I do when I don't have money when we were watching a movie. Like maybe he was feeling self-conscious? I don't know.

Before you go on and on about how I need to move on etc I also talk to another guy who wants to date me. But I'm not really ready to be in a relationship.

It doesn’t sound like he’s using you for comfort. To me it sounds like neither of you want to date or be in a relationship and that’s exactly what’s happening. You’re more just casual friends who have sex once in awhile. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, ThrowRAksk said:

. He let his friend and her kid move in with him. She ended up assaulting him in April. 

It's fine to be FWB if it's working for both of you. However he seems to have a lot of complicated problems and that defeats the purpose of a light and breezy FWB situation. Is this the same man (assaulted by his live-in friend):

• Like 1

I don't even understand the point of all of this.  You don't talk or see each other for months and then you call or text him and have sort of boring conversations about random things.  

How would this mean anyone is getting used?

If you feel "used" when you speak to this guy on the phone, then simply don't reach out to him any more.   It seems like you are the only one initiating contact.  

• Like 1

In answer to your question, yes. Sounds like he enjoys a good moan and he contacts you when he's run out of other people to moan to.