What skills do you need to become a good parent?

LexImperialis

LexImperialis

I'm at a loss. You can be a terrible doctor or teacher yet a terrible parent. So I ask you, what skills you need to become a good parent? Any book advice is welcomed.

That's a big question....like, how long is a piece of string?  

My rule of thumb was to look at how I was raised and work out what I liked about how they raised me and also, what I'd do differently.   When you look at your own upbringing, what would you do the same and what would you change?

Edited by basil67

I’m not sure it’s about skills as much as a desire to raise happy, healthy kids and then just doing what needs to be done to achieve that. Kids will thrive if they eat healthy, get a lot of physical activity and have good nights sleep. They like routine. Consistency when it comes to rules. So you’re looking to build a life that can offer those things. 

• Like 1

You could try Listen by Wipfler and Schore. Depending on the age of your kids, you could also try What Kindergarten Teachers Know.

If your school districts have free presentations on parenting skills, you should probably give some of them a try, the ones I've been to were pretty good.

11 hours ago, LexImperialis said:

I can't picture myself having kids 

I'm 35, already past my prime and as they say "the clock is ticking".

There's certainly a great deal of information out there about parenting. 

However it's fine either way whether you want children or not.